Mountain Project Logo

Anybody know what happened at Bell Buttress today in Boulder Canyon?

Original Post
Zach Joing · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 85

Lots of police, SAR, and paramedics today at bell buttress.  Anybody know what happened?  They had the litter out, and were rigging for the tyrollean when we drove past.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812
Kate Sedrowski · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Wow, we drove past that just as SAR & paramedics were arriving. That's not the news I hoped to hear, so horrible. RIP.

joe trabucco · · Boulder, co · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Yes, I was the other team at bell buttress.   I talked with the deceased gentlemen as they were atop of cosmosis pitch 1.  They did pitch 2 of cosmosis and were trying to find the walk off.  The Kansas man stepped onto unstable rock, which gave way.  

jred Andress · · Ogden, utah · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I was the partner.  We had topped out and were looking for the rap anchors actually.  I was taking the anchor down while my partner down climbed a little bit to see if the rap station was below us. It was a easy and safe area.  I had finished taking everything apart and we had saw the anchors across the way.  My partner said it looked like it was easy to get to. I walked up and around and I'm not sure what exactly happened but all of a sudden I hurd a noise that sounded like my partner jumped across (this was my first thought at least) and I yelled out his name and got no response. Heard someone from the ground yell out "are you ok."  That's when I knew something had happened.  I was told as was the news that a rock gave way.  Not sure if he was trying to climb up to get across to the anchor or was turning around to go up the way he went down. It was very tragic and should not have happened.  We were having a great day and he had said how awesome the first pitch of cosmosis was.  Said it was his favorite pitch in Colorado so far.  One thing I will say is the news got the height of the fall wrong. I rappelled in on a 80m rope and was just able to get to him so I would say it was a 120 foot fall.  I'm posting this just so people know what happened.  Also if someone could go up and get the rope I had to leave that would be great.  It was stuck when SAR tried to pull it.  I slung it around a tree.  RIP

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Jared, So sorry man. sympathies to you.

And to his friends and family.

I met him a few days ago and we were trying to hook up to climb together. I enjoyed his company for that short time. Nice guy and a great loss.

Also have mutual climbing partner friends in common. Condolences to everyone who knew him.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Really sorry to hear this news. Condolences to friends and family of the deceased.

Jeremy Collins · · MO + CA · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 1,298

This sucks. So sorry. 

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

Im so sorry for your loss, Jared.   

Natalie M · · Aspen, CO · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 2,747

This is so unfortunate.  I climbed with him earlier in the week at Eldo. We had great time. Very strong climber,  very competent.  Sounds like he was having a heck of a trip hitting a lot of classics. Condolences to his friends and family.  Climb in peace.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Sad.

Condolences to Family and Friends.

RIP 

SteelRain 22 · · Your Mom's house · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 15

Vaya con dios amigo

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Anybody know what happened at Bell Buttress tod…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started