Mountain Project Logo

Wanted: Old Black Diamond Cams

Original Post
aleday · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 125

I'm doing a side project where I'd like to repurpose some old BD Cams. This means I'm looking for some broken, old, beat up BD cams that people don't want to use in the field anymore. Willing to pay on top of shipping. Ideally looking for BD ultralights, sizes 2-4. Thank you!

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

Not sure what your stance on booty is (seems controversial these days), but going and doing 5.8-5.9 multipitches immediately after weather or weekends is a good way to acquire cams/nuts/ etc.

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

I was "with you" until the "ideally looking for ultralights".  Don't really consider those "old", although I'm sure some climbers have some "beat up" ones.

Are you interested in "old" as in first or 2nd generation, or "old" as in just "beat up and well used".  ...and maybe a bit more beta on the "side" project itself. 

Thanks for the clarifying questions...

1. Second generation
2. Side project: taking them apart and using the lobes elsewhere

Basically, if anyone has broken or questionable cams from falls, booty, or too much use that they don't want around, I'd like to reuse them. No more than $20/cam. 

Jay J · · Euelss · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 5

I've got sizes 2-4 of the old U stem variety, Black Diamond brand.  I could do $20 each if you're interested.  They aren't very beat up, though, if that's what you're after.

Jay J - PM'ed

Here are the cams I mentioned earlier.  Mid 90s I think.  Let me know.

Here's the old #4 next to a C4 #4.  They redid the sizing when they released the C4 cams, so the old one is a bit larger.

I'd always thought the old lobes were thinner, but that does not seem to be the case.  Probably an optical illusion or something.
Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205
Jay J wrote:

Here are the cams I mentioned earlier.  Mid 90s I think.  Let me know.

1993 and earlier

Vintage! I'll transition to private messaging...

Justin Laursen · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 430

Doesn’t BD hand out cam lobe keychains at events? Maybe you could contact them directly and get a bunch on the cheap. Seems like it would be worth a shot. 

EFS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 160
Jay J wrote: Here's the old #4 next to a C4 #4.  They redid the sizing when they released the C4 cams, so the old one is a bit larger.

I'd always thought the old lobes were thinner, but that does not seem to be the case.  Probably an optical illusion or something.

the lobes on those early ones are thinner.......

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15
EFS wrote:

the lobes on those early ones are thinner.......

Yep.  The old u-stem used .2" stock for cams.  Switched to .25" for the other generations.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Vintage? I still use mine.

Contacted multiple departments at BD...under no circumstance could I get them, even from warrantied cams to QA. Words like "liability" and "not even employees can get them" were used. 

nutstory · · Ajaccio, Corsica, FR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 15

Jay - pm’d

K Weber wrote:

Yep.  The old u-stem used .2" stock for cams.  Switched to .25" for the other generations.

The thickness of the lobes on the #4 U stem are 0.25", just like the C4s.

The #3 and #2 are indeed thinner.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Wanted: Old Black Diamond Cams"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started