Mountain Project Logo

Worst sub-forum on MP?

Original Post
Kristian Andersen · · San Diego · Joined May 2012 · Points: 304

I have been on MP for many years and I gotta say - over the past year, this sub-forum has become intolerable. I see OPs asking genuine climbing-related questions, only to be immediately ambushed by trolls left, right, and center - it’s absolutely impossible to have a thread stay on course.

I’m sure our proud jellyjooks are having a hell of a time making fun of us plastic pullers, gym rats, sport sissies, and what nots, but it is truly astonishing to witness the amount of effort being spent taking down OPs with genuine interest in this beautiful region of the country as it relates to, well, climbing. Good job boys. I salute you.

So in the spirit of the time, the subject of this post is genuine as well - is this really the worst sub-forum on MP? Or am I missing out on all the ingenious trolling and tremendous knee-slapping jokes going on in all the other forums? Please indulge me.

Carry on, gentlemen.

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 1,065
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

jellyjooks?

Is that when someone is jealous of your juke box?

I would say hands down the absolute worst sub forum on MP is the "Uncle Grisley's Climbing Tips" forum. Man, I hate that guy.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Go back to Supertopo!

Godzilla is okay but his fans are real idiots NAWMEAN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0

It would appear there were not courses in "having a sense of humor" for you to enroll at MIT, non?

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262

"carry on, gentlemen" lol!!!!!!!!!! TRADIBAN

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

^^^^^ And there you have it. Your first 4 responders kinda sum up your premise.

As you were, trolls.

Ben Gleason · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 61

Seriously though, wtf is a jellyjook?

Jay Brenner wrote: It would appear there were not courses in "having a sense of humor" for you to enroll at MIT, non?

Jay, you are, of course, correct - they do indeed not have any courses on ""having a sense of humor" at MIT. Mostly, I presume, because it is understood that humor is more of an innate trait, as opposed to an acquired one. 

And here lies the crux of the problem - because the douchebaggery going around on this sub-forum has little to do with humor, nor is it particularly fun or even entertaining. Although I am sure the small clique of jellyjooks and minor-league trolls that call MP home would disagree. For the rest of us curmudgeons still discombobulated by the subtle art of climbing and hoping to participate in a forum dedicated to the purpose of discussing climbing in Southern California, it is rather tiring. Luckily for us humor-less sorry sods, we always have SuperTopo.

Gentlemen, see you at the crag - look me up if you need a belay.
brian burke · · mammoth lakes, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 165
Kristian Andersen wrote:

..the douchebaggery going around on this sub-forum has little to do with humor, nor is it particularly fun or even entertaining...

yep 

Robert Rowsam · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 230

They should make a sub-forum just for supertaco expats and tradiban

Godzilla is okay but his fans are real idiots NAWMEAN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0
Kristian Andersen wrote:

Jay, you are, of course, correct - they do indeed not have any courses on ""having a sense of humor" at MIT. Mostly, I presume, because it is understood that humor is more of an innate trait, as opposed to an acquired one. 

I would hesitate to agree that humor is primarily inherent, although by the time you reach the age that college is appropriate, you've likely reached saturation point for Nurture.  

And here lies the crux of the problem - because the douchebaggery going around on this sub-forum has little to do with humor, nor is it particularly fun or even entertaining.  Although I am sure the small clique of jellyjooks and minor-league trolls that call MP home would disagree. For the rest of us curmudgeons still discombobulated by the subtle art of climbing and hoping to participate in a forum dedicated to the purpose of discussing climbing in Southern California, it is rather tiring. Luckily for us humor-less sorry sods, we always have SuperTopo.

Gentlemen, see you at the crag - look me up if you need a belay.

I'm worried about two things:

1. You are seemingly unaware ST is kaput

2. You are operating under the erroneous presumption that an ostentatious vocabulary is a suitable substitute for substance and/or lulzy repartee.

2b.  You are offering a belay - at South Woodson we boulder out everything.  EVERYTHING.  Nawmean?
Jan Tarculas · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 927

I mostly agree with you. I see a lot of honest questions and serious topics posted by OPs here and they get way side track. There are a time and place for humor and jokes and it definitely gets out of hand (mostly in this sub-forum). There are way to many trolls in socal and it does tend to get annoying. I myself joke a lot, ask my friends and family, but damn people here take it to the next level. 

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: ^^^^^ And there you have it. Your first 4 responders kinda sum up your premise.

As you were, trolls.

per the "self proclaimed troll"

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Kristian Andersen wrote: I have been on MP for many years and I gotta say - over the past year, this sub-forum has become intolerable. I see OPs asking genuine climbing-related questions, only to be immediately ambushed by trolls left, right, and center - it’s absolutely impossible to have a thread stay on course.

I’m sure our proud jellyjooks are having a hell of a time making fun of us plastic pullers, gym rats, sport sissies, and what nots, but it is truly astonishing to witness the amount of effort being spent taking down OPs with genuine interest in this beautiful region of the country as it relates to, well, climbing. Good job boys. I salute you.

So in the spirit of the time, the subject of this post is genuine as well - is this really the worst sub-forum on MP? Or am I missing out on all the ingenious trolling and tremendous knee-slapping jokes going on in all the other forums? Please indulge me.

Carry on, gentlemen.

When you grow up you'll understand. 

If you want to be "in" on the fun, I will take you up the route of your choosing on Tah.

Tradiban wrote:

When you grow up you'll understand. 

If you want to be "in" on the fun, I will take you up the route of your choosing on Tah.

Looking forward to it. I assume this funnication (not to be confused with 'fornication') Tah Expedition will include knocking down a case of cold ones, followed by climbing The Hangover with a hangover. While, of course, talking trash about all the poor lesser climbers on MP that haven't quite reached the level of kings such as us. I expect nothing less from the Great Tradiban. I'll make sure to leave my Mesa Rim belay card at home and bring my rack (hexes, obviously).

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
Tim Stich wrote: jellyjooks?

Is that when someone is jealous of your juke box?

I would say hands down the absolute worst sub forum on MP is the "Uncle Grisley's Climbing Tips" forum. Man, I hate that guy.

I really wanted to know wtf a jellyjook is and it didn’t seem like the OP was planning to enlighten us, so I googled it - the first result is a series of hateful racist tweets. Now I’m not sure if the OP is pro- or anti- racist tweets, and I still don’t know wtf a jellyjook is. 

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 146
Kristian Andersen wrote:

Luckily for us humor-less sorry sods, we always have SuperTopo.

NEWSFLASH!
Supertopo forum shut down 3 months ago you sorry sod.

;-)
Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

Ages ago, the What's New/Colorado forum was a huge slanderfest. Daily adventures for years as the database was being constructed and egos clashed.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145
Tim Stich wrote: jellyjooks?

All I can picture is a fat cat laying on its back, just jooking the jelly, baby

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

OK, since Kristian won't reply to this question, according to Urban Dictionary a "jellyjook" is a master troll.

Gee whiz, you learn new things every day. I would say that is a plus for this sub forum. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Worst sub-forum on MP?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started