Mountain Project Logo

Natural anchor top rope areas around Reno-Tahoe?

Original Post
Mike Higdon · · Reno, NV · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 153

Hey all, I've been exploring a lot of the Reno-area/region climbs since COVID. My wife, who is not a climber, has agreed to belay me but I'm only doing top rope with her since she has no experience/training on anything else. I've been trying to hit the bolted top rope spots around the area but there just aren't that many and they aren't that great. I was wondering if anyone has any places where they've set up natural anchors. It would have to be something I could walk/scramble up to and set then come down. I wonder if there are even existing sport or trade routes that have a solid boulder or tree at the top where I could do that. Any suggestions on locations would be great. Even drop a pin on a Google Map and put the link in and I can hike in, etc.

Thanks!

Glowering · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 16

There are great bolted ones. 90 foot wall. Twin Crags. Donner Summit. Castle Rock.

Donner Summit has plenty of trad pro anchor ones too.

Christoph Merriner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 10

88 is where it’s at. A lot of the climbing out there is undocumented and really good. Woodfords the closest with plenty of trees to sling and even quite a few bolts. Or put on your adventure hat and head west.

Kelley Gilleran · · Meadow Vista · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,812

Emeralds, and Bowman have TR options (not gear).

Phantom has alot of TR on the 50 side. Wright's lake can be TR with some effort also on 50 side.

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

Get some time in at 90 foot wall before it gets too hot.  It's south facing.  Excellent climbing with a ten minute approach.  Very easy to walk around to the top.  Opportunities for tree anchors and solid gear anchors and IIRC there are a few bolted anchors up there too (too lazy to look it up in my book).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Natural anchor top rope areas around Reno-Tahoe?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started