Mountain Project Logo

Border Wall Climbing Competition

Original Post
Richard Weber · · Indianapolis, IN · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Our President tells us that 20 of the best mountain climbers couldn't climb his wall (Slat version shown in the video of his visit to the construction site.)

I am in the early stages of building in the Red River Gorge, KY a replica of the slat version that is now being built at the southern border.

A climbing event at this replica will be held on Saturday, October 12, which is concurrent with the RRGCC's Annual Rocktoberfest on Oct 11 -13. Come and give it a go.

Prizes for awarded for fastest time and cleverest technique.

Disclaimer: This is being built on my land (adjacent to Muir Valley), and the competition conducted by me personally (with a few like-minded friends), and in no way is supported, endorsed, or sponsored by the Red River Gorge Climbers Coalition or the Friends of Muir Valley (two fine 501c3 climber organizations in the Red.

Our most immediate need is for accurate measurements of the slatted sections now being erected. We'll use wood instead of metal, which, functionally, should configure similar to metal. We will also build only the 18-foot-high version of the two versions being erected. (If someone can climb this, then an extra 13 feet in a 30-foot section would be no problem for a determined climber.) Any and all useful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Details to follow.

Rick Weber

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

I love you.

Jason Kim · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 255

Get some nice footage and it will go viral, love it!!

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

Please send an invite to this guy and of course invite some Mexican climbers.

Brandon Fields · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

You’re an American hero, Richard. God speed.

Long Ranger wrote: Please send an invite to this guy and of course invite some Mexican climbers.

To try to prevent this, the newest version (now being erected) has a 5-foot high sheet steel facing on the Mexican side of the wall. This makes using a rope more viable. I suspect most rock climbers who try our wall will use a rope. Nice that the builders left open spaces between slats so that a rope can be thrown over and pulled back through the space for a belayer to attach.

Richard Weber wrote: Our President tells us that 20 of the best mountain climbers couldn't climb his wall (Slat version shown in the video of his visit to the construction site.)

I am in the early stages of building in the Red River Gorge, KY a replica of the slat version that is now being built at the southern border.

A climbing event at this replica will be held on Saturday, October 12, which is concurrent with the RRGCC's Annual Rocktoberfest on Oct 11 -13. Come and give it a go.

Disclaimer: This is being built on my land (adjacent to Muir Valley), and the competition conducted by me personally (with a few like-minded friends), and in no way is supported, endorsed, or sponsored by the Red River Gorge Climbers Coalition or the Friends of Muir Valley (two fine 501c3 climber organizations in the Red.

Our most immediate need is for accurate measurements of the slatted sections now being erected. We'll use wood instead of metal, which, functionally, should configure similar to metal. We will also build only the 18-foot-high version of the two versions being erected. (If someone can climb this, then an extra 13 feet in a 30-foot section would be no problem for a determined climber.) Any and all useful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Details to follow.

Rick Weber

We are working out the rules now. The structure will include a separate belay for safety that in no way will assist or impede competitors. It was suggested to have a singles and doubles categories. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Are there mega gyms and tricked out sprinters south of the border where latte sipping, binie wearing climbers are getting wicked strong, just so they can cross the border?  

SenorDB · · Old Pueblo · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 8,565

I suggest adding a best costume category for climbing the wall. Would love to see the “President” climb the wall, preferably in a rubber ducky suit.

Francis Sanzaro · · R&I Editor · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Rock and Ice here...this is phenomenal. Someone please send us the vid of the ascent.

Francis

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

I dont think a rope should be allowed for assist. 

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

These designs were proven pretty useful
Andy Bennett · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 676

Don't forget the 24/7 IR and video cameras and floodlights that will be a part of many sections of this idiotic and pointless wall. Any contestants caught by one will need to start over. FUCK THE STUPID BORDER WALL.

Nathan Sullivan · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

I remember a video somewhere where they had a test day of different kinds of border walls - one had a tiny seam, and a climber was aiding up it on gear.  Wish I could find it now, it was hilarious to see real climbing on national news.

Better make sure you have one of those "Walls are meant for climbing" signs somewhere on it.  Hell, maybe you could get some sponsorship from North Face!

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 401
Nathan Sullivan wrote: Better make sure you have one of those "Walls are meant for climbing" signs somewhere on it.

Or maybe some copies of this image.

Richard Weber wrote:
Our President tells us that 20 of the best mountain climbers couldn't climb his wall (Slat version shown in the video of his visit to the construction site.)

Details to follow.

Rick Weber
Justin Butler · · Murrieta · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 261

I bet if you put 2 bachmann knots on the slats of the borderwall you could just ascend up the thing with no issue

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20
Justin Butler wrote: I bet if you put 2 bachmann knots on the slats of the borderwall you could just ascend up the thing with no issue

Ah, the bachmann knot, one of my favorites—named after its illustrious inventor, Michele Bachmann.

SWGuillemot · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 80

The tricky part of this wall is that the top section has 5' high steel plate facing Mexico.  Figuring out a way to climb the slats would not be too difficult, but getting past the plate would be more challenging.  
This article contains some images that you might be able to lift dimensions off of given the 5' height of the panels.
 https://www.kpbs.org/news/2019/aug/09/trumps-wall-14-mile-section-border-wall-repl/

Here are some other images that may be helpful.

I haven't seen published specs on the wall, it appears that the details of construction are being kept secret to make it harder for people to figure out how to breach the wall.https://www.kpbs.org/news/2018/sep/17/government-report-shows-border-wall-designs-broken/ 
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4891728-Border-Wall-Mock-Up-and-Prototype-Test-Final.html#document/p119/a454470 
Fan Y · · Bishop · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 878

Throw a rope over with a ninja hook and just hand over hand up. Geez hold my beer....! 

PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

It is interesting as a climber to think about how the Trump wall can be climbed. However, border crossers will not be so constrained and will likely opt for more straightforward techniques--like using a ladder to climb and a rope to descend. Even Trump knows this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LbynP8GOo

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Border Wall Climbing Competition"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started