Mountain Project Logo

Best micro spikes?

Original Post
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Need to pick up a few pairs for a winter family trip to the Grand Canyon.
Will probably be wearing approach shoes, if that matters- hope to scramble up Brahma.
Not really expecting to summit, tbh...
but will need the spikes on the main trails too.

sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

Kahtoola

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

That's like asking the best Band-Aid

nowhere · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

I'll second kahtoola. think there are a few brands making a similar product, the important thing is getting ones with spikes, not the yaktrax style with metal coils which don't give you the same bite on more compact snow/ice.

Dave Baker · · Wiltshire · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 303

Agree -- I tried most of them that were on the market a few years ago.  Kahtoola gets my nod.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

Kahtoola Micro Spikes are the main ones we sell at the shop.
We’ve tried Yaktraks and don’t have much luck with them on the rocky trails. They’re fine for urban areas and gravel roads but the rock chew them up quickly.
Hillsound has several great versions which have different lengths of spike but they are harder to find.

Mal

Clint Helander · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 612

Kahtoola Micro spikes all the way. Fantastic traction for the intended use and they have a great warranty!
My friend used his religiously for two years and when one broke they sent him a new pair!

Joey Jarrell · · SLC · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 145

Yaktrax metalcoil 'spikes' don't work great and don't let.

The Kahtoola spikes are expensive. There are tons of good, cheap options on Amazon that work great. I currently have a pair of those (don't remember which one and I don't think it really matters)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=microspikes&sprefix=microspi&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8

Lee Chandler · · Phoenix · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 545
Mark E Dixon wrote: 
hope to scramble up Brahma.
Not really expecting to summit, tbh...

I think you are kidding, but that is a big summit to tackle with a family. Although, I am sure you are qualified. Just make sure you are familiar with navigating redwall breaks and Grand Canyon off trail travel. Honestly, if you were able to get through the redwall that would be a pretty good feat as a day hike and the views would be great. To make the summit there will be some light class five and semi tricky down climbing if you don't bring a short rope to rap with and most likely some snow and ice along the way as you approach summit.  For a frame of reference, Brahma in a day from SK is 32 miles and 10K of AEG. It took me just under 20 hours the first time I did it, but I was solo and it was earlier in my canyon career,  plus I did get off route a little coming back..That being said, I could give you some better beta if you choose to tackle it!

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

Kahtoola hands down the best. Finally broke a pair after ten years of allot of use!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Just stay far away from the Kahtoola knock-offs on EBay. Super cheap, and only come in one size, so I tok a chance. Bzzzt!  The things would have a tough time stretching over a child's boot.

neils · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 30

i like these:

https://hillsound.com/products/trail-crampon

Desert Rock Sports · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 2

We have a few pairs of Kahtoola in the shop.

Camp carries a brand that looks pretty much the same, but cheaper. I have a pair, but have not used them (or Kahtoola's) yet. Seem to remember them getting pretty good reviews.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Lee Chandler wrote:

I think you are kidding, but that is a big summit to tackle with a family. Although, I am sure you are qualified. Just make sure you are familiar with navigating redwall breaks and Grand Canyon off trail travel. Honestly, if you were able to get through the redwall that would be a pretty good feat as a day hikeand the views would be great. To make the summit there will be some light class five and semi tricky down climbing if you don't bring a short rope to rap with and most likely some snow and ice along the way as you approach summit.  For a frame of reference, Brahma in a day from SK is 32 miles and 10K of AEG. It took me just under 20 hours the first time I did it, but I was solo and it was earlier in my canyon career,  plus I did get off route a little coming back..That being said, I could give you some better beta if you choose to tackle it!

Not kidding about trying Brahma, but also not kidding about not expecting to summit. But should be a cool place to explore regardless.

We aren't doing a rim to rim, will be staying at Bright Angel CG a couple of nights.

If you are sincere about advice, I'll definitely be in touch.

Thanks for all the advice re:Kahtoola.
Lee Chandler · · Phoenix · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 545
Mark E Dixon wrote:

Not kidding about trying Brahma, but also not kidding about not expecting to summit. But should be a cool place to explore regardless.

We aren't doing a rim to rim, will be staying at Bright Angel CG a couple of nights.

If you are sincere about advice, I'll definitely be in touch.

Thanks for all the advice re:Kahtoola.

Ya def. message if you want as your trip nears. I think there could be some other equally enjoyable summits you could knock out as well like maybe Cheops for example and that would keep you below the snow most likely. Battleship will be near you as well and I think that is a fine summit, maybe not as epic as Brahma of course though, but fun and a lot less committing...

Joe Dillier · · Bristol, NH · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 15

Kahtoola

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

Kahtoola

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60

Kahtoola! Fast on and off - when I worked at EMS we would constantly get broken Yak Trax returned but never the Kahtoola. Yeah, they're not the cheapest, but I'd trust them for the money over any Amazon knock off.

Rob Basanta · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 70

I like my Snowline Chainsen's. They are fast on and off and I've taken them over pretty nasty ground quite a bit with no durability issues.

Kevin Riley · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 305
Mark NH wrote: Kahtoola hands down the best. Finally broke a pair after ten years of allot of use!

Me too. I've had mine for over a decade and they just broke. Happily ordered another pair.

al ex · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Hillsound spikes are pretty much the same except they cost $5 less and are carbon steel instead of stainless.

Also the Hillsound Pro is a nice cheap alternative to a real crampon for low angle ice where microspikes don't have enough bite, but you won't need to front point. Bigger spikes and anti-balling plates for $79 msrp. Haven't had them long enough to speak durability, but they handle sheets of hard ice much better than microspikes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best micro spikes?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started