Mountain Project Logo

New Petzl Dart

Original Post
Nick Quesnel · · Englewood, CO · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Has anyone tried the new Petzl Darts? Wondering about first impressions and how useful you find the ability to modify the configuration.

aclayden · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 90

I bought some but haven't used them yet. The anti-snow plates on the front and back look awesome and should mitigate the snow balling issues the original darts/dartwins can have. I doubt I will make them dual point much, but it is nice to have an extra front point for spare. They have 3 wire holes/positions for the front piece as opposed to 2 on the original darts, so that gives more fitting options on the boots as well. In short, they look like a great upgrade to me and only weigh 40 or 50 grams more than the old version.

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 67

I recently returned a set due to difficulty getting a proper fit on my G5s. Newer crampons like the Dart are saving weight by removing (Dart) or reducing (CAMP Alpinest Tech) the microadjustment options at the heel. I couldn't get a proper fit on the Dart's that would remove heel slop without significantly shortening the overall length relative to the boot. I have a pair of Dartwins that fit perfectly.

My older pair of darts didn't have any micro adjust and fit sportiva and scarpa boots fine, just as the new darts do. I haven't had any problems with the new heal throw that lacks a micro-adjust. The holes on the connection piece are plenty close enough to find the right tension for a good fit, IME.

Bryan LaRue · · Munising, MI · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 50

Im excited for the new front piece. I previously had the Lynx which has the adjustable font point configuration. Id change them once or twice a season. For long days out its nice knowing you can throw a extra point, bolt and the correct washers in your pack in case you break your front points.

Bug Boy · · In my car · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 81

What’s the big difference between these and the lynx? Besides the secondary points looking a bit different

E Mann wrote: What’s the big difference between these and the lynx? Besides the secondary points looking a bit different

All the points aside from the front points on the front half of the crampon are different from the Lynx. The Lynx is more of an all around/mountaineering 12-point design; the dart has points shaped and located to be more focused to harder ice/mixed. The new lynx is also about 100grams lighter than the Lynx.

Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181
FosterK wrote: I recently returned a set due to difficulty getting a proper fit on my G5s. Newer crampons like the Dart are saving weight by removing (Dart) or reducing (CAMP Alpinest Tech) the microadjustment options at the heel. I couldn't get a proper fit on the Dart's that would remove heel slop without significantly shortening the overall length relative to the boot. I have a pair of Dartwins that fit perfectly.

You could buy a different heel bail for it if that’s the big issue. They’re incredibly easy to replace. 

Gavin W wrote:

You could buy a different heel bail for it if that’s the big issue. They’re incredibly easy to replace. 

I could do a lot of things, or I could buy a a crampon that fits out the box.

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505
FosterK wrote: I recently returned a set due to difficulty getting a proper fit on my G5s. Newer crampons like the Dart are saving weight by removing (Dart) or reducing (CAMP Alpinest Tech) the microadjustment options at the heel. I couldn't get a proper fit on the Dart's that would remove heel slop without significantly shortening the overall length relative to the boot. I have a pair of Dartwins that fit perfectly.

Heel adjustment is achieved through moving the bail forwards and backwards on the three holes in the heel. Have you tried that yet. I have a set of the new darts and by moving the heel forward they fit on all boots ive tried, G5 included 

Kevin Mcbride wrote:

Heel adjustment is achieved through moving the bail forwards and backwards on the three holes in the heel. Have you tried that yet. I have a set of the new darts and by moving the heel forward they fit on all boots ive tried, G5 included 

Yup, I understand how to adjust crampons.

Edit: the secret is not all crampons fit all boots.
FosterK wrote:

Yup, I understand how to adjust crampons.

Edit: the secret is not all crampons fit all boots.

Hmm thats strange. Have you tried checking if your head is screwed on right. Because the heel of the new dart is the same heel that was on the old dart and every other steel petzl crampon in the past few years. And I havent heard of any issues with the heel fit on the G5 with the petzl crampons, in fact I have sold many customers that exact setup with solid fit in the heel, its just the toe bails that need to be swapped for a different model.

Kevin Mcbride wrote:

Hmm thats strange. Have you tried checking if your head is screwed on right. Because the heel of the new dart is the same heel that was on the old dart and every other steel petzl crampon in the past few years. And I havent heard of any issues with the heel fit on the G5 with the petzl crampons, in fact I have sold many customers that exact setup with solid fit in the heel, its just the toe bails that need to be swapped for a different model.

My current Dartwins and the previous Dart have the same heel piece (see photo), which is not the same as what I received on the new Darts. The new Darts I received had a one piece white heel bail without adjustment.

Switching out heel bails is a great solution for those who many be dedicated to making a particular boot-crampon combo work, but buying another set of bails (or parting out old crampons I’m trying to sell) is not a strategy I was interested in entertaining. 

Fill your boots if you want to this combo to people. I wasn’t impressed by the fit. 
FosterK wrote:

My current Dartwins and the previous Dart have the same heel piece (see photo), which is not the same as what I received on the new Darts. The new Darts I received had a one piece white heel bail without adjustment.

Switching out heel bails is a great solution for those who many be dedicated to making a particular boot-crampon combo work, but buying another set of bails (or parting out old crampons I’m trying to sell) is not a strategy I was interested in entertaining. 

Fill your boots if you want to this combo to people. I wasn’t impressed by the fit. 

FUN FACT: that heel bail system was phased out in late 2015. And the heel that is on the new dart has been used since then. Still not sure how you havent figured it out yet. Try going to your nearest climbing shop, they should be able to help you fit the crampons.

Ben M · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Just to clarify: the new 2019 Darts include anti-bot plates with the crampons. I might be the only one, but I was a little confused by Petzl’s ambiguous description which said “ANTISNOW DART available as accessory”, but only showed pictures with the anti-bot plates on the crampons. Hopefully this helps anyone who’s about to buy a pair. 

NathanV · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Can anyone with the new model Dart comment or post a pic on the secondary points when attached to a boot? Are they a bit more forward than the old dart or lynx due to the extra toe bail adjustment? Or are they about the same.  Interested in these but Petzl secondary points  seem a bit short in relation to the toe of the boot.

MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 10

See below, note that I am using BD small front bails as phantom guides are notoriously tough to fit. The new darts are set with the front point in short mode. The old darts have been noticeably filed, maybe 3mm.

NathanV · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Thanks MyFeetHurt for the pictures. Looks like an improvement from the last version. I think Petzl is offering a new narrow bail this year as well. But they are not cheap.  Hopefully I won't need them. I have a lowa Alpine ice boot.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
E Mann wrote: What’s the big difference between these and the lynx? Besides the secondary points looking a bit different

Whole lotta weight (compared to the first gen lynx), and 2 points under your foot. 

MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 10
Forthright wrote:

Whole lotta weight (compared to the first gen lynx), and 2 points under your foot. 

Also, the new darts have points added around the bolt head. A small but important detail for technical ice.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

If it helps, here are similar pics of my brand new Darts on Madrock boots. I've not tried them out, but these are my first pair of crampons and I think they're just a thing of beauty on the boots. Yeah, I am definitely pitiful, but happy! And stoked!!

Best, Helen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "New Petzl Dart"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started