Mountain Project Logo

Shagg

Original Post
ItaliAnna Manzo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 40

To beta questions
1) How'a the weather considering temps and sun exposure in August?
2) what are the camping options near Shagg?
thanks!
Anna

Tyler Smith · · MA · Joined May 2012 · Points: 110

Hey Anna,

Shagg gets morning shade in the summer time-- usually until around 1 or 2.  I've only ever climbed there in the summer and remember it being pretty nice in the mornings.

Not so sure about camping around there. My bet would be on federal land around Bethel, but I have no direct experience.

Don Eiver · · Westchester County, NY · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 27

Hi Anna-
I climbed at Shagg last summer. Temps were typical for the east coast in the summer (mild in the morning, humid and hot in the afternoon and evening). Ditto what Tyler said; you’ll be in the shade until about 1 or 2pm. Re: camping, check out grafton notch campground via the following link. I have no personal experience with it but found it online in preparing a return trip to Shagg at some point. Let me know how it turns out for you! mainetoday.com/maine-outdoo…

Zach Swanson · · Newton, MA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 36

There are a few RV camps in the area within 30min of shagg that do tent camping for like $10, with great facilities.

August is going to be pretty hot at Shagg, I think Sept-Oct is best season. When the sun is on the crag around 1, you will roast.

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

There's also a campground in Evans Notch, (NH & ME Rt 113) although more than 1/2 hr away you're close to other climbing in Evans Notch itself.

Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

I’ve climbed at Shagg quite a bit during the height of summer over the years.  Like Tyler pointed out, mornings until about noon or 1 are good, then after 4pm, the sun begins to dip behind the cliff offering tolerable (by east coast standards) evening conditions.  I’ve never had to camp there, but I have seen folks car-camping in the small pullout up the hill from the trailhead.  Not sure how legal that is, though.  

Shagg is New England’s hidden gem—you won’t be disappointed! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Shagg"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started