Mountain Project Logo

DIY trigger wire replacement

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 451
Stefan Griebel wrote:

The correct diameter weed-wacker line (to fit the hole in the cam properly) and a match to melt the end so it won't pull through has worked great for me.

0.065" diameter is perfect. Cut it long, put it in the trigger first, get the tension right, then trim and melt the ends. 

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
Stefan Griebel wrote:

The correct diameter weed-wacker line (to fit the hole in the cam properly) and a match to melt the end so it won't pull through has worked great for me.

Can anyone confirm this works with the BD C4 Ultralights?  The wire (and hole) size are slightly smaller, so anything that works with the original C4s doesn't necessarily work with the Ultralights (verified by buying a bunch of the C4 repair kits only to return them when none of the 0.75, 1, 2, or 4 kits would fit in the cam hole.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
Kevin Heckeler wrote:

Can anyone confirm this works with the BD C4 Ultralights?  The wire (and hole) size are slightly smaller, so anything that works with the original C4s doesn't necessarily work with the Ultralights (verified by buying a bunch of the C4 repair kits only to return them when none of the 0.75, 1, 2, or 4 kits would fit in the cam hole.

Bump?

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 451
Kevin Heckeler wrote:

Bump?

They sell smaller diameter line. I don't have access to ultralights to test my thicker line. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Adam Fleming wrote:

They sell smaller diameter line. I don't have access to ultralights to test my thicker line. 

The thinnest I've ever seen is .050, and  that was years ago. It seems there's a trend to heavier line like .080 and .095.

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

I measured my ultralight wire at 0.88mm, or 0.035 inches

2021 EDIT:

The BD C4 0.3 and BD Ultralights use (almost) the same size wire. 20 gauge wire works in both, but 19 gauge also works on the Ultralights (tight fit, might vary from cam to cam)

For the larger C4 cams 18 gauge wire works.

Aaron Liebling · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 947
Chris Topher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 5
K Weber wrote: Classic break on a BD .3. Black Diamond should fix those for free.

Funny you say that - out of all my BD cams the .3 wires look worse than the others no matter what. 

Keith Wood · · Elko, NV · Joined May 2019 · Points: 480

How do you get the factory swages off in the first place?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Keith Wood wrote: How do you get the factory swages off in the first place?

I cut them lengthwise with a Dremel cut off wheel.

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 674
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "DIY trigger wire replacement"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started