Mountain Project Logo

Free instruction for indigenous peoples in NA.

Original Post
Kevin Shon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 65

I'll post that I am willing to work on climbing/ technical skills for anyone who identifies as indigenous in North America, free of charge, on a volunteer basis outside of scheduled work.

I do not have the financial capital to offer reparation for use of native lands, but as a mountain professional,  our industry benefits from land that used to be occupied by others, from whom that land was taken to form many of our public lands today.

EVERYONE deserves to connect with mountain places,  not just only dominant culture white folks

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed.
TravisJBurke · · Beratzhausen, DEU · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 65

I know there are some facebook groups for indigenous climbers--I can't remember off the top of my head...and maybe your local climbing gym or club (are you up in WA?) might help you connect...'course I'm probably just saying stuff you already know!

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

Leave a message with the Chapter Houses.

Jordan Duncan · · Norwalk, OH · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 20

Anyone that "identifies" as an indigenous person?

Noah R · · Burlington, VT · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Jordan Duncan wrote: Anyone that "identifies" as an indigenous person?

What is he gonna friggin DNA test them?

5.Seven Kevin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

What about the animals who wandered the lands before them?

Nothing was stopping them from eating Vegan back then. Typical Violent human culture, no different than ours.

Lee Chandler · · Phoenix · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 545
Kevin Shon wrote:   I'll post that I am willing to work on climbing/ technical skills for anyone who identifies as indigenous in North America, free of charge, on a volunteer basis outside of scheduled work.

I do not have the financial capital to offer reparation for use of native lands, but as a mountain professional,  our industry benefits from land that used to be occupied by others, from whom that land was taken to form many of our public lands today.

EVERYONE deserves to connect with mountain places,  not just only dominant culture white folks

Maybe instead of blasting your level of wokeness on MP because apparently you just discovered that this continent was inhabited prior to European  colonization, you could do something a tad more useful and substantive for the indigenous populations of the United States, like volunteer on a res for example. Maybe contact the cultural center on a res and ask if they could use any volunteers at their underfunded and understaffed community centers. Maybe contact an elementary school on a res and ask if they need any help with their literacy programs. Maybe make a contribution to an organization that is combating sexual abuse, alcoholism, or suicide among Native Americans. Obama just had a good speech about this and the nature of your post. It’s hashtag activism, makes you feel good and you get to blast how woke you are, but ultimately does nothing for progress and creates negative unintended consequences. 

Danny Poceta · · Canmore · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 98
5.Seven Kevin wrote: What about the animals who wandered the lands before them?

Nothing was stopping them from eating Vegan back then. Typical Violent human culture, no different than ours.

Are you serious?

Jordan Duncan · · Norwalk, OH · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 20
Danny Poceta wrote:

Are you serious?

No doubt it's 100% serious

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740
Dave K wrote:

Is the second part of that sentence really necessary?

That struck me the same way. Europeans were assholes that were hailed as heros by some. I'm embarrassed in the presence of those indigenous people. I will never identify as dominant to anyone.

Noble cause braj! But get to work on your social skills now, before you continue to make me look bad! Please and thanks!
Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740
5.Seven Kevin wrote: What about the animals who wandered the lands before them?

You're blasting your ignorance with this STUPID post! Have you seen The Revenant?! Winter kills all the vegetation! People felt so lucky to kill an animal, they ate raw meat! And the movie conveys that some compassionate people would share their raw kill with a lucky stranger that might be approaching to murder them for their valuables, or mental instability, or whatever!

Dankasaurus · · Lyons, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85

Alternative post title:  "Climb Wokeback Mountain"

Virtue Signaling is the new Humble Brag.  

But the OP has brilliantly combined the "I'm a guide" humble brag with "I'm also woke and white and guilty" virtue signal...Maybe Elizabeth Warren can take you up on your offer?

Used 2climb · · Far North · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

This is a big yikes from me... MP better just lock this now...

5.Seven Kevin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
Danny Poceta wrote:

Are you serious?

I don't joke on MP bro. No one does.

Take this shit seriously or get off, now.
Reformed Troll · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0
Dankasaurus wrote: Alternative post title:  "Climb Wokeback Mountain"

Virtue Signaling is the new Humble Brag.  

But the OP has brilliantly combined the "I'm a guide" humble brag with "I'm also woke and white and guilty" virtue signal...Maybe Elizabeth Warren can take you up on your offer?

I'm giggling and can't stop - 10/10

jackscoldsweat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Lee Chandler wrote:

Maybe instead of blasting your level of wokeness on MP because apparently you just discovered that this continent was inhabited prior to European  colonization, you could do something a tad more useful and substantive for the indigenous populations of the United States, like volunteer on a res for example. Maybe contact the cultural center on a res and ask if they could use any volunteers at their underfunded and understaffed community centers. Maybe contact an elementary school on a res and ask if they need any help with their literacy programs. Maybe make a contribution to an organization that is combating sexual abuse, alcoholism, or suicide among Native Americans. Obama just had a good speech about this and the nature of your post. It’s hashtag activism, makes you feel good and you get to blast how woke you are, but ultimately does nothing for progress and creates negative unintended consequences. 

This is a good start Lee, but once again falls short.

How about we as climbers get the 'F' off their land entirely? This includes their mountains, their cliffs, and their crags!

JCS
jackscoldsweat wrote:

This is a good start Lee, but once again falls short.

How about we as climbers get the 'F' off their land entirely? This includes their mountains, their cliffs, and their crags!

JCS

Wut? Why? for the most part, at least in AZ, the indigenous people have not minded the climbers on their land. It is just when the idiot influencers move in that tribal has closed some areas and rightfully so because people are idiots and trash nice things.

Tyler Smith · · MA · Joined May 2012 · Points: 110

The level of conversation on MP has got me pretty sad these days. Anyone else used to think that climbers were cut from slightly better clothe than most folks? I'm not sure I believe that anymore.

christoph benells · · tahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 306

We got a white guy coming to the rescue that no indigenous people knew they needed to be rescued from!

Tyler Smith wrote: The level of conversation on MP has got me pretty sad these days. Anyone else used to think that climbers were cut from slightly better clothe than most folks? I'm not sure I believe that anymore.

Climbers are not and have never been "better ppl" they are just people. You are not special bro.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Free instruction for indigenous peoples in NA."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started