Mountain Project Logo

Are drones the future of climbing ....

Original Post
Ian Dibbs · · Lake Placid · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 2,364

I was wondering if drones should be embraced as the "future of climbing" … ???

Stage 1)    Use your done at the cliff face to find and inspect (maybe record) your desired route, and also find out what pro you'll need and where to put it.

Stage 2)    Use your bigger drone and a base person to shuttle needed gear up to climbers  … maybe even food and drinks as well !

Stage 3)   Use a huge drone to carry your rope up to the top of the route, then have the drone thread the top anchors and return the ropes other end you at the base.

Ridiculous speculation … or is it coming ???

Dan Allard · · West Chester, PA · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,070

No. 

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

Who cares climbing is already ruined. Let masses do what they want and call it cool.  Damnit Alex

Stephen L · · Atl GA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130

I’ll start racking my sling shot so I can shoot your drone down.
They are a complete nuisance in what would other otherwise be a serene outdoor experience.
Not to mention they’re banned in national parks.

beensandbagged · · smallest state · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Troll

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260

1/10.

Mikey Schaefer · · Reno, NV · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 233

Pretty much two of those things already happen with helicopters.  Drones aren't really that different.

Kief Manning · · Elgin, AZ · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

No. Leave your annoying toys at home. No one wants to listen to that. 

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

They're certainly going to become the future of skeet shooting...

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

There are 12 gauge rounds available that are actually designed to down drones with little "bolos" equipped with hooks.

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

I can see it being useful for setting up a TRS, amongst other useful applications. 

Ian Dibbs · · Lake Placid · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 2,364

I have never used a drone, (but have been annoyed by them) …. I have seriously wondered if drones should be added to climbers equipment list, to be used when appropriate, to inspect routes (especially back country),  to make sure the route  can "go" safely, and that climbers have appropriate gear with them.

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

I think a drone will be strapped to our backs and provide the "catch" when we fall. No rope or pro needed....oh it's coming for sure...

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398
Roots wrote: I think a drone will be strapped to our backs and provide the "catch" when we fall. No rope or pro needed....oh it's coming for sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRYz5nKDTuE

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
Mikey Schaefer wrote: Pretty much two of those things already happen with helicopters.  Drones aren't really that different.

Except for the cost to the average person.

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260
Ian Dibbs wrote: I have never used a drone, (but have been annoyed by them) …. I have seriously wondered if drones should be added to climbers equipment list, to be used when appropriate, to inspect routes (especially back country),  to make sure the route  can "go" safely, and that climbers have appropriate gear with them.

Lots of climbing has happened for a lot of people in a lot of places without drones.

I'm sure we can manage climbing without it. For what you describe, a friendly rope gun would do just as well....

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Only by the weak. And they shouldn't be climbing; they could scrape their knees.

Grandpa Dave · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Tradgic Yogurt wrote: They're certainly going to become the future of skeet shooting...

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
Ian Dibbs wrote: I have never used a drone, (but have been annoyed by them) …. I have seriously wondered if drones should be added to climbers equipment list, to be used when appropriate, to inspect routes (especially back country),  to make sure the route  can "go" safely, and that climbers have appropriate gear with them.

Cause noone wants adventure or launching off into the unknown any more? Freaking millenials.

Alfie Foster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2020 · Points: 0

haha, friend, I think you watch too many movies. Drones are of course cool, I have two drones myself, which I carefully selected on buyersimpact.co.uk and I didn't make a mistake with the choice, I often have fun with them on weekends, shoot great photos and videos. But I don't think drones are designed for such serious things as helping people climb. This is very dangerous, and I don't think you should trust such important things to a "piece of metal", maybe one day they will create very advanced models of drones, but it's too early to talk about this:))

Russell Houghten · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 1,029

I use drones for work (video production) and have brought some of my smaller drones to inspect back country cliffs. They’re very handy for that use. Drones are very annoying though and I would only use them in remote areas like this when I knew I wasn’t bothering anyone.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Are drones the future of climbing ...."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started