Mountain Project Logo

The “Bro’s” of Climbing

Original Post
Gumby boy king · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 547

As our sport struggles to diversify, we can’t help but notice the persistent bro culture that still exists at the gym and crag. You know, the dudes without their shirts, tatted up, big puffy arms, backwards hat, etc... at the crag it may be some kids smoking spliffs with their Bluetooth speakers. The image is clear and we have all seen it and/or been a part of it.

Where did this bro culture come from? I believe than John Long was the first “bro” of climbing. The dude was yoked, sprayed harder than anyone else, smoked ganj like there was no tomorrow, yet he still managed to climb hardddd.

I propose a question, was John long the first “bro” of climbing, and was the posse he ran with responsible for the culture in the climbing community today?
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Omg. I can't even.....

Brilliant.

Short Fall Sean · · Bishop, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 7

John Long is undoubtedly to blame for my toxic masculinity. 

Clea T Royal · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 30

The nerdy engineers with youtube channels are more of a problem than the bros, in my opinion.

Joe Auer · · Utah · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 375

No fkn way bro BACHAR was the first true bro, dude.

Bro, think about it. Blonde. Totally yoked out. So Cal surfer talk full of f-bombs. Blasts hip-hop on a ghetto blaster when he freesolos your project. Better than you at everything, including playing saxamaphone. Drove a Toyota 4Runner before it was cool. Stopped climbing and started snowboarding because he was too fkn good at climbing. Getting paid by Gillette fkn razors, bro. Plus he was in on that gas-soaked plane chronic back in the day.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

How about SantaBro?

Joe Auer wrote: No fkn way bro BACHAR was the first true bro, dude.

Bro, think about it. Blonde. Totally yoked out. So Cal surfer talk full of f-bombs. Blasts hip-hop on a ghetto blaster when he freesolos your project. Better than you at everything, including playing saxamaphone. Drove a Toyota 4Runner before it was cool. Stopped climbing and started snowboarding because he was too fkn good at climbing. Getting paid by Gillette fkn razors, bro. Plus he was in on that gas-soaked plane chronic back in the day.

First, you sound a bit jealous, at least that’s how your post came across. So a possible revision (not really convinced yet) would be that bachar was responsible for the bro culture at the crag, and long was responsible for the bro gym culture. 

Second, your theory has several flaws. Bros don’t play saxophone’s. Bachar didn’t quite have the same abilities around the ladies (so the legend goes), so I refute your claim about bachar.
We appreciate your opinion tho - keep em coming!
Zack Baker · · milton NH · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
Gumby the White wrote:

First, you sound a bit jealous, at least that’s how your post came across. So a possible revision (not really convinced yet) would be that bachar was responsible for the bro culture at the crag, and long was responsible for the bro gym culture. 

Second, your theory has several flaws. Bros don’t play saxophone’s. Bachar didn’t quite have the same abilities around the ladies (so the legend goes), so I refute your claim about bachar.
We appreciate your opinion tho - keep em coming!

jealousy? it sounded like sarcasm and mockery to me

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

just go up and ask him out, already.

BFK · · TBD · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 287
Not Burchey LOL · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0

JFC

Of course that pink haired guy chimes in.  This is what we've become.

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 55
Not Burchey LOL wrote: JFC

Of course that pink haired guy chimes in.  This is what we've become.

Matthew 5:29. Nawmean?

Cheers
DMT
Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695

Lynn Hill is a bigger "Bro" than any dude in the last 20 years. Why? Becasue she had to be. I think egos and Broism have been around for as long as climbs have been documented.

Also, a bluetooth listening, splif smoker sounds more like a hipster millenial than a Bro to me.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

It was around way before JB. Two sorts of climbing types BITD......  Sierra Club or Party Animal....  Appie or Vulgarian....  and then “Colorado Climber” who was ?????

A few weeks back Bulwinkle gave a slide show in Josh.  Showed a picture of Royal, drinking Tea with a perfect rack all organized.....

Then a photo or Warren, Dolt and Mark Powell.... drinking wine and carrying on....

We were all innocent young people who fell under the spell of one Jim Bridwell. He showed US how it was done.

And nothing is new- except the bed wetting instagram dudes I run across from time to time. 

Sprinkle McSparklecams · · Bag End, the shire · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 20
Guy Keesee wrote: It was around way before JB. Two sorts of climbing types BITD......  Sierra Club or Party Animal....  Appie or Vulgarian....  and then “Colorado Climber” who was ?????

A few weeks back Bulwinkle gave a slide show in Josh.  Showed a picture of Royal, drinking Tea with a perfect rack all organized.....

Then a photo or Warren, Dolt and Mark Powell.... drinking wine and carrying on....

We were all innocent young people who fell under the spell of one Jim Bridwell. He showed US how it was done.

And nothing is new- except the bed wetting instagram dudes I run across from time to time. 

The suspense is killing me then. WHO WAS THE FIRST BRO TO START THE BRO CULTURE?

For my generation we need to point fingers and appropriately blame someone. 
Darin Berdinka · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 267

I thought you wanted diversity?   

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718
Darin Berdinka wrote: I thought you wanted diversity?   

That's the big lie, isn't it?   

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 0

Fritz Wiessner was the original bro

master gumby wrote: Fritz Wiessner was the original bro

Imposter!!!! Masta Gumby is dead.

ddriver · · SLC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 2,084

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "The “Bro’s” of Climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started