Mountain Project Logo

Jacks canyon (Asylum) guidebook?

Original Post
Jeremiah Moore · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0

I think I’m heading here the first week of April 2020.  I have an old handwritten guide of the Asylum from the early 2000’s but am looking for a newer printed guide if that exists?  Thanks for any info/ beta anyone can provide.  Jeremiah

Kief Manning · · Elgin, AZ · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Deidre burton wrote one about ten years ago. Check abebooks.com probably find one cheap

Eric D · · Gnarnia · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 235

Have you climbed there before?  In all likelihood it will be way too hot to climb there in April. That place is a solar oven. 

Thanks Kief!  So the 2009 version of the guidebook includes the asylum?
Eric D-thanks,  I have been there several times about 15 years ago and come to think of it, it was during the winter.  I guess we’ll head to the shade at jacks if it’s too warm there

Eric D wrote: Have you climbed there before?  In all likelihood it will be way too hot to climb there in April. That place is a solar oven. 

April could go either way. Been early cold here in AZ. The new year could be a crap shoot as to weather

jeremiahmoore2004 Moore wrote: Thanks Kief!  So the 2009 version of the guidebook includes the asylum?
Eric D-thanks,  I have been there several times about 15 years ago and come to think of it, it was during the winter.  I guess we’ll head to the shade at jacks if it’s too warm there

I will try and pull it off the shelves and let you know. Haven’t been up there in a few years either. Hang tight 

mark Hofmeister · · Flagstaff,Az · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 55

Also on rockclimbing.com there is a good guide for the asylum. 

74 routes in Deidre’s book at Asylum. Ranging mainly 10a to 14a with one just marked “5” “good for beginners

Kief Manning wrote: 74 routes in Deidre’s book at Asylum. Ranging mainly 10a to 14a with one just marked “5” “good for beginners

Thanks for checking that out for me!  And thanks for all the good info!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Jacks canyon (Asylum) guidebook?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started