Mountain Project Logo

El Potrero Chico, Mexico - Early November

Original Post
Ryan Ojerio · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Hello, I'm looking for someone to partner with to climb entry level multi-pitch routes, however, I would be up for following on more advanced routes too.

I'll be there from November 3-10. I've booked a guide for the 4th and 5th (actually a multi-pitch class and a 2nd day of climbing) in order to get acquainted with the area. You are welcome to add in too. The rest of the days I'm there I'm open to climb.

I'm 47 and did the majority of my climbing back in my 20's while in school. Back then we did nearly all top rope but did take some road trips to climb sport routes in Red River Gorge, New River Gorge and Smith Rock. I've also dabbled in mountaineering since moving to Oregon (Mt. Washington, Three Fingered Jack, Middle Sister) and traveled to Ecuador (Cotopaxi, Illiniza Norte) and did some trekking in Peru. Entonces, puedo hablar espanol un poco!

I'm not a hard core climber, but have taken classes in high-angle rescue and used to teach intro to rock climbing at an indoor wall so I'm really comfortable with belaying, knots and systems. I'm super excited to dive back into climbing as I've been training and preparing for this trip for the last few months.

- Ryan

PS - I'm going to Smith Rock in late October to do some multi-pitch routes and if you're in the Pacific Northwest, it would be great to meet up then.

Mark Q · · VA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Hi I might be interested in joining in with the guide, especially. Do you have multipitch experience?

Hi Mark,

I have some multi-pitch experience, but limited to easy grades and only a handful of times. Most of my climbing experience is from the 90’s and early 2000’s and I didn’t write much down. (I’ve started adding “ticks” to my profile here so people have a better sense of my experience.) I think the last few times I climbed at Smith Rock was in 2005 and I led 5.8-5.10 but we were focused on single pitch. I remember doing a 3 pitch route there that was like 5.6 or something like that long ago. And before that I did some Cascade volcano routes that had a couple pitches exposed scrambling where we had to deal with managing the rope, anchors, and rappel off.

l’ll be going to Smith Rock in a couple weeks to get more multi-pitch time in and then I’m open to seeing how the class goes at El Potrero Chico. If I feel at all like I’m in over my head, I’m happy to train more and come back another time.

Tom Pelletier · · Miami, FL · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Hey Ryan !

I am also looking for a partner(s) for El Potrero Chico around Nov 3rd to 10th. Was thinking of staying ~4-5 days.
I might not exactly be the partner youre looking for (lacking experience..), but I'd love to add in with you for the Multipitch class at least !

A bit about me:
French-Guy, 25y, easy going.
Speaks: French, English, Spanish

6 months ago, I was bitten by the climbing bug after trying out a local climbing gym.
Since then I've been climbing hard, and very regularly in pursuit of one day taking it to the outdoors.
Now I am just absolutely dying to get out there.

I have never sport climbed or multi-pitched outdoors, and figured El Potrero Chico would be the most amazing place to do both.
I plan to do tons of practice on shorter, easier routes for the first couple days, ease my way up to a multipitch class, with the goal to climb Excalibur before I leave.
And just like you said: If I feel at all like I’m in over my head, I’m happy to train more and come back another time.

Let me know if you would be interested in teaming up !

Alina Anchondo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0
  1. Hello Ryan!
  2. My name is Alina, I will be in Monterrey from around the 3th to the 6th of November with my climbing partner! I started climbing in a gym on February of 2018, but most of my climbing experience is in West Virginia. I've only followed once  in multi-pitch in Seneca Rocks, but I'm very interested in doing more multi-pitching.  I'm currently leading 8-9+ and top-roping  up to 10c in the New River Gorge. I'm also fluent in both Spanish and English!
  3. This summer I worked at a scout camp in West Virginia teaching  13 to 18 year olds about climbing, among other aerial activities, so I too am very comfortable with belaying and knots! I've wanted to go to Potrero for quite a while now, and I would love to meet you out there to climb. 
  4. My climbing partner has already gone and has some certifications in vertical rescuing among others. He's climbing about the same grades as me if a bit harder. 
  5. Contact me and we can meet in Potrero!

Hi Alina, thanks for the reply. Yes let’s meet up and climb! I’m getting a new phone soon and will be in touch with my new number.

Ryan

Alina Anchondo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

Awesome! I'm currently out of the country but will be back in a couple of days. We can talk about the details then!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "El Potrero Chico, Mexico - Early November"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started