Mountain Project Logo

Best customer service from Metolius

Original Post
christoph benells · · tahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 306

Just wanted to give a shout out to Metolius!

Sent back 4 UL mastercams for resling/cleaning, they did it for free for no reason other than they're great, and I got them back so quick.

Cams came back as good as new. What a great company!

Nathan Sullivan · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

They don't make the flashiest or "innovate"-iest gear, but it all works well and holds up over time.  I'm a fan of their packs and UL mastercams myself.

What's real fun is that the UL Mastercams are made in Oregon, AND cost less than other models - which tells you something about some of the other brands...

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

Metolius service is simply stellar. Quick, professional, cleaned the cams and sent me a tracking number to see when I'd get my cams back.

Welcome To The Zoo · · UMass · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 1,686

Love their packs and UL Mastercams as well! 

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

I really like that company. I Always look to them first when I need something. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Nathan Sullivan wrot
What's real fun is that the UL Mastercams are made in Oregon, AND cost less than other models - which tells you something about some of the other brands...

You realize, I'm sure, that the cost of producing something is not what sets the sale price of that something. Not taking anything away from Metolius, just observing that pricing is based on general supply-demand principles, not manufacturing costs. 

I F · · Megalopolis Adjacent · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 4,362

I've got 2 metolius crashpads. Affordable, durable, and light. No frills but they're great.

Kenny Kendel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10

Ditto on the OP..sent my TCUs to them because the rubber o rings had dry rotted off a couple of them and lobes were separating..they replaced rings with metal circlips, reslung, cleaned and lubed..and replaced the two smallest sizes because they the were blems I got from GX.  I think they charged me $27

George Bracksieck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 3,393
Señor Arroz wrote:

You realize, I'm sure, that the cost of producing something is not what sets the sale price of that something. Not taking anything away from Metolius, just observing that pricing is based on general supply-demand principles, not manufacturing costs. 

This is only partly true when regarding the manufacture of hard goods. Why did many American companies move their manufacturing to China? So they could sell their products for less than if those products were made here. Because manufacturing costs are higher here. 

George Bracksieck wrote:

This is only partly true when regarding the manufacture of hard goods. Why did many American companies move their manufacturing to China? So they could sell their products for less than if those products were made here. Because manufacturing costs are higher here. 

Well, actually, they moved the manufacturing so they could increase their profit margins. Selling their product for less than before was forced on them by competition increasing supply and forcing the prices downward. You don't think they're choosing to sell things for less than they could get, do you?  BD Cams were $50-$60 back in the 1990s-2,000s. I just bought Ultralights on sale for that same price, and that's not even adjusted for inflation. So many options and so much competition. Totem will only be getting $70-$80 as long as there's a sense of scarcity. 

Tyler S · · SLC · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 5

Same story here! Even when I bought their cams on a mega pro deal when I worked for REI, their service was top notch. Incredibly fast and friendly, didn't even charge me tax or shipping for some reason.

With two seasons of use, I love my Mastercams and TCUs more and more with each placement. 

Tyler S · · SLC · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 5

Also worth mentioning, I really like their slings for alpine draws. Half my alpines are BD, the other half are Metolius. Even though the BD's are skinnier the Metolius handle better. The BD's tend to twist and kink and have developed "creases" where they are folded up, the Metolius are still smooth and supple. 

Ryan O · · Portland, OR · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 56

+1 for Metolius praise thread. I haven’t experienced a real issue with a Metolius product to date. 

George Bracksieck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 3,393
Señor Arroz wrote:

Well, actually, they moved the manufacturing so they could increase their profit margins. Selling their product for less than before was forced on them by competition increasing supply and forcing the prices downward. You don't think they're choosing to sell things for less than they could get, do you?  BD Cams were $50-$60 back in the 1990s-2,000s. I just bought Ultralights on sale for that same price, and that's not even adjusted for inflation. So many options and so much competition. Totem will only be getting $70-$80 as long as there's a sense of scarcity. 

Sometimes they sell for less in an attempt to outsell the competition, whether or not they will have a profit margin. This is done whether or not the competition increases supply. Whether or not a company can weather losses that may not cover manufacturing and distribution costs is another matter. 

George Bracksieck wrote:

Sometimes they sell for less in an attempt to outsell the competition, whether or not they will have a profit margin. This is done whether or not the competition increases supply. Whether or not a company can weather losses that may not cover manufacturing and distribution costs is another matter. 

Sure, but, again, that's proof that cost of production doesn't set sale price. Demand does. And while selling at a loss can be a decent short term tactic to gain market share, it's a deadly long term business strategy. Just look at Uber, for example, still losing money every time you ride. And watch how that turns out in the long run. 

Past User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,069

Metolius is and has always been a rad company.

Astronuts
Biners fs minis
Campus rungs!
Climbing holds
Crag station pack
Crashpads!
Curved nuts
Ultralight powercams, UL tcus, powercams, even supercams! (Protect a rounded out placement like nothing else can!)
Long draws
P.A.S
Safe tec Harnesses
Ropebags
Nut tool!
Ultralight chalkbag

And Amazing people!

A small business with so many rad products and innovations! And many years of business.
They never sold out.

Tyler M · · Northern AZ · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 432

Metolius customer service = unmatched. 

Sam Skovgaard · · Port Angeles, WA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 208

Don't forget their durathane haul bags.  Those things are bomber!

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

I swung a haul bag waist belt against some rocks to get snow off of it and it shattered. In retrospect, fucking duh.

Emailed and asked them for details so I could buy a replacement and they sent me one for free. Despite me being the dumb dumb.

Metolius gets my love.

Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

I feel like Metolius is the DMM of N. America. Awesome company of real people. 

Shaniac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 24

+1 on the Metolius quality and customer service. They re-sling their cams for an incredibly low price and when they come back they are all polished, lubed and somehow look brand new. Feels like magic, but it is really just top notch customer service. Long live Metolius! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best customer service from Metolius"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started