Mountain Project Logo

Steep CO trails

Original Post
Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

I know this isn't really the right place, but other forums aren't the best.  Does anyone know of any trails in Colorado that are fairly steep, and have little to no switchbacks?  Basically just trails that go straight up a mountain.  

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

The Manitou Incline (which is currently closed).

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

what's your take on steep? you looking for front country stuff? if so, a lot of people consider mt. morrison pretty aggressive... if not, there are a lot of high country scrambles available once the snow melts...

Anywhere really.  I am training for a race in Alaska that pretty much goes straight up a mountain.  Steep as in if its wet or muddy, you would have a difficult time getting up.

sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

The Incline is 2,000ft in less than a mile. I don't think any trail is steeper as it would just errode, unless you're bushwhacking straight up a slope.

Robert Rowsam · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 230

Mt. Garfield in GJ is alternating very steep and flat. 2000 ft in 2 miles with almost no switchbacks 

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 80

The Trail of the Ancients at Devils Head. Precursor trail to the lookout before they built the highway version.
The old original North Table Mountain approach was a straight up line along the fence on the west side.
The trail to Crater Lakes from the East Portal Moffat Tunnel is steep, just a couple switchbacks.

Come to think of it, this is an odd request  

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825

When is this race? Most trail races across the country are cancelled or having permits pulled.

Peter Beal wrote: When is this race? Most trail races across the country are cancelled or having permits pulled.

July 4th

PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

Mt. Powell in the Gore Range
Airplane Gully to Navajo Peak
Iron Gates to Mt. Meeker
Red Gully on Crestone
Thatchtop

Thanks everyone!

S E · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 878

Any steep snow line. Just bring crampons. Mount Morrison has some switchbacks but is still one of the steepest trails I know in the front range. You could also go off trail on it and go straight up the east face. 

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

Freeway on the Second Flatiron

Nick Andrasik · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Bear Peak via Shadow Canyon gains almost 2k in 1.25 miles or so. The section of steep gain is pretty straight, not a lot of switchbacks.

Shadow Canyon is a great recommendation from Nick but I doubt that race is going to happen. Big trail races are falling left and right. 

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 17

I'll be surprised if the Mount Marathon race continues as planned.  And if I were training for it I would look for cross-country (aka off-trail) routes.

Kate Sedrowski · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0
Long Ranger wrote: Freeway on the Second Flatiron

A few advantages to this is, if you have a good imagination, you can think that you're doing the rockclimbing thing, it's a large face, so avoiding people is easy, and you won't add to the problem of erosion.

Long Ranger wrote:

A few advantages to this is, if you have a good imagination, you can think that you're doing the rockclimbing thing, it's a large face, so avoiding people is easy, and you won't add to the problem of erosion.

And if you are just a little bit not careful and start falling down it, you'll suddenly realize that you were doing the rockclimbing thing but now it's too late to fix things.

Peter Beal wrote:

And if you are just a little bit not careful and start falling down it, you'll suddenly realize that you were doing the rockclimbing thing but now it's too late to fix things.

Despite what some may claim, Freeway is Class 4, not 5.13.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Steep CO trails"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started