Mountain Project Logo

Gratitude thread

Original Post
David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

I'm grateful that my job was remote before this crisis, and is mostly unaffected. I'm grateful that I'm personally not in any risk groups. I'm grateful that my family is all healthy so far, and taking measures to stay that way. I'm grateful that I have a place to stay, with roommates so I can get some in-person human interaction. I'm grateful for modern technology that allows me to see the faces and hear the voices of people I can't be with in person. I'm grateful for modern medicine, without which this pandemic would be so much worse.

What are you all grateful for?

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 52

Pert near everything! Even with all of the disasters & pain in my life I have much more to be grateful for.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Chocolate.

Peter Lansdale · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 50

Grateful that I didn't put a bunch of effort into training this season only to get shut down. All part of the plan of course. 

Francesca Parratt · · Worthing, West Sussex · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 160

I’m grateful for all the weird and obscure documentaries available on amazon prime and Netflix. My knowledge of cryptozoology, the frontier times and rednecks raising tigers as pets now has no end!

Also grateful for my soft and fluffy kitten for entertaining me and being a buddy, my parents who I’m lucky enough to currently live with, imported American candy because I can’t be there right now and the fact I still have my Sega and Nintendo from my youth laying about.

When this is over I’m going to be so, so grateful for any rock I can touch, every gym session, seeing my friends and family again and going back to work.

:) 

Etha Williams · · Twentynine Palms, CA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 349

I'm grateful to have friends only a text/videochat away and to know that many of them want to reach out, too. I'm grateful for my roommates, neighbors, and local community, who are all doing their best to help each other and make the best of this incredibly difficult and unexpected situation. I'm grateful not to have to worry about my basic needs right now and to have at least short-term job security.

I'm also grateful for many of the things I've learned through climbing and recreating in the mountains. The time I've spent climbing has helped me listen to fear without letting it control me. It's given me tools to think about individual and collective risk, reflect on my past decisions in a growth-oriented way, and feel more confident making decisions amidst uncertainty. And it's given me practice in communicating my own needs and concerns and listening to others'.

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 110

For my two cats who are oblivious to current situation 
For my partner who is still healthy despite  front line job
For my kids who don’t have front line jobs
For having shelter to shelter in
For parents in the 80s who are healthy and smart
For living in the USA and not India, Afrika, or Russia

Gail Blauer · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,051

I am so grateful to be "grounded".  I fly almost every day of the week (I am NOT a pilot or flight attendant) and I am so happy to be home.  Before this shut down, I had already flown 50, 000 miles this year.  I am savoring every moment in my yard, kitchen, neighborhood, car and most of all  with my SO and family. 

Steph Evans · · Belgrade, MT · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

I'm grateful for my fiance, the human growing in my belly, having a place to live and hang out while this is all going on, unemployment, my health!, the other government programs available to those of us out of work or not working enough and online work outs!

B P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0

I’m grateful that somehow I have ended up being in social distancing with the woman I love in a beautiful cabin on a river.
I am relieved that my family has taken this seriously and stayed healthy.
I am also grateful that we somehow, despite the recklessness of our 20’s, have ended up with financial security.

And thank god for running, IPA and Old Fashioned's. 

Oops
People. Especially those with a sense of humour!
normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 110
B P wrote:IPA and Old Fashioned's. 

Not to derail the thread, but if you want real maraschino cherries for your old fashioned...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ted-allen/real-maraschino-cherries-recipe-2102576
KathyS · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 125

I have food, shelter and TP.  Oh, and chocolate.  I have a cat for quiet company and friends on the phone.  No one I know is currently sick.  I can work from home, though it is harder, but I have a job and health insurance.  I have a couple acres of woods to wander in and exercise equipment downstairs.  My heart goes out to those who don't have these comforts.  I miss climbing, but I've been sidelined by injury before, and I know I can come back.

B P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0
normajean wrote:

Not to derail the thread, but if you want real maraschino cherries for your old fashioned...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ted-allen/real-maraschino-cherries-recipe-2102576

Oh man that’s embarrassing, I forgot the damn cherries last night. 

I knew I was missing something. Damn noob.
F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 995

I’m coming up on my tenth anniversary of moving from Fort Wayne, Indiana to the Western Slope. Looking through the last ten years’ worth of adventures, I realize that I’m especially grateful for two things:

One: the landscape. Wide open public lands full of rejuvenating natural beauty and a lifetime of exploration.

Two: the people. I saw a Rab sticker once with the quote “The greatest thing I’ve gotten from climbing was friendship.” Looking back on all the beautiful souls with whom I’ve shared a rope / road trip / bivy, I’m inclined to agree. Alex G, Tim N, Tyler M, Helen B, Andy M, and many more.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
revans wrote: Ooooops for some reason I read the title wrong

It's still a good song. Brings back memories.

MAKB · · Denver, CO. · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 13,100

Thankful I get to live in Colorado!
Thankful for nice sunny weather to ease the stress during difficult times.
Thankful I got enough tea to last a while!
Thankful for this thread! 

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 995

And also, I’m grateful for the Mountain Project community...

For partners met, both one-time and lifelong.

For hours profligately well-spent, both schiessin’ the scheiss and discussing things useful and meaningful.

For the painful but necessary personal growth afforded by a certain situation I posted about in December of 2018. People’s responses forced me to take a hard look at how I was acting and overreacting, and confront my blind spots.

For gotez.

For couches, showers and hot meals offered by strangers when I was on the road.

For providing the ever-elusive number to Rock and Resole.

For a steady supply of used gear to buy and sell.

My heartfelt gratitude to the creators and sustainers of this little corner of the internet. Stay healthy and safe out there, friends.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

This thread is making me sick.

Tradiban wrote: This thread is making me sick.

Call the Tradiban hotline!

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

I'm grateful I found a spot I can boulder outdoors. It's on a friend's property and the boulders are small and weird, but I know nobody has touched with coronavirus hands because I had to brush off moss to get at the holds. Chossy V1s in the sun is still better than a day indoors.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Gratitude thread"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.