Mountain Project Logo

South sister conditions?

Original Post
Logan Hugmeyer · · Salem · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 6

Just wondering what the trail and snow conditions are on South Sister right now? I've only been in late summer when it is a dusty scree slog. 

Max W · · NY, NY · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Skinned/booted up and skied down from the top yesterday (July 2). I’d say about a 50/50 snow and rock mix, each of these you could do more of if so inclined. Did notice a decent size glide crack on the west side of Lewis Glacier but nothing alarming. Have fun up there!

Max W wrote: Skinned/booted up and skied down from the top yesterday (July 2). I’d say about a 50/50 snow and rock mix, each of these you could do more of if so inclined. Did notice a decent size glide crack on the west side of Lewis Glacier but nothing alarming. Have fun up there!

I made it up yesterday as well. 

For anyone else wondering there was intermittent snow patches about a mile and a half up the trail. Easily walkable. Some snow on the sandy plain. Decent snow from the sandy plain to the Lewis glacier. A scree slog up the ridge with a small snow patch on the traverse from the ridge to the crater rim. I took crampons and used them for the middle third of the climb. Was happy with the decision to bring them though many people were using micro spikes just fine. Even a couple unprepared kids in road running shoes and jeans, no jackets, packs or water made it but thats just dumb to me. I left the parking lot at 5:08 and made the summit at 11:30. Back to my car at 3:30. It was a good day.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "South sister conditions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started