Mountain Project Logo

My first time at Maple Canyon...

Original Post
phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

...and I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the wonderful Knezek/Knight guidebook.  Besides the obvious benefits of the approach beta, sun/shade info, and good photos, the best thing about this book is the wonderful route descriptions for every route.  As much care and enthusiasm was put into describing a 5.7 as a 5.14.  It was worth the price of the book just to read the descriptions.  I see so many people at different climbing areas these days relying solely on Mountain Project to navigate and identify routes.  MP is a great supplement to new routes, but I personally just love a good guidebook.

While I'm at it, I'd like to mention a new local business.  Standing Bear RV Park, with full hookups (water, sewer, electric) at every site,  just opened a month ago.  It's 2 miles south of the Maple Canyon turnoff in Fountain Green.  It took us only 15 minutes to make it into the Canyon every day.  Right now, the "park" is a very large, mostly dirt field, but the really nice owners, Jennifer and Darryl, are planting trees and hope to make it more hospitable as time passes.  With the excellent cell phone reception at that location, it was a great spot for our weeklong stay.  

Matt Swaim · · SLC · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 61

Good to know about the new camping. I remember the RV park north of the canyon was asking wayyyy too much for essentially a parking space.

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

I think they might allow regular car/tent camping there but I'm not sure.  The office is open 8AM-8PM and inside there are two bath rooms with 2 showers and toilets each.  But there is no access to a bathroom after hours so there may be some regulatory issues with renting to people who don't have a functioning toilet in their vehicle. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "My first time at Maple Canyon..."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started