Mountain Project Logo

Mercedes or vans that aren’t you home 24/7 isn’t dirtbagging!

Original Post
Justin Sanger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 35

Just because you pull up to Jumbo Rocks and snag some families unused parking spot on their camp site in your $65k Sprinter build out or camp by the crag on the weekends in your dodge doesn’t make you a dirtbag. Quite to the contrary your Instagram lifestyle it makes you ass pain. This guy was dirtbagging and from the looks he’s been doing it for a long time now. Hopefully the little given got him to some good rock and he probably crashed on that pad harder than a pebble puller
zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 790

That might be the first ever situation I'd actually give to a panhandler.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

If you work hard and save money, you can own a Sprinter, too. Don't be jealous.

chris tregge · · Madison WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 11,036

What's that about a '73 911 in front of you?  Sweet!  

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

Was that guy a climber or did he just lift the pad? 

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Is that Kentucky Pete?

FrankPS wrote: If you work hard and save money, you can own a Sprinter, too. Don't be jealous.

I could easily afford a Sprinter a Tacoma is just way more practical than pretending to rough it in an over priced DIY camper. 

J D · · SC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 25

Why does everyone assume that everyone in a van build out thinks they're dirtbags? I know several people in builds and none of them identify this way? 

Steven Lee · · El Segundo, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 385
Jay Dee wrote: Why does everyone assume that everyone in a van build out thinks they're dirtbags? I know several people in builds and none of them identify this way? 

Agreed. I know a few who would not identify themselves as dirtbags. The sprinter is a really convenient way to be very comfortable anywhere they go. Don't pay for hotels for a few years, sell when they have kids. It works out for them. No dirtbag identity included

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Why  are  so  many  as hats  like  the  OP hating  on  camper  Van's. What  makes  that  tool okay  for  boondocking  in a   pickup truck  but  I am a  pain for  doing the same thing in  my 06  sprinter  that I  just  happened to  put a  shit  ton of work  into  to make it nice.   Too many mean jealous  people  in this world. 

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Nick Goldsmith wrote: Why  are  so  many  as hats  like  the  OP hating  on  camper  Van's. What  makes  that  tool okay  for  boondocking  in a   pickup truck  but  I am a  pain for  doing the same thing in  my 06  sprinter  that I  just  happened to  put a  shit  ton of work  into  to make it nice.   Too many mean jealous  people  in this world. 

Its a funny picture though...

Karen Hammersmith · · Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 0
Nick Goldsmith wrote: Why  are  so  many  as hats  like  the  OP hating  on  camper  Van's. What  makes  that  tool okay  for  boondocking  in a   pickup truck  but  I am a  pain for  doing the same thing in  my 06  sprinter  that I  just  happened to  put a  shit  ton of work  into  to make it nice.   Too many mean jealous  people  in this world. 

This. Dude with IPA belly in the photo looks like the uses the pad to sleep on. Fun to romanticize homelessness to fit your view of the world!

Some of us don't live vanlife cuz trustfund, it's a place to live cuz rents is too damn high!
Joy likes trad · · Southern California · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 71

Breathing yet?

Car Lo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 5
Justin Sanger wrote:

I could easily afford a Sprinter a Tacoma is just way more practical than pretending to rough it in an over priced DIY camper. 

Dont kid yourself. Rocking around and sleeping in a Tacoma, and having the ability to buy a sprinter ain't giving you dirtbagging status either

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Car Lo wrote:

Dont kid yourself. Rocking around and sleeping in a Tacoma, and having the ability to buy a sprinter ain't giving you dirtbagging status either

It doesn't appear that Justin is seeking dirtbag status.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Cpn Dunsel wrote: Having a vehicle of any kind is hardly dirt bagging.  It's boujie shit all the way.   Real dirt bagging has not existed in 3 decades.  It's all faux and pretense and image management now.

The only true dirt bagging is being legitimately homeless.

Anyone with capabilities of even posting on the web is the furthest away from dirt bagging as is mathematically and scientifically possible.
Dirt bagging means you're getting a significant portion of your food out of dumpsters behind restaurants and grocery stores.
Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

Dirt bagging in a sprinter is as real as back stepping in rope management.

Insert name · · Harts Location · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 46
Car Lo wrote:

Van buildout = people who have to much money to pretend the dirtbag life for IG. Can be seen posing for photos in any outdoor activity since their career is “social media influenced”.

Tacoma= Flatbrimmed CaliBros who are the Chads of climbing. Can be seen lurking climbing gyms near your local college for any girl in Yoga pants or other friends that look exactly like them.
Subaru= Think people with vans or Tacoma’s are destroying the planet, justify their AWD for the .5” of snow they get in their hometown. Wear homemade tyedye and listen to only Phish.
B P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0
Julian H wrote: Nobody owning a sprinter or dodge claims to be a dirtbag. They just give girtbagging a bad reputation. 

Well that’s bullshit. 

There have been a handful of “dirtbag mobile” vehicles for sale on MP for a mere 60-120k

Saving money by living in a decked out camper van is a joke seeing how I pay less than 2k a month living in LA County. Even if I paid 2k a month that’s that’s 24k a year. Judging by the average prices you see just on MP alone you aren’t saving money on a Van. I also don’t have to maintain my house and hope it never gets wrecked by a dear or throws a belt. To address “boondocking” whatever that means, I’ll assume it’s what y’all call “stealth camping” I don’t do that because I’m an adult and pay for my campsites or sleep on BLM land. The Tacoma was the better choice seeing how I can off-road with it and actually fit down trails without worrying about tree branches destroying the top. I do love the Tacoma stereo types above because they fit pretty well aside from the flat brim hat. Rolled brim keeps the sun out of my eyes. 

nat vorel · · ok · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 509
Justin Sanger wrote: Saving money by living in a decked out camper van is a joke seeing how I pay less than 2k a month living in LA County. Even if I paid 2k a month that’s that’s 24k a year. Judging by the average prices you see just on MP alone you aren’t saving money on a Van. I also don’t have to maintain my house and hope it never gets wrecked by a dear or throws a belt. To address “boondocking” whatever that means, I’ll assume it’s what y’all call “stealth camping” I don’t do that because I’m an adult and pay for my campsites or sleep on BLM land. The Tacoma was the better choice seeing how I can off-road with it and actually fit down trails without worrying about tree branches destroying the top. I do love the Tacoma stereo types above because they fit pretty well aside from the flat brim hat. Rolled brim keeps the sun out of my eyes. 

To be fair, if you end up living in a van for 3+ years, then you would be saving money since most vans I’ve seen sell on here were for under $72k, or $24k a year. Also, a simple buildout can be done easily for under $24k if you know what you’re doing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Mercedes or vans that aren’t you home 24/7 isn’…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started