Mountain Project Logo

So how has it been at Rumney?

Original Post
Mum Climber · · MA · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

Rumney has been open 4 days, I can’t believe the only update is about a (large) fallen tree. How has it been going, crowded or quiet? Parking lot full? Folks wearing masks and keeping distance? Good behavior or bad behavior? I know the weekend will be more telling, but just wondering if anyone has been.

Abe Weintraub · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 5

If you are an arachnophobe or allergic to wasps best stay away

Peter Jackson · · Rumney, NH · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 445

Hot. Humid. Muggy. Thunderstormy. Mossy, slippery, dirty......

Half full lots (good) and not too many masks in sight (boo).

Eliot Coffey · · Bay Area CA · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Rumney has been reclaimed by the spiders, USFS signed the land over during lockdown. Rumor has it that Shelob signed the contract herself and is sitting at the top of Predator. 

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 239

Small lot at Main Cliff full as usual.  Large lot at Parking Lot/Meadows, pretty empty.  A few parked cars at Buffalo Pit.  Not many climbers away from the main wall.

Nature has reclaimed the areas, which is nice.  Falcons screeching at climbers on Iron Man wall.  Spiders are now silver dollar size.  

Though it was very hot and muggy, it was nice to be back!

mbk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Spiders...  why'd it have to be spiders?

mbk wrote: Spiders...  why'd it have to be spiders?

Cause there was nobody there to kill the black flies and skeeters!  The spiders got fat on the feast!!  

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

I'm curious if there will be more rattle snakes too.

M Sprague wrote: I'm curious if there will be more rattle snakes too.

Probably, if Lee don't get them first.

Matt Levine · · Portsmouth, NH · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 110

Have the weekdays been quiet? I yearn for those days where I used to be able to hit up some of the more obscure crags and see practically no one. 

Mike Lofgren · · Reading, MA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 90

My wife and I climbed at 5.8 crag on Friday. Main Cliff lot was full by 10 am and the larger lot in front of Parking Lot wall was 1/4 full at start and end of day. We saw 2-3 other parties throughout the day @ 5.8 crag, and all parties had masks with them, but were sufficiently distanced to not be required. Everyone communicated/negotiated respectfully. I'm not sure what it was like on Saturday/Sunday, but was surprised at how busy it was for a Friday though I didn't feel uncomfortable.

On our way out, we heard groups were monopolizing top ropes all over Parking Lot wall, but that's common there.

Was out Wednesday (7-15) and only saw one other party at Very Nice Crag area as we headed up to Summit / Yellowknife area.  Usually you can hear people at Hinterlands, if anyone was there.  Quiet all day long.

The other party was just in front of us as we hiked in from Buffalo Pit parking and they had to holler at bear cubs to scat.  All we heard was the hollering, but saw no bear, but it seems they also have expanded their area this year.  Also, the path from Prudential to Hinterlands is completely blocked by fallen trees.  One gigantic tree fell from between Yellowknife and Hinterlands upper path, knocking down a few more on its way, blocking the trail from both Yellowknife and Prudential.  More trail work ahead!

Talking about trail work, a shout out to Chris for the stairs leading up to NW Territories!  Nice work and much appreciated.

Luke Mertins · · Merrimack, NH · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Any updated comment on weekend parking lots?  Is it still reasonable to get a spot or are people coming pretty early?

Mum Climber · · MA · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0
Luke Mertins wrote: Any updated comment on weekend parking lots?  Is it still reasonable to get a spot or are people coming pretty early?

There was space in the main lot at 1.00pm on Sunday. Maybe the heat put people off. We spoke to a group at the swimming hole and they managed to get on clip-a-dee-doo earlier that morning, which would normally be near impossible on a Sunday. A lot of people seemed to be finishing by then.  It was hot.

B G · · New England · Joined May 2018 · Points: 41

Things were busy on Saturday but not *crazy* busy. I heard Main Cliff Left was super packed but we just avoided it altogether. It was crazy hot. 

I tried to book a campsite at the AAC campground earlier this week for FridaySaturday night, this weekend. All were booked. They have 40 sites open right now... back to being a zoo I guess.

Hangdog Steve · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 0

is the day parking area at the aac campground open?

Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

Would someone just install a real-time Parking Lot Cam already?! 

Hangdog Steve wrote: is the day parking area at the aac campground open?

Was not

Greg Pouliot · · Rumney NH · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 90
Hangdog Steve wrote: is the day parking area at the aac campground open?

Overflow parking at the campground and in town is not allowed at the moment. This is an effort to keep crowds manageable. Best bet is to get here early if you want a spot. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "So how has it been at Rumney?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started