Mountain Project Logo

TC pro clone is being made by 5.10

Rennie Putnam · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 22
Niccolo Gallio · · mainly Italy · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0
Rennie Putnam wrote: mountainproject.com/forum/t…

I hope you didn't buy from that website, it's so sketchy that Safari doesn't even let me open it...

Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Ran into Kevin Jorgeson last weekend and he showed them to me, he seemed really stoked on their edging. They're more downturned than TC Pros, seems like a cool shoe. Didn't seem like a TC pro clone just cause they have tall ankles.

Cole Darby · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 166

Basically no one knows anything on the status of these shoes, and Fiveten/Adidas wont reply to inquires.

Meanwhile LaSportiva keeps raking in $700 (or whatever they go for now) per pair of TC Pros.

Thats a big market. HURRY UP FIVEDOTTEN

All of the gym climbers who saw Free Solo and want a pair of TC Pros = LOTS O MONEY
Trad climbers that currently have two choices (Evolv Generals or TC Pros) = LESS MONEY, but probably not bad

Nick Niebuhr · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465

I heard through the grapevine from a photographer photographing a couple 5.10 sponsored climbers this spring in the desert (probably can't guess who) that the Grandstones are awful. There's a pic of one of them through an offwidth crack where the shoe is basically folding over on itself. That's about all I know though. And I don't think they're gonna say anything bad about them since they're sponsored.

I wondered if Pete and Tom were just wearing them in all their video posts this last year, and then turning off the camera and putting on proper shoes.

Or maybe if you get 10 free pairs they aren't that bad.

I NEED A NEW SHOE TO HELP ME CLIMB BETTER! TRAINING AND TECHNIQUE/SKILL WORK IS TOO SLOW

Rennie Putnam · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 22

I inquired recently to Adidas, and was told they'll be available on 9/18.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Cole D wrote: I wondered if Pete and Tom were just wearing them in all their video posts this last year, and then turning off the camera and putting on proper shoes.

Or maybe if you get 10 free pairs they aren't that bad.

I NEED A NEW SHOE TO HELP ME CLIMB BETTER! TRAINING AND TECHNIQUE/SKILL WORK IS TOO SLOW

Have they been wearing them?  I haven’t seen it.  Both are normally die-hard Anasazi wearers, and Pete’s been rocking the Pros lately while Tom the Pinks.

Niccolo Gallio · · mainly Italy · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0
https://www.adidas.be/en/five-ten-grandstone-shoes/BC0866.html
not present in US store, confirmed in Belgium and Italian Store
Ted Pinson wrote:

Have they been wearing them?  I haven’t seen it.  Both are normally die-hard Anasazi wearers, and Pete’s been rocking the Pros lately while Tom the Pinks.

This magnus video comes to mind

Also the Utah trip they did this year, around the time of the black mamba send, there were videos posted with them wearing those shoes

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
Cole D wrote: Basically no one knows anything on the status of these shoes, and Fiveten/Adidas wont reply to inquires.

Meanwhile LaSportiva keeps raking in $700 (or whatever they go for now) per pair of TC Pros.

Thats a big market. HURRY UP FIVEDOTTEN

All of the gym climbers who saw Free Solo and want a pair of TC Pros = LOTS O MONEY
Trad climbers that currently have two choices (Evolv Generals or TC Pros) = LESS MONEY, but probably not bad

or Butora Altura 

A month ago were $90 or less at Campsaver on sale/coupon combo. I scored a like new pair off ebay for $50 - crazy stiff, need to see if they break in. Street shoe or up for sizing (read reviews). Seem very well constructed. Both the Generals and Alturas seem to have that in common vs the TC Pros, based on reviews. 
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Matt N wrote:

or Butora Altura 

Well built shoes, but not good for low-volume feet, as the toe-box is too tall and so it is sloppy for people like me with small bones in the foot.

Lon Harter · · Reno NV · Joined May 2018 · Points: 441
Buck Rogers                 ·         Dec 13, 2018        ·                    Germany                             · Joined Nov 2018            · Points: 130               Not to highjack the thread too badly (but I probably am) but now that I am back climbing after 15 years I really miss my kaukulator shoes.  

What's the closest thing to them out there now?  Are the TC Pros pretty close?
I would think the BOREAL BALLET would fit that bill. mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/rsh…   Although it is a board lasted shoe I don't remember if the kaukulator were or not.
Jon Browher · · Wolfeboro, NH · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 340
Lon Harter wrote: I would think the BOREAL BALLET would fit that bill.  https://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/rshoes/BorealBalletGold.htm  Although it is a board lasted shoe I don't remember if the kaukulator were or not.

These look like an homage --

https://www.tulsontolf.com/store/california
selma nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 10

i contacted FiveTen and they said mid sept they will be online. 

You Really Are The Greatest · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

I’m amazed that people still find 5.10 shoes appealing, you all must have some super bulbous heels to be able to fill in the ridiculous heel cups on their shoes.

Alpine Dreamin' · · The Mighty Granite State · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 135

I just wish they would bring back the Anasazi Hightops. One of my all time favorite shoes.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
Scott Fagen wrote: I’m amazed that people still find 5.10 shoes appealing, you all must have some super bulbous heels to be able to fill in the ridiculous heel cups on their shoes.

They are one of the only shoes that fit me.  

Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350

I’ll wait for them to go on close out for $39 and buy 5 pair 

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930
Kevin Mokracek wrote:
I stock piled the Grandstone when they discontinued it and have been getting them resoled as they wear out.   I have arthritis in one of my big toes and these are the perfect stiffness without sacrificing flex for smearing.  nullnull

Not to contribute too much to your insanity, as I both appreciate and respect it, but what size do you wear Kevin? I may have a brand new pair I'll let go reasonably for a fair price. Finding a good pair of shoes that fir you is a precious thing. 

My TC Pros hurt in one spot, and worst of all I don't climb like  Tommy or Alex as promised.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "TC pro clone is being made by 5.10"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started