Mountain Project Logo

Gunks 9/14 - Did you find bail gear on Asphodel?

Original Post
Andrew Hess · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

It would be nice to get it back. Get in touch?
Thanks,
Andrew

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I'm Shure it would.... 

Anthony Nicholas · · Hoboken, NJ · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

rain or pain, booty is booty

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 4,263
lostlazy wrote: rain or pain, booty is booty

Why not be nice and try to get the gear back first?

James Frost · · Prescott, AZ · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 679
Ron Birk wrote:

I don't think you get how this works.

Anthony Nicholas · · Hoboken, NJ · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0
Ron Birk wrote:

I don't have half the experience other users here have, but in my experience booty is booty unless the party sticks around for you to return it to them. I have had that case multiple times (I've lost count) in the Gunks, where a new leader was over their head and bailed on a climb I was waiting to lead. They would nicely ask if I could try to get their gear back and if I could they would stick around for me to return said gear to them. You bail and leave the scene or you bail and some climber finds it at later time: arrrrrr mateyyyy. I won't make any assumptions about OP's ability, and if anything I would bet that the rain that came through the Gunks on Saturday was the likely cause of this as the overhang/corner above Asphodel tends to flow a bit when it rains. 

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 4,263

I think the right thing to do is to return the gear and not prey on the unfortunate. If you find a wallet, a wedding band or something else of value do you shout booty and keep it? When you see a nice car in the parking lot unattended, time to collect booty? It's no difference.

TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Ron Birk wrote: I think the right thing to do is to return the gear and not prey on the unfortunate. If you find a wallet, a wedding band or something else of value do you shout booty and keep it? When you see a nice car in the parking lot unattended, time to collect booty? It's no difference.

It's quite different. The examples you mentioned are accidents. Getting in over your head or fixing a piece is a mistake. And the booty'er gets to decide if they want to return it or not

Gabe Schwartz · · Hope Valley · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 5

Guys... we have been through this before.  It is pretty simple.

Some of you will find that gear and take it as booty.

Some of us will find that gear and attempt to get it back to the person who lost it.

Just because you would take it and have no second thoughts, does not mean that many others wouldn't try to return it.  Just because you would try to return it, does not mean that many others wouldn't take it and have no second thoughts.

OP, I hope you get your gear back.

~ Gabe

<Whew!>
Thanks, Gabe.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
Gabe Schwartz wrote: Guys... we have been through this before.  It is pretty simple.

Perhaps some have but for those new around here the 250+ post thread might help: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/117694891/does-nobody-understand-booty-anymore

For the OP just a request sans date, time, explanation, what gear was left behind, and previous efforts to retrieve said gear gives little incentive to a pirate.
Allen Sanderson wrote
For the OP just a request sans date, time, explanation, what gear was left behind, and previous efforts to retrieve said gear gives little incentive to a pirate.

The date and location was in the title. If you found gear, you know what was left behind. If you want to return it, great. If not, so be it. 

</end of thread> 

M Cat · · Hell · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1,562
Andrew Hess wrote:

The date and location was in the title. If you found gear, you know what was left behind. If you want to return it, great. If not, so be it. 

Well.. others have offered beer.

Oh I forgot we’re talkin pirates. Try grog
Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

its was the tone. your op sounded rather entitled . there was nothing polite about it. no please or thank you,  give me my gear back....   

Christian Hesch · · Morro Bay · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 55
Nick Goldsmith wrote: its was the tone. your op sounded rather entitled . there was nothing polite about it. no please or thank you,  give me my gear back....   

This x1000.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Gunks 9/14 - Did you find bail gear on Asphodel?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started