Mountain Project Logo

Climbing gym and coronavirus

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Oka everyone take a deep breath. Keep in mind that most of those who are infected show little to no symptoms, now couple that with the lack of testing, and it is very likely that the incidence of infection is much higher than has been documented. The upshot of that is that, factoring in those who are asymptomatic and undiagnosed, the mortality rate is much lower than has been observed, baring any aggressive mutation. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Covid-19 dashboard: https://ncov2019.live/

Gumby boy king · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 547

No one has said it yet, but YERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Rock Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 179
Gumby the White wrote: No one has said it yet, but YERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Short Fall Sean wrote:(Runs into room excitedly, slips on banana peel, while skidding across room and straight out back door yells) "You're gonna diiiieee!!"

Chris Cragsocks wrote:Does your gym allow barefoot climbing? If so, YGD.  

Tradiban wrote:Yer all gonna DIE!!!!!!!!!!!! 

its always like the 1st thing said ... 90%  (as real as any other fact on this thread) of MP's 1st replies are just someone saying YGD.
Arlo F Niederer · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 515

Classic example of a "think for yourselfer" in this story:

Here's a hypothetical scenario to ponder: If a doctor told you that you might have contracted the coronavirus, which has put literally the entire world on edge and that you needed to avoid other people for a while, would you listen to that person or instead go out to a social event hours later?

According to multiple reports, the man who contracted New Hampshire's first case of coronavirus — formally known as COVID-19 — decided to go with the second option.

The New York Times reported Thursday that the patient in question was an employee of the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire. After being examined last Friday by a medical worker due to signs of possible coronavirus infection — i.e., flu-like symptoms following a trip to virus-affected Italy — doctors recommended that he quarantine himself while waiting for further medical testing.

But rather than following that advice, the Times reported, the patient went to a mixer for doctors and college students that very night and was confirmed as having the virus days later. Following his social foray, the partygoer has been ordered into quarantine by the state's health commissioner.

There were 175-200 people at the event...

I repeat, if you're sick - STAY HOME!

Ska ggs wrote:

Short Fall Sean wrote:(Runs into room excitedly, slips on banana peel, while skidding across room and straight out back door yells) "You're gonna diiiieee!!"

Chris Cragsocks wrote:Does your gym allow barefoot climbing? If so, YGD.  

Tradiban wrote:Yer all gonna DIE!!!!!!!!!!!! 

its always like the 1st thing said ... 90%  (as real as any other fact on this thread) of MP's 1st replies are just someone saying YGD.

YERRRRRRRRRRRRR GUNNAAAAAA die

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

Ya Gonna Die!

Gumby King wrote: Ya Gonna Die!

#OKGUMBY

Gumby the White wrote:

#OKGUMBY

Some people might take offense to that like #OkBoomer ( cnn.com/2020/01/15/politics… )

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 80

If you're not wearing this rig at either the gym or crag, I don't want to know you.

EFS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 160

just a different point of view. my old lady works in a hospital. they put out a notice for everyone to stay away from large groups, enclosed areas, etc. she said never before have they posted anything like this. she was supposed to go to a wine show tomorrow, had a room booked, and i think the tix were 70 each. her and her friend bailed, got the money back for the room but had to eat the tix. shes not going there because its total asses to elbows the whole day. and a bunch of people just were reported to have it in nyc....

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Mike Arechiga wrote: Same risk as any other flu virus!!!

Well, since I am pretty certain I got the (normal) flu a year ago in the local climbing gym, I'll take that as a seriously bad thing.

Eastvillage · · New York, NY · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 80

Wash your hands.  Wash your hands. Wash your hands.
Keep living life.  Your gonna die eventually.

Gumby the Younger wrote: Gumbys going at it? 

We could use a third!  Want to join?

James W wrote: Person A has an infectious disease

Person B comes in contact with person A's pathogen

Does not equate with any quantifiable scientific evidence that person B will get person A's disease X percent of the time.
What epidemiology classes have you taken (and obviously failed)?

So what's the X factor? It's called your immune system and bodies natural defense. Get some.
Your immune system is totally inadequate since it's never seen this pathogen.
And how do you "get some" immune system and so called "natural defense"?
Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

It seems that it’s not that serious after all. 0.6% mortality rate in S Korea so far 

Fehim Hasecic wrote: It seems that it’s not that serious after all.
Maybe. But since it's a single data point, that conclusion is wildly premature.

What is your motivation of downplaying the potential seriousness of this illness?
Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Marc801 C wrote: Your immune system is totally inadequate since it's never seen this pathogen.
So, with no cure, and hundreds of known survivors, are these pure miracles?  Not to mention how many may have been infected and never reported. Hello. 
Greg D wrote: So, with no cure, and hundreds of known survivors, are these pure miracles?  Not to mention how many may have been infected and never reported. Hello. 

You're ignoring virulence, transmissability, and infection rate. You're also ignoring the raw death rate of confirmed cases, which is far higher than any known flu-like illness.

How many epidemiology courses have you failed?
Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215
Marc801 C wrote: Maybe. But since it's a single data point, that conclusion is wildly premature.

What is your motivation of downplaying the potential seriousness of this illness?

Potential seriousness of this will be determined down the line. Right now it’s too early to determine which way it will turn out, but all you hear the past month on the media is doom and gloom. I can’t imagine in what state are the people that get their news from cable TV. 

Costco in my f-ing area is out of TP! Seriously?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing gym and coronavirus"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started