Mountain Project Logo

Ricks Road Bartlett NH

Original Post
beensandbagged · · smallest state · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Ricks road now (07/31/2019) has a locked gate 200/250 yards in with a couple of no parking signs as an exclamation point. IME crag and White's ledge can be accessed via Stanton Mountain trail can Pick o the liter and CMC also be access by this route / is there a better way? Thanks 

Nick Mazzaglia · · Beverly, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 0

You can just walk past the gate. I think that's easier access than sidehilling from the Stanton trail to the cliff. 

Mike Morin · · Glen, NH · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,350

I spoke with a USFS rep out of the Saco Ranger District about the locked gate a month or so ago. I was told it's not permanent and is the result of road maintenance that needs to occur.                                      

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

Since (a few yrs ago) a pvt house was put in near the "end" of the road there's always been a locked gate about as far "in" as CMC crag (about 3/4 mi ???) the road and the road has been in MUCH better condition than it was in the "old days".  If the "new" gate is 200 yds "in" then the issue is probably where it always used to be...there's a wet area that, in the past, sometimes even had logs and boards to drive on.  The "no parking" signs are probably due to someone parking and blocking the road for the owners of the aforementioned pvt house (who undoubtedly have a key to the Forest Service gate.

So much for speculation...

For CMC crag, Agreed....much easier to walk the road than to access from Stanton Trail.  (but, where do you park??  "On" the road, but pulled "off" so as not to block ??)  I once went in to White Ledge via the start of the Stanton trail with someone who knew the way well and I'd say it's a toss up...but, NOT if you haven't been that way before.  The path from Rick's road has been the "std" approach for so long...best to walk the ( 1/2 mile???  See GETTING THERE for White Ledge) on the road.

beensandbagged · · smallest state · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Thank you

Nick Mazzaglia · · Beverly, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 0

The above description is best.
There is a private beach entrance for residents of the neighborhood, right nearby. As long as the beach road and Rick's Road are not blocked, all is well.

The neighbor across from RR, has posted no parking signs. The beach parking has gotten quite busy with as many as 20 cars recently. Local residents are a little vexed by the traffic it has seen recently.

The road story is a much longer tale. Hatfields and McCoys type stuff that has the water commission and USFS involved in the gating and access issues.

-Nick

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Is this the road that accesses Endevor?

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

Yes, Nick  Endevor and all of White's Ledge and CMC Crag.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Ricks Road Bartlett NH"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started