Mountain Project Logo

Best water bottle to attach to harness?

Original Post
Ben L · · Las Vegas · Joined May 2015 · Points: 70

I'm pretty frustrated with the soft waterbottles such as platypus that have a good attach point for a biner to clip to your harness while leading - just because they are so hard to clean and dry.

Does anyone know of an easier to clean alternative?

I'm looking for something small and light for 2-3 pitch routes where a few sips at a belay or the top are really nice when it's hot.

Ken Tubbs · · Eugene, OR · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 1

A small plastic soft drink bottle with a piece of cord looped and taped around its neck.

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286

I use one of these backcountrygear.com/nalgene…  with a nalgene water bottle.  It works great.

You can also duct tape a sling or webbing around the bottom of a bottle.

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

carry a small pack instead...

Gargano · · Arizona · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,535

I take a 12-20 oz bottle (small gatorade, tea, etc) and clove hitch a 3mm sling around the neck. Clip it on and you're ready to roll. Use it for a month and then recycle it when it gets rough.

wonderwoman wrote: I just bought a bubi.  However, I am going to replace the mini biner with some chord and a regular biner to attach to my harness..  The water bottle came flying off the outside of my pack during a hike out.  But It is collapsible and doesn't have plasticizer taste.

This looks like exactly what I was after! Thanks!

Did the mini biner break when it came off your pack?
wonderwoman wrote:

I like it so far.  But if it gets squished in your pack it can leak.  I carry it on the outside or make sure it's not going to get squished.

Good to know.. I'd probably just fill it with enough for the climb when racking up. I like the attach point is built in. I get a bit worried about something tied around the neck popping over the neck and falling :/

T G wrote: Hydrapak has a few soft flasks with wide mouths and attachment points. They used to make a 500mL flask with a twist cap and attachment point like the current 750mL version, but it doesn't seem to be available any longer.

This looks pretty nice but I might worry about how secure the attach point is. I'd expect it might get scraped against some rock on my harness so was looking for an attach point really sturdy or built into the body or lid.

Russ B · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 42

I've used the same soft flasks for a year and had no issues with just rinsing/washing them out every now and again, they're the best thing you're gonna find so I'd recommend dealing with it, or try another brand.

https://hydrapak.com/shop/flexible-water-bottles/stow-500-ml

Mike V. · · Logan, UT · Joined May 2010 · Points: 47
Gargano wrote: I take a 12-20 oz bottle (small gatorade, tea, etc) and clove hitch a 3mm sling around the neck. Clip it on and you're ready to roll. Use it for a month and then recycle it when it gets rough.

This is my system as well. Clip behind my chalk bag for multi-pitch days.

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20

Small mouth nalgene with a jug knot: youtube.com/watch?v=YTrkrd-…

Works great, cost is about $0.25 of accessory cord, and the nalgene can go in the dishwasher.

Crotch Robbins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 277
Gargano wrote: I take a 12-20 oz bottle (small gatorade, tea, etc) and clove hitch a 3mm sling around the neck. Clip it on and you're ready to roll. Use it for a month and then recycle it when it gets rough.

This is the way of the ninja.

Russ B wrote: I've used the same soft flasks for a year and had no issues with just rinsing/washing them out every now and again, they're the best thing you're gonna find so I'd recommend dealing with it, or try another brand.

https://hydrapak.com/shop/flexible-water-bottles/stow-500-ml

yeah.. hydrapak definitely look better than the platypus style which are flat so hard to dry after rinsing out. other than being hard to clean/dry I do actually like platypus for clipping and weight

appreciate the cord tips too everyone!

Russ B · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 42

maybe rig something up to go inside them and hold them open, like a bottle brush or some prongs on the dish holder.

But, the hydrapak bottles hold open on their own and dry just fine overnight standing up on a towel. 

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

Cycling bottles work well too

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718
Roots wrote: carry a small pack instead...

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/117300735/climbing-with-a-pack

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262

Duct tape a nut to your nalgene and clip it to your harness. then you always have a bail nut if yur soft like me.

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,945
Ken Tubbs wrote: A small plastic soft drink bottle with a piece of cord looped and taped around its neck.

That's probably 1 time use plastic...

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
Morgan Patterson wrote:

That's probably 1 time use plastic...

...but I've used mine dozens of times. They're very sturdy actually and about as light as you can get for size/volume. The small ones are great for short multi-pitch. I clove hitch the top as shown and then wrap duct tape around the cord to ensure no loosening. 1 small and 1 larger bottle going strong after a year+ of multi-pitch routes and occasional backpacking use. 

Google thinks I'm not? gonna die maybe I am, maybe not? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/reuse-plastic-bottles 

ryan Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 15

Hydrapack 500Ml works great for me, attachment point hasn't failed yet, i also some times use the 1L version with no issues. They are very durable 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best water bottle to attach to harness?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.