Mountain Project Logo

Backcountry.com not playing nice

Original Post
Tim N · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 71

While this behavior is certainly not unique in American business, nor is it new to the outdoor industry (I've heard of similar antics by other large SLC based climbing gear companies), I was disappointed to hear that the gear retailer backcountry dot com has sued many small companies with the word "Backcountry" in their names. Companies include Backcountry Jeans, Marquette Backcountry, and, most egregiously in my opinion, Backcountry Babes (I mean, c'mon, who in the outdoor industry sues a women's backcountry skiing education group?).

Links:
https://coloradosun.com/2019/10/31/backcountry-com-sues-anyone-who-uses-its-namesake-is-it-bullying-or-just-business/
https://www.kunr.org/post/backcountrycom-sues-protect-backcountry-trademark#stream/0
http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pnam=Backcountry.com,%20LLC%20%20&page=1
https://wintrymix.podbean.com/ - Podcast with the owner of Marquette Backcountry

Now, I'm usually the last one to jump on a boycott bandwagon, but I have to say that I can't find it in me to support backcountry dot com. I've let them know that. I hope that the outdoor community would agree that to try to trademark all uses of the word "Backcountry" sounds excessive.

Thoughts? (If I know MP, there will be some...)

5.Seven Kevin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Do they take Indigenous people climbing?
Do they sell to all races?
Do they sell everything in a "womens" version?
Do they make their stuff in china?
Do they close on SUNDAY!?!?!

Now I have to check if the oppressive corporations I loathe and #hashtagboycott but pour half my paycheck into anyway have SUED SOMEONE!?!

I can't keep up in 2019

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

It was with extreme pleasure that I messaged them and told them to go fuck themselves.

City Dweller · · New York, NY · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10
5.Seven Kevin wrote:
I can't keep up in 2019

bruh ... you never could ;)

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

Thanks for posting this info. This all seems shitty, especially suing an outdoor education group. That really grinds my gears...

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

Who stands up for the proper wild Backcountry, and sues backcountry.com?  I mean, free money, right?  I can buy a shit-ton off shiny totems and a specific outer-shell for every day of the month with free money.

I reckon the actual Backcountry would spend its money picking up trash and cleaning up behind surface-shitters

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

They've lost my business. F them. Thanks for letting us know.

Alex Fedorov · · New York City · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

That is really disappointing! Yes - that is enough for me to shape elsewhere ... 

gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1

Ford lost the names of some iconic cars (gt40, futura, cobra?) because they weren't activity trying to stop other businesses from using the name. Once they lost like all their cases they started going after companies using their names.
Understandable.
The word Backcountry seems like a name so ubiquitous that I'm surprised that this is working.

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 654

I won't buy from them again and will let them know as well (and spread the word). That's real bush-league shit.

Here's hoping that backcountrygear.com fights this and wins.

Very bad PR move. I wonder what overpaid idiot thought this would be a good idea. They will not gain a single customer through this, but they will lose some.

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 316

Don't forget Steep & Cheap is also theirs. 

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,196
Tim Stich wrote: It was with extreme pleasure that I messaged them and told them to go fuck themselves.

Right on.  While browsing their site, Jaclyn popped up and asked how she could help.  I told her to tell her bosses to quit being a bunch of dickheads.

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 95

It's almost like all of us are responsible for some kind of corporatization of the outdoor gearscape.   Almost.  Meh.  So Creeksgiving (TM) y'all?

TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

They are pretty much forced to do this to maintain the trademark on their name. But I'm not a lawyer so...

Christian Hesch · · Morro Bay · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 55

Generally not a fan of cancel culture, but this seems a rather clear cut case where it's perfectly acceptable to boycott them. I prefer to engage in "buycotts," rather than boycotts, but I think both might be appropriate in this case. Looked into those jeans but I'm afraid I'll just have to offer them moral support, at $160/pair, haha. I'll certainly be happy to order more often from backcountrygear in the future.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Our great little gear store in Boise became Boise Gear Collective, from Backcountry Pursuit. Add that to your list of small businesses.

EDIT to add: Ah! They're on page two.

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 95

They've already got a form response to folks wanting to discuss the issue in their live sell, sell sell SELL chat.  

Hilarious.

Dan 60D5H411 · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,239
Mikey Wally wrote: where's the list of REI lawsuits? BAN MP!

Show me the list of businesses they have sued for using Recreational or Equipment or Incorporated, and I'll support the ban.  Until then, Backcountry deserves every ounce of bad publicity for suing legitimate businesses over a term they appropriated in the first place.  

C B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 175
Skout Organic has filings from Backcountry AND Boy Scouts of America.
KJ C · · Boston · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Monster Cable did the same thing and sued many companies who used the word Monster in their products including Monster Energy drink, Monster Garage, the film Monsters, Inc, Monster Mini Golf and Monster.com    I stopped buying Monster Cable crap a long time ago because of the suits.  I also met the owner of Monster Mini Golf on a flight back from a climbing trip at Red Rock Canyon.  He told me of all the nasty stuff the lawyers did to try and win the case.   Radio Shack tried the same thing and went after companies that used the word Shack.    In a twist they got sued for using PowerZone in their stores by AutoZone.  

Once companies get big enough they think they can own a word.  Monster Energy likes to sue companies that use the letter M prominently in their logos.  With deep pockets larger companies can "bully" lots of smaller ones who can't afford the legal fees.  
Nick Votto · · CO, CT, IT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

Pathetic for a company of their size, especially the backcountry babes thing.....I've never ordered from them but now certainly won't plan to

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Backcountry.com not playing nice"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started