Mountain Project Logo

Driving from California Bay Area to Sedona. Looking for recommendations for places to climb

Original Post
Mike White · · Berkeley, CA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

I'm mostly into sport but getting back into trad recently. I climbed in Shuteye Ridge last weekend and Donner Summit this weekend and the temps were great. I love Red Rocks but its probably scorching hot, as is Joshua Tree. Anyone got any recommendations of spots to stop at to climb on the way to Sedona? Preferably at altitude to avoid high temps.

Karl K · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 542

Go to High Sierra - Tuolumne.  maybe around Mammoth.
Then.... STOP DRIVING.
Everything from Bishop to Flagstaff will be 95+.
Even Paradise Forks was that hot this weekend (I guess you could chase morning/evening shade there).
Sedona is 100 degrees right now.

Karl K wrote: Go to High Sierra - Tuolumne.  maybe around Mammoth.
Then.... STOP DRIVING.
Everything from Bishop to Flagstaff will be 95+.
Even Paradise Forks was that hot this weekend (I guess you could chase morning/evening shade there).
Sedona is 100 degrees right now.

Thanks for the info! Just as I suspected....

Can you chase shade in Owens River Gorge at the moment? Or maybe some early morning climbing? I haven't been there in years and can't remember 

Margot Richter · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 0

I’m in the east sierra’s (june area) and would probably be down to climb this week if you need a partner 

Wylie · · Bishop, CA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 46

I've climbed in Red rocks in summer.  Beta is to hike in the evening before and bivy (permit needed) or start walking into the canyon as early as possible.  Pick a route that is higher up in a canyon and shade all day.  Hiking in is hot as heck but if you time it right and pick the right route climbing temps can be great.  With a good sun hat, extra water, salty snacks, and a solid game plan you can have great climbing there.   

Dan Mcdevitt · · sierra eastside · Joined May 2014 · Points: 575

Mike
It is possible to climb this time of year in the Owens gorge. Best to go in as early as you can. Good swimming down there too!

Steven Thaw · · Moraga, CA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 5

Hi Mike,
A Best Friend lives in West Sedona so last month we climbed just a couple of miles north of town.
Very high temps there for the last two months. Cathedral Rock, Moose's Buttress, Boyton Canyon, dry Creek, Church Spires Area,
Mormon Canyon, Midgley Ridge (several routes), Village Oak Creek, and Cottonwood dry Creek are some of the places near bye.
We also drove up to Flagstaff drove east to the "Pit" limestone routes in a stream gorge. Mountain Project and "Classic
Sedona climbs" have details. Best Wishes for a Safe, fun and Successful trip! Steve Thaw, Moraga, CA  925-247-4732 celltext

Margot Richter wrote: I’m in the east sierra’s (june area) and would probably be down to climb this week if you need a partner 

Hey Margot, thanks for the message! Our trip flew by and with didn't end up going through the east sierras. But thanks for the invite

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Driving from California Bay Area to Sedona. Loo…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started