Mountain Project Logo

Status of Water bivy on Galactic Hitchhiker

Original Post
Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120

Can anyone tell me if there’s still water up on the Oasis? Looking to do do Galactic Hitchhiker and bivy, it’d be nice to just refill on water there and not lug as much around on the lower half. Thanks again. 

David Lo Pan wrote: I’ll let you know in a few weeks.  :-)

I’ll be heading up sometime sept. 24-29 hopefully you get there first.

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567
David Lo Pan wrote: I’ll let you know in a few weeks.  :-)

Like Jack Burton always says....what the hell

Justin S wrote: Can anyone tell me if there’s still water up on the Oasis? Looking to do do Galactic Hitchhiker and bivy, it’d be nice to just refill on water there and not lug as much around on the lower half. Thanks again. 

where did you find info for some water up there, or does the name just imply it?  been looking at this the past few months to maybe make an attempt, but haven't seen that info.

Erik Sloan · · Yosemite, CA · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 254

Lol, def never heard that there was water up there.....but it would be cool if there was!

went on a bit of a search, clint cummons has a supertopo post in 2011 with drinkable water.

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

I went up to the oasis a few years ago-- I don't remember there being water up there, but I wasn't actively looking for it...my guess is that you could find some H20 in the winter/spring, but probably not in the summer/fall?

Thanks for the input, we’ll just not take the risk and pack out what we need. 

Justin S wrote: Thanks for the input, we’ll just not take the risk and pack out what we need. 

You could always bring a straw, that way you'll be prepared if there is a trickle somewhere

mpech wrote:

You could always bring a straw, that way you'll be prepared if there is a trickle somewhere

Hahahahhha

Clint Cummins · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,738
Danny Herrera wrote: went on a bit of a search, clint cummons has a supertopo post in 2011 with drinkable water.

Yes, water was flowing at The Oasis nicely in August 2011.

Drank a bunch and topped off our bottles.

I recall it is described as a year round spring in the Roper guide, and that's still true.
[Edit to add:]  Roper (1971) guide, p.202:  "... the Oasis, an all-year spring at the junction of the Apron and the wall."

I recommend doing a "test run" to The Oasis without bivy gear to see how fast you are, and to get familiar with the lower pitches.
Then you will know if you can just go for the whole route in a day.
Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

Clint nailed it, do a practice run to the Oasis and make sure you have 2 ropes! (or a rope and a 60m tag line). I had "heard" there was a single rope rap off the Oasis but I can assure you that from personal expreince you do not want to be rappelling 14 double rope raps with a single 60meter in the event you do not find that rappel.

Maybe Clint can speak to that as well.  

Thanks for all the input everyone. It doesn’t look like this is going to be the route choice for this trip anymore, but it’s for sure happening next season. All the little tips add up!

Ero Sennin wrote: As of 10/4, water is only seeping down the rock. You’d have a hard time collecting it. Anyone doing the route now would have to hump all their water up. 

looks like my suggestion to bring the good old alpine straw wasn't so stupid after all !

Ero Sennin wrote: As of 10/4, water is only seeping down the rock. You’d have a hard time collecting it. Anyone doing the route now would have to hump all their water up. 

Should’ve waited for your pack mule....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Status of Water bivy on Galactic Hitchhiker"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.