Mountain Project Logo

Does nobody understand BOOTY anymore?

Original Post
Cole Paiement · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 255

Okay so epic rescues aside, lately I have been seeing quite a few "My cam got stuck on Very Routine Normal Climb (5.8)! Get it back to me!" posts on the MP forum. Are the rules of booty changing? If I get a cam stuck should I just put a tag on it with my name and mailing address and then call you an asshole when you don't go out of your way to mail it back to me?

This past weekend I was in Maple. We walked up to a wall just as another group was leaving. They approached us and said "Hey, we had to bail on a route. Can you guys get our quickdraw back?" My partner agreed to do it and started to rack up but before she could start climbing this whole group just WALKED AWAY saying "Oh, we have to leave. You guys live in SLC, right? Just text us so we can come pick up the draw." That just seems insane to me. You can't wait around an extra 5 minutes yet you expect a stranger to go out of their way to give you back your gear? What is happening?!?

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

If a party sticks around to see if someone is willing to get their gear for them and someone around is willing and/or able to get it then they should get it back. They leave for any reason other than danger/accident then the gear is boot. They can ask for it online all they want and maybe they'll get it back but it doesn't hurt anyone to post up.

It's climbing; everyone gets their own rules of engagement but it's often unlikely others will agree unless their own rules happen to coincide.

Let it go. If it's actively having an effect upon your life then go ahead and stand up for yourself. If it's not doing anything other than forcing you to move your thumb/hand a few millimeters to scroll past, ask yourself if this is really the hill that deserves your energy to die on. 

Noah R · · Burlington, VT · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Lol fuck that honestly. If the owner is not present and its not a clear disaster bail, its booty. Also if you left a quickdraw you fucked up. Either cannibalize one biner off it for the bail and eat the 4.50 for another or carry a bail biner (one that you've already bootied ideally) on routes that are at or above your limit. Maybe if they picked it up, but I probably would not go out of my way to meet them.

Rock Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 179

Climbers are getting soft if they expect any gear back, I'd laugh and just keep the gear.

A party who left the gear has no claim to the gear once they bail ... You can be nice, but often the best thing to do is teach them a lesson.

It's not a 'dick move' to keep something you booty. There should be no expectation to return ANYTHING. If you left it on a climb, its not yours anymore, that rule should never change.

Snow Flake · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Ya know, if I came across a stuck cam with a mailing address and envelope with cash to cover postage, I'd return it.

Ģnöfudør Ðrænk · · In the vicinity of 43 deg l… · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 2
Josh B wrote: Ya know, if I came across a stuck can with a mailing address and envelope with cash to cover postage, I'd return it. 

You are a better person than me.

Spaggett, Gotcha! · · Western NC · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

A tinder date bailed off p2 of a 3-pitch "moderate classic" bc halfway up one of them panicked and also had never rapped before, ever.  In passing, they told us where they're camping w/in a 30 min drive and took off - yeah we didn't go looking.  

As a funny aside, my buddy noted "nice climbing booty!" upon examination of our loot before the next pitch.  A bystanding lass starting off the same ledge to another route had an offended shit fit thinking the comment was directed at her.  Just in case you were wondering if things have gotten out of hand yet.

ddriver · · SLC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 2,084

I'm with you OP.  If I or my partner can't get gear out we carry on and consider it abandoned.  No whining or wailing ensues.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Well, there are also dirtbags that consider lowering carabiners at the anchors booty.

M Santisi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,889
Cole Paiement wrote:"Oh, we have to leave. You guys live in SLC, right? Just text us so we can come pick up the draw." That just seems insane to me. You can't wait around an extra 5 minutes yet you expect a stranger to go out of their way to give you back your gear? What is happening?!?

Please tell me you didn’t text them and give there gear back.  If they can’t wait then they don’t deserve it back.

My favorite are the threads that start off with Lost Cam then when you read the entire post it says on pitch so and so of this climb.  It’s not lost if you know where it is.  You just couldn’t get it out.  Post it saying it’s stuck, offer a nice reward, and hope for the best.
Marlin Thorman · · Spokane, WA · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 2,415

Nope definitely booty gear.   For those who haven't heard....
https://www.badbetapodcast.com/episodes/2017/5/18/episode-2-booty-booty-booty-and-john-long

Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

Noah, where's your avatar pic from?

Cole Paiement · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 255
amarius wrote: Well, there are also dirtbags that consider lowering carabiners at the anchors booty.

Lol I watched this happen at the Red. It was actually pretty funny:

Lowering climber starts pulling off a cleaner biner towards the bottom of the route

Neighboring climber says "Hey man, leave that! It makes it easier to clean the last two draws!"

Lowering climber says "Booty is booty, man!" and takes the cleaner biner.

Lowering climber then cleans the last two draws, lets go, and takes a big swing right into a tree. 
M Santisi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,889
Tom Sherman wrote: Noah, where's your avatar pic from?

Pete’s Farewell

Not MP Admin · · The OASIS · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 17

Unless you are hot or offer me a beer (preferably both) then you ain't getting gear you left back 

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

I've also noticed the change in thought when it comes to booty gear.  If you can't complete a route (not due to an emergency) and leave bail gear, then consider it DONATED...  It's no ones responsibility to retrieve your stuff for you.

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Booty is legally theft, booty is cleaning up the wilderness of litter, and whining about people wanting their gear back is more precious than the people who actually want their stuff back.

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

I found a brand new rope at Tick Rock posted up on lost and found on MP  The only responses I got were people talking shit lol Also left a note on the message board as well at the rock for three months never got a response so I guess the rope is mine now!

Noah R · · Burlington, VT · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
mnjsan wrote:

Pete’s Farewell

^^ Such a classic romp. Good eye sir.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

There are no booty rules.  There is a booty rule though. If the booty is part of an accident, then if possible return it. Otherwise we're talking beer.

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

Nothing breaks my heart more than when I find booty but can't remove it.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Does nobody understand BOOTY anymore?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started