Mountain Project Logo

Most classic boulder problem of each grade in the country

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,362
Josh Wood wrote: Any love for High Plains Drifter and Seven Spanish Angels? FWIW these are the highest rated V7 and V6 on MP by a decent margin. 

Both great but there are better out there. High Plains recently broke and im not sure on the grade now.

Julia W · · New Hampsire · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 40
Lincoln Mahan wrote: V4- Jedi Mind Tricks is better than Ironman imo but, have you tried Overlooked out in Pawtuckaway?

Overlooked in Pway is an amazing problem 

Alan Zhan · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 156
Mike Brady wrote:

Both great but there are better out there. High Plains recently broke and im not sure on the grade now.

What broke on high plains? That far right good crimp that is used to hit the first sidepull sloper never looked that solid to me.

Joe Kreidel · · San Antonio, TX · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,495

v5 - Jingus Bells at Hueco Tanks. 

kiff · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,035

Speaking for the Northeast (at least), Black Jack Crack should be considered for best V2 or 3.  Though generally thought of as a gear climb, it isn't any taller than a lot of the aforementioned highballs and is definitely better than The Whip.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115
randy baum wrote: 
v7 the wind below, joes

I was also going to vote for The Wind Below for the classic V7.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
Jordan Gans wrote: V7 - Babyface @ Hueco is prob my favorite of the grade.

This is correct. The biggest miss as far as not including some obvious Hueco lines except possibly full service

Nicky Batts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 21

Eliminator. HorseTooth

Dylan Demyanek · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 3,758
Troll in the Dungeon ! wrote: Why are some of you rating problems you clearly haven't sent? 

Because if the criteria for having an opinion on this topic included having sent all of the best boulders at every grade around the country, there would be virtually nothing to talk about here. It's just for fun.

Alan Zhan wrote:

What broke on high plains? That far right good crimp that is used to hit the first sidepull sloper never looked that solid to me.

I forget but Im pretty thats the one. It was a video on a friends IG story so I cant go back and find it. If my memory serves me, it was like the third hold. It has been a lot of years since I have been on it so im a bit dusty on the sequence,

Maxwell Fucheck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 5
BFK wrote: This thread got me thinking, anyone know where the last problem in this video is located (named Steppin Razor V10 in the film)?
https://vimeo.com/39248560

I remember watching this vid years ago and thinking that problem was one of the sickest lines I'd ever seen. Over the years I've never heard anything about it and google searches for the name/location/grade produce nothing. Maybe it was misnamed in the film?

Wasn’t misnamed. This is in the Gunks.

Joe mama · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 35

Wills a fire is the best v6 in the country. 

Joe mama wrote:

Wills a fire is a good v5 in North America

fixed that for ya

Joe mama · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 35
Michael Brady wrote:

fixed that for ya

brutal

Joe mama wrote:

brutal

Lol.

Just bustin chops. It IS one of the greats but to call it thee greatest (any problem for that matter) is a bit over-hyped IMO. The V5/V6 arena has soooo many to choose from.

As far as calling it V5, that is purely just what it felt like to me. I have only spent about a half hour with the line but it seems very beta intensive to me so maybe I just got lucky on my read of the line

Kyle Love · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 2,321

Oh my god, The Iron Man Traverse makes another appearance!  

In the land of the best highball climbing in the world, and people all gravitate towards this thing... I mean, sure it's fun, but still...

Jedi is definitely one problem that is better and in the same area. I wanna go try Overlooked in Pawtuckaway now though, since all you guys seem to love it!

Alan Toka · · Phoenix · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 10

Three Pigs (V0) at Stoney Point is classic, IMO.

Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756
Kyle Love wrote:

Oh my god, The Iron Man Traverse makes another appearance!  

In the land of the best highball climbing in the world, and people all gravitate towards this thing... I mean, sure it's fun, but still...

Jedi is definitely one problem that is better and in the same area. I wanna go try Overlooked in Pawtuckaway now though, since all you guys seem to love it!

Definitely definitely go in September or October. The fact it is in the buggiest of buggy spots is a testament to how great it is. You also walk past ride the lightning v6 and dope man v8 is just past it.

Kole H · · Denver · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

The angler in joes also competes at V2

Alan Toka wrote:

Three Pigs (V0) at Stoney Point is classic, IMO.

Except for the fact that its comprised of piton scars and is an eliminate....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bouldering
Post a Reply to "Most classic boulder problem of each grade in t…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started