Mountain Project Logo

Ice climbing or winter alpine climbing in Wisconsin/Minnesota (Turtle Lake, WI and/or Minneapolis area)

Original Post
Chris Bamat · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Hey!

I live in Colorado, but recently learned that I'll be spending most of my winter in Wisconsin for a work project this year (unfortunately...haha, j/k don't get all angry).

I'll be up front and say that I know nothing about winter climbing in this area and I haven't done any research of my own yet. I'll be starting that soon, but figured I'd post here in the meantime as well. I'm interested in beta for easy solo climbing as well as potential partners. I have and can bring all necessary gear, and have a good amount of winter climbing experience.

I'll be staying in/near Turtle Lake, WI and am looking for potential partners during a few weekends this winter and any beta anyone would like to share. Feel free to hit me up directly if you'd like to chat, and thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks!

Andy Eiter · · Madison, WI · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 276
Chris Bamat wrote: Hey!

I live in Colorado, but recently learned that I'll be spending most of my winter in Wisconsin for a work project this year (unfortunately...haha, j/k don't get all angry).

I'll be up front and say that I know nothing about winter climbing in this area and I haven't done any research of my own yet. I'll be starting that soon, but figured I'd post here in the meantime as well. I'm interested in beta for easy solo climbing as well as potential partners. I have and can bring all necessary gear, and have a good amount of winter climbing experience.

I'll be staying in/near Turtle Lake, WI and am looking for potential partners during a few weekends this winter and any beta anyone would like to share. Feel free to hit me up directly if you'd like to chat, and thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks!

You'll be four hours from Wyalusing (WI) five and a half hours from Starved Rock (IL) and six hours from Pictured Rocks (MI). You should join the Midwest Ice Climbing  Conditions Facebook page for conditions updates and partners.

Kyle Lengling · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

You'll also be 1.5hr away from Sandstone MN which has farmed ice during the winters. 

Awesome, thanks for the info guys - that gives me a great start!

Zach Woodward · · Duluth, MN · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 16

Theres also a decent amount of mixed climbing up in Duluth (2ish hours away) - everything from vert M6 to overhanging M13 in an old train tunnel

Luke W · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 25

I spent a few winters in Wisconsin. If I were you I’d quit that job and stay in Colorado.

Burton Lindquist · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 4,220

Chris..  You will find winter in WISCO is super fun if you are an active outdoor enthusiast....  plenty of super fun stuff to do without too much driving and certainly without having to deal with Front Range crowds.

Gokul G · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 1,748

It's over 6 hrs from Turtle Lake to Munising. That seems kinda ridiculous! Almost an hour longer than driving from Madison.

But nevermind, you've got gobs of ice within 4 hrs of you, in MN, IA and WI. And a fair bit within 2.5 hrs (Twin Cities, Sandstone, Duluth, Winona).

Luke W · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 25

Outdoor winter activities in Wisconsin are mostly limited to cross country skiing, ice fishing, and snow mobiling. Ice climbing is few and far between and alpine climbing is non-existent. You best bet is probably making a couple trips to Munising where there is very good ice. 

Paul Kalifatidi · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Nobody will second this, but Baraboo has ice if you look hard enough and know the right people.

Luke Whitesides wrote: I spent a few winters in Wisconsin. If I were you I’d quit that job and stay in Colorado.

Haha! Oh, I'm not leaving CO (even with the goddamn crowds), just have to spend a few weeks at a time throughout the winter helping set up some manufacturing in a new-to-us factory.

Thanks to everyone for the general info and leads. I'm headed out there late this week for about 10 days and will probably just plan on doing my research while I'm there this time. I'll be back for 2 weeks in December and 2 weeks in January, so I'll probably be posting in here again leading up to that to see if anyone is interested in working out a trip or two while I'm out there.

Thanks!!
Petah Lenz · · minneapolis/st.paul · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 205
Chris Bamat wrote: Awesome, thanks for the info guys - that gives me a great start!

Check out The Sandstone Ice Festival! First full weekend in 2020. A great way to meet folks who love to talk Midwest Ice climbing!

https://www.facebook.com/events/2434862069969089/

Mike Henderson · · Ogden, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1

Winona minnesota has an ice park 600 feet above the river valley that has 100 ice routes for leading or tr. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Ice climbing or winter alpine climbing in Wisco…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started