Mountain Project Logo

Repeat Sexual Assault in El Potrero Chico

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Mr945 B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0

If this post provokes a shitstorm, I hope it is a justified one. In the past I spent an extended length of time in El Potrero Chico. During that time, I heard a rumor about a certain member of the community who was said to have been sexually assaulting females in varying states of inebriation on a somewhat regular basis over multiple seasons. I took it as a rumor, and carefully probed around the community to see if anyone else had any knowledge of such things. As a matter of fact, I heard confirmations of the stories of assault from probably four or five independent sources. It was said that over multiple seasons, the perpetrator made a habit of drugging young females and assaulting them later in the evening at a set location.

So mountain project, I ask you:

• Have you heard these allegations before?
  • Are you, or do you know someone who has fallen victim to such a person?
  • Do you have any form of proof of innocence or of guilt for the accused party?
  • Do you have reason to believe these allegations are true?
David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

I have not heard these allegations before.

I have no specific reason to believe these allegations are true, though I have the general reason to believe they are true which is that, most often, when a woman states, and especially when multiple women state, they have been sexually assaulted, then they have actually been sexually assaulted.   Also, I have no reason to believe these allegations are false.  

On the flip side, an anonymous new account on MP isn't exactly a reliable source.

Mr945 B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0
David Gibbs wrote: I have not heard these allegations before.

I have no specific reason to believe these allegations are true, though I have the general reason to believe they are true which is that, most often, when a woman states, and especially when multiple women state, they have been sexually assaulted, then they have actually been sexually assaulted.   Also, I have no reason to believe these allegations are false.  

On the flip side, an anonymous new account on MP isn't exactly a reliable source.

My anonymous post is not meant to be a "source", but instead to promote discussion of the allegations. If a reliable source is to arise, it would be in the form of multiple statements from multiple users, preferably with first-person experience to support or refute the claims. I am not this person, but encourage that person to speak.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Define "independent" sources... Were these victims of the alleged abuser? Or just a handful of people who heard the same rumors you did?

I've heard from many "independent" sources that the rock at Devil's Lake is so slick, that cams slide out under body weight. Of course, none of these people had ever seen it happen, but they were stating it with some certainty. OTOH, I've placed hundreds of cams at Devil's Lake, and not a single one budged under load.

If the people you spoke to were direct witnesses to, or victims of, the alleged abuse, then you don't need to be asking here; you already have compelling evidence.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Talking about it on MP won't do anything. Unless you're trying to warn people that it's dangerous there.

Report it to the policia. If they care.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

If you find out anything more definite and can identify the perpetrator, that would be good.

Sophia Lin · · CA · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 20

If this is who I am thinking about, then...

• Have you heard these allegations before? Yup, many people while I was there 
  • Are you, or do you know someone who has fallen victim to such a person? Luckily some other climbers stayed behind when I was there with my friend to make sure that we'd be okay. Allegedly, a female was assaulted the week before I was there.
  • Do you have any form of proof of innocence or of guilt for the accused party? Fortunately, no firsthand proof on my part.
  • Do you have reason to believe these allegations are true? I mean, given the major creep vibes, bragging about multiple children w/ multiple women, marriage proposal/expressing strong desires for making a half asian baby with yours truly, I would not be surprised. 
OP, what are you trying to do? 
Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643
This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed.
Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Hank Caylor wrote:

Hopefully collecting enough evidence to beat some asshat half to death.

A saying I like...."No more half measures"

Why stop half way? A serial rapist sexual predator has forfeited their right to be amongst humans.... 
PWZ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
Buck Rio wrote:

A saying I like...."No more half measures"

Why stop half way? A serial rapist sexual predator has forfeited their right to be amongst humans.... 

aren't you one of those types that swore to uphold the constitution?

Glowering · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 16
OP, what are you trying to do? 

If it was me I'd hope this thread raises awareness and precautions. If multiple people speak up and say I've experienced something, or I've heard about it too, it may not be enough to take action, but it's enough for future travelers to be on their guard and be extra cautious.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
PWZ wrote:

aren't you one of those types that swore to uphold the constitution?

El Potrero is in MEXICO....I haven't sworn shit to Mexico...

Believe it or not, the US Constitution stops at the border.
Etha Williams · · Twentynine Palms, CA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 349

I think it’s important to remember that while a desire to publicly identify the individual responsible for something like this is understandable, the most important thing is respecting the wishes and safety of the victims/survivors. There may be reasons that this information hasn’t been shared publicly, including that victims/survivors often have real concerns for their safety and possible repercussions if information is shared. Please don’t pressure people to share information they aren’t comfortable sharing, and don’t share information that has been given to you with the expectation that it be kept in confidence.

Christian Black · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 365

I’ve heard of these allegations as well, no personal experience or concrete evidence from first-hand experiences though. I believe I know who you’re referring to. 

Mikey Seaman · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 5
Fun Police wrote:

You might as well stop beating around the bush

I agree

ANDThat’s exactly what he’s trying to accomplish #phrasing
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

One question. Would this also be the guy that flat out propositions you with money to pay for sex? I did hear that story recently from someone.

EDIT (It was not this guy)

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Tyler S · · Oakhurst CA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 65
Tradiban wrote: Well, You can't get us all hot and bothered and then not tell us who it is!

Let’s just invite the guy into the MP conversation 

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

Is it Donald trump?

Russ Walling · · Flaky Foont, WI. Redacted… · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 1,216
David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2
Marcus K wrote: It’s the proprietor of the famous margarita/resoles/brickweed trailer that blasts shitty techno. He is rumored to have strong cartel connections. Last season the cool bus-dwellers at the entrance were selling good mota, and he intimidated them out of business.

I believe the many allegations, which come from trustworthy sources. Watch your drinks closely there. Or better yet, celebrate your sends elsewhere.

Thank you for posting something more concrete.  I have not previously visited this establishment, and I will now know to actively avoid it.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started