Mountain Project Logo

Teton's or Sawtooth

Original Post
C Turner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0

I have an opportunity to do some climbing next month and want to go somewhere new. Looking hard at Teton's and Sawtooth. Interested in 5.8/5.10 multi-pitch trad climbing. I'm planning on using a guide. I've called around and both sound cool. If anyone has experience with either, I'd appreciate hearing your opinion.

Clint Cummins · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,738

Sawtooths in Idaho, like Elephant's Perch?
I prefer Elephant's Perch granite over Tetons rock.
But it would be wise to look at some climbs in the grade range you prefer and choose on that basis.
At Elephant's Perch, you can also climb most of the good 5.11s at 5.10 A0 by pulling on a couple of bolts.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

Next month could be winter in both locations...

Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

Exum Mtn guides are the way to go.

ddriver · · SLC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 2,084

Check the long-term forecast for Stanley and Jackson.  Most anything in the Sawtooths will want a backcountry camp.  In the Tetons you can more easily sit out a spate of bad weather with beer and pizza at Dornan's and then walk in for shorter routes.  Plenty of good climbing either place, though.

John Roark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I love getting into the Tetons but I think the Sawtooth's - particularly Elephant's Perch - would be better for a climbing trip. 

C Turner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it. I'm leaning to Elephant's Perch over something like Guides Wall but, as a day climb, Elephant's Perch sounds like a longer approach and I'm worried for these old bones (not to mention sea-level lungs). There is also that 1000 foot wall too. Gotta decide soon.

ddriver · · SLC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 2,084

EP is for sure a better and bigger day than Guides Wall but there are also much better days to be had in the Tetons. Aim higher there.

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5
ddriver wrote: EP is for sure a better and bigger day than Guides Wall but there are also much better days to be had in the Tetons. Aim higher there.

Guide's Wall (6p), continue to the summit of Storm Point (6p), then Symmetry Spire (6p).  A good day.  Start early.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

what is EP?

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286
Nick Goldsmith wrote: what is EP?

Elephant's Perch

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Teton's or Sawtooth"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started