Mountain Project Logo

Visiting Pasadena Trip Ideas?

Original Post
Matt Lienemann · · Glenshaw, PA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Hey everyone, coming to visit a friend in Pasadena in late March 2020. Looking for recommendations on where to climb since there are so many choices just looking on mountain project. We would be looking to do some super easy trad stuff 5.5 and under and then sport stuff 5.9 and under. I have a whole week so lots of time to get some for climbs in. I know I want to get to Joshua tree during the week to check it out and maybe do SW Corner or some other popular ones. But let me know what your favorites are or any other tips for first time climbing in the West. Thanks!

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Go to New Jack City... 

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

Jtree - plenty of options for easy to hard, trad to sport (ish)
Alabama Hills over NJC, for easy clip-ups in a better setting

Check weather then head to either place first/second depending. 

Matthew Campbell · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Texas Canyon, for sure. Not a bad drive from Pasadena, not far part JPL, lots of routes, and pretty easy hike in. Feel free to DM and I can scrounge some locals who will take any excuse to plan a day at the crag!

Thanks for the help everyone! Greatly appreciated.

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

Is the plan to do one day road trips from Pasadena over the course of a week, or to do a one week road trip starting and ending in Pasadena?

Probably one day road trips because I won't have enough space to bring all my gear in addition to camping stuff unfortunately.

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

I’m on the road myself. Will make a few specific recs when I get home. JT will be gorgeous in March. It’s not a bad day trip from Pasadena but there are some pretty cheap motels in Yucca Valley. would give you Two days in a row there, which you would enjoy. 

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I agree it’s worth spending the night locally while at Josh to make the most of your visit.  Also, while I don’t often visit the Alabama Hills for the climbing, the scenery that time of year will be spectacular.  Mt. Whitney and rest of the Sierra will be covered in white and looking real nice.  Nothing like the scenery on the East Coast.  Big, dramatic topography.  Be sure to enjoy some of Pasadena while you’re there.  The Norton Simon is great, as is the Gamble House. The Huntington is nearby as well in San Marino.  Really good, real Chinese food further east in Monterey Park, etc.  Enjoy.  

Matthew Campbell · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Huntington gardens is beautiful in late winter/early spring! Many of the desert plants will be in bloom.

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

Bring a small/backpacking camp setup - or look into renting. If you don't have to be in Pasadena every night, you'd be missing out by not camping in Jtree and AL Hills. 

Recommendation on where to camp? That does sound better 

Randy · · Lassitude 33 · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,279

No need to bring camping gear, as you can easily rent anything you need (including bouldering pads, guidebooks, etc.) - at Joshua Tree Outfitters. Super nice and helpful people and they can help with beta:  http://joshuatreeoutfitters.com/

Bring your shoes, harness rope and rack.

For Sport, Todd Gordon's JT Sport Climbing Guide is a Must.

Alabama Hills is OK, but not really a day trip from Pasadena.

Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120

Hey Matt, as a Monrovia/ Pasadena local I can honestly say hit up Jtree, Big Bear, or Idyllwild while you’re hear. Don’t waste your time with Malibu Creek, Texas Canyon, or Riverside Quarry. You can always hit Stoney Point up as well, but that’s mostly TR and Bouldering.

Kristian Solem · · Monrovia, CA · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,055

Big Bear will be cold if it's even accessible when you'll be here. Josh should be perfect. Randy's suggestion to rent from JT outfitters is a good one unless your destinations make it logistically hard to get the stuff back to them.

Do you have friends in Pasadena you're staying with? One thing I've done a bunch of times is UPS the gear to someone in advance. Then you don't need to carry any gear on the plane.

I wouldn't bother with Texas Cyn. but that's just me...

The climbing at New Jack can be pretty good, just don't expect aesthetics.

Jack Simonton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0
Guy Keesee wrote: Go to New Jack City... 

Good idea.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Jack Simonton wrote:

Good idea.

I just like the place..... many po po the idea of going there but you can get cheap decent motels and restaurants in Barstow..... beats the F out of Josh with the nonexistent camping and overrun climbing spots. 

But that’s just me. 
jellybean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

New Jack city.

Jack Simonton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0
Guy Keesee wrote:

I just like the place..... many po po the idea of going there but you can get cheap decent motels and restaurants in Barstow..... beats the F out of Josh with the nonexistent camping and overrun climbing spots. 

But that’s just me. 

Thank you so much, guys. It's very

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Visiting Pasadena Trip Ideas?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started