Mountain Project Logo

Help Me Sucker my Non-Climbing Friends into Bouldering??

Original Post
Q C · · Indianapolis, IN · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 1

I will be in Boulder in mid-August with some buddies for a fantasy football draft get-together. Although they do not climb, they like to hike and do other outdoor activities. We were hoping to get out and do a night-hike one or two evenings and I was hoping that I could find a hike that "just so happens" to lead to some boulder problems where I could put down some lights and set up a little spot for us to chill and do a little bouldering. As a new climber, I have only climbed up to about V2 thus far so I would be looking for a place with a good selection of moderates. At first glance, looks like Mount Sanitas or one of the Flagstaff areas may be a good option. However, I have not been able to find rules regarding access at night. Any beta is very much appreciated. Would be happy to link up with anyone looking to partner up 8/10-8/12 as I'll be out there by myself for a bit before my friends fly into town. Take it easy!

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Satellite Boulders in the Flat Irons would be a good spot.  I’ve seen my fair share of photo shoots in the area so I doubt you’ll have any complaints.

It’s also off the main hiking path and in the woods so it shouldn’t bother anyone.

Rocket Alchemy · · Louisville, CO · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Ben Pellerin · · Spaceship Earth · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Won't the pad give away your sneaky plan? 

Ben Pellerin wrote: Won't the pad give away your sneaky plan? 

Ah, get out of here with your "logic" lol. I never said I'm smart! In all seriousness, though, I'll have the crash pads pre-loaded in the car..   

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

have you tried roofies?

Josh Lipko · · Charlotte · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

If “they like to hike and do other outdoor activities,” just let them hike and do other outdoor activities.

Josh Lipko wrote: If “they like to hike and do other outdoor activities,” just let them hike and do other outdoor activities.

haha, that is what we are doing.. would just be nice to take advantage of an area with both as a couple of the guys have expressed interest in giving it a try and it'd be nice to not make a whole separate trip out of it in case they don't like it and would rather do something else. 

Charlie Martz · · Fort Collins · Joined May 2017 · Points: 45

Consider Eldo, hike the climbers approach trail, oops looks like there's lots of climbing here. Proceed to climb the naked edge with your pal, great intro to high ball bouldering.

Charlie Martz wrote: Consider Eldo, hike the climbers approach trail, oops looks like there's lots of climbing here. Proceed to climb the naked edge with your pal, great intro to high ball bouldering.

Haha just a bit above my paygrade.. Looks like an awesome line, though. Definitely stoked on trying to develop my knowledge and climbing ability as best as I can so I can (eventually) look at routes like that with a straight face. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Quentin Collins wrote:

haha, that is what we are doing.. would just be nice to take advantage of an area with both as a couple of the guys have expressed interest in giving it a try and it'd be nice to not make a whole separate trip out of it in case they don't like it and would rather do something else. 

Why do you have to trick them if they want to give it a try?

Jonathan Brown · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
mediocre wrote:

Why do you have to trick them if they want to give it a try?

I get what he's going for.  I used to try it all the time in highschool.  "Oh, look... a blanket way out here in the middle of nowhere.  What a coincidence."

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

Flagstaff is your best bet for bouldering close to the car, Sanitas is a bit of a schlep up to the bouldering. OSMP (Open Space and Mountain Parks) parking lots are typically open until 11 pm, but I have never had problems with evening access, camping is another issue altogether! Eldorado closes at dusk. The Spot has good indoor bouldering and might actually be a better first introduction to the sport. Enjoy your trip!

Mark A · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 96
Ben Pellerin wrote: Won't the pad give away your sneaky plan? 

"This is just what I hike with, I saw some other people with one and thought it was a great idea, like if I fall down"

Daniel Chen · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 115

I'd say Flagstaff if probably your best bet. Maybe start up by the monkey traverse area or by first overhang and then hike down the path? There's a lot of different boulders that way but it's not necessarily a full hike. 

John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 159

Be forewarned... virtually anything on Flagstaff/Sanitas that's good quality and V2 or easier will be highball.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Help Me Sucker my Non-Climbing Friends into Bou…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started