Mountain Project Logo

How fast can cams be reslung?

Original Post
Aidan Raviv · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 95

I would like to get a bootied C4 reslung as a bday gift for my climbing partner. How quick is the turnaround from BD? Also, if I went the custom route, do you think someone could sew a little tag into the sling? Spitballing here but lmk. 

mbk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

I sent a double rack of Camalots to BD on 12/22/2014 and received them on 1/28/2015.     I don't know if that turnaround time is typical.  I intentionally chose the off-season so that it wouldn't impact my climbing schedule.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

mbk’s experience is within BD’s estimated range if one discounts a bit for the New Years holiday:

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/climbing%2Fspare-parts-camalot_service.html

“Please expect 1-2 weeks for a response containing your RA and shipping label, and a 1-2 week turnaround time on your cam repair request.”

For some reason, I thought they had recently stopped reslinging?

Josh Lukas · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 69

The club I'm in just sent them some cams to be reslung and it took about three weeks from mailing them to getting them back.

Morty Gwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

Call these folks and make a special request.

http://www.mtntools.com/

Sweet. Just wanted to verify it actually took about as long as they said.

I'll also check out mtntools. I remembered something like that was around but didn't know the name.

Thanks all!

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

Runout Customs Designs does custom work. Call them for turnaround times and prices.

Andy Eiter · · Madison, WI · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 276

I sent 9 cams to runout customs and got them back in 8 days (6 business days) I think.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

For BD cams in the past, be aware that the double-wrap of sling around the thumb loop is closely tied to the cams strength rating.  Apparently, a single wrap is significantly weaker as the wire loop pinches down on it during a fall.

BD knows of course and will re-sling in this manner. But an independent party may not know.

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

if i have the webbing, a sharp knife, and bic handy, i bet i can resling a rack of cams in about 8 minutes.  

anyone want to challenge me? 

Sawyer W · · NH · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0
Redyns wrote: if i have the webbing, a sharp knife, and bic handy, i bet i can resling a rack of cams in about 8 minutes.  

I’ll take the under

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380
Bill Lawry wrote: For BD cams in the past, be aware that the double-wrap of sling around the thumb loop is closely tied to the cams strength rating.  Apparently, a single wrap is significantly weaker as the wire loop pinches down on it during a fall.

BD knows of course and will re-sling in this manner. But an independent party may not know.

BD will only re-sling Camelots in their original configuration. This approach values ultimate strength over usefulness and light weight. Wild Country, on the other hand, goes for the utility and weight savings of a doubled sling and values that over ultimate strength. You call it. 15kN vs. 11kN. 

I had a complete set of C4s reslung with full length runners, turning them into cam/extendible draw units. Saved the weight of 2 carabiners and a sling with every placement. Of course this isn’t important in Indian Creek or Yosemite but, boy, was it ever nice in Eldorado, T-Wall, the Gunks and in the alpine.
Climb Safe,Mal

Mtn Tools update: I'm not sure they fully understood the point of what I was trying to do (read: memento, anniversary present, useful cam--in that order tbh) and didn't seem interested in altering their reslinging process, which is fair. The guy said that if the message isn't "mission critical" to the climb then "maybe it should be left on the ground." I thought that was kinda funny because he said the sew their own tag into the sling for traceability and also because that's kind of a funny thing to tell someone?

I'll try runout customs. According to their website, they are currently closed while they move their shop? I got their voicemail and sent an email.

Shaniac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 24
Former Climber wrote: Other options I’ve run across but not used:

https://raggedmountain.com/cam-resling-service

https://m.facebook.com/Cacciaequipment/

I have used RaggedMountain and can vouch for them, the re-sling of about three cams was about 4 days (in summer) but there was no tag or any ID, but the quality was superb. You can dictate any color nylon you want. Good luck!

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Redyns wrote: if i have the webbing, a sharp knife, and bic handy, i bet i can resling a rack of cams in about 8 minutes.  

We’re talking about sewn slings, not old school water knots.   

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60
Marc801 C wrote:

We’re talking about sewn slings, not old school water knots.   

your dollar, not mine.

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
bus driver wrote: Buy these and do it yourself maybe?!? /.

How do you propose to get the sewn sling around the cable loop?

And that looks like a regular draw, not a "cam sling".

Though I do know how to sew bar tacks and stuff I would prefer not to sling/sew my own cams. I don't have the right equipment or experience to do it safely. I'll check out those other options.

Aaron Felder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 25

Runout is the only way to go. Though I think he may be out for a while as he's moving back to Moab. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "How fast can cams be reslung?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started