Mountain Project Logo

Front Range Wag Bags

Original Post
David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

The BCC provides free wag bags at assorted climbing areas in Staunton, Clear Creek, Eldo, the Flatirons and Boulder Canyon. They are located in metal boxes on posts at the base of the cliff or at trailheads and are re-stocked by volunteers. Please carry out your used wag bags and dispose of in the trash. The metal boxes are meant for new bags, not disposal of used ones.

Thanks!

Dankasaurus · · Lyons, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85

Thanks BCC!  

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

is a wag bag the same as a poop bag?

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

This is badass! Way to go, BCC

Hayden Moore · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 50
Redyns wrote: is a wag bag the same as a poop bag?

Yes. 

T G wrote: Wow. Really unfortunate this needs to be said.

It doesn't happen often but a few people seem unclear on the concept!

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

Thanks, too bad they are always empty these days. I haven't found one not empty in a while...

Skibummin11 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks for making note of this. Unfortunately many of these dog owners can care less and think the dog shit fairy is going to come and dispose of the bag. Pretty sad

Dylan Cousins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 156
Matt Pierce wrote: Thanks, too bad they are always empty these days. I haven't found one not empty in a while...

Matt, since you're commonly stopping by these things and finding them empty, you should consider helping to refill them. Message me and I can put you in touch with the right people so you can help!

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Dylan Cousins wrote:

Matt, since you're commonly stopping by these things and finding them empty, you should consider helping to refill them. Message me and I can put you in touch with the right people so you can help!

he gotcha there!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Bret Files wrote: Are those the little bags you pick up your dog’s poop with and then leave sitting by the trail?

No.

http://www.cleanwaste.com/go-anywhere-toilet-kit

But well played if you were punning!
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Bret Files wrote: Wait...now I’m actually confused.  Is BCC putting out Cleanwaste “go anywhere” kits for human use or the dog-shit sacks that the apparent “dog-shit-fairy” seems to be picking up?  Either way, good on ya and thanks HoboGreg for being such a great citizen.  Also, there are human use kits (wag bags?) at turkey rock too, fyi.

They're for human use. WAG means: Waste Alleviation and Gelling. Nothing to do with canine tails.

Wag Dog on a re-stocking mission at Der Zerkle:

If you are finding the boxes empty I'm guessing that you are in Clear Creek or at Tiers of Zion. We generally try to re-stock once a week and every time I've been up to Tiers we have gone through 20 bags in a week. Our hope is that people will get in the habit of buying and carrying their own bags. If you appreciate the bags please consider donating to the BCC. If you want to know what other great things they do check out their web site:
https://www.boulderclimbers.org/
BCC programs include trail maintenance, bolt replacement, wag bags and bird nesting observation.

Monty · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,520

In response to the empty posts: My wife, Lisa, and I regularly stock the Staunton wag bag post.  We've seen (and confronted) a handful of people grabbing as many wag bags as they can fit in their packs.

Related to this, I was leaving for a trip to the desert and wanted to buy some wag bags for the trip at Bent Gate in Golden.  They were out of bags, but the sales person recommended that I drive up to Little Eiger in CCC and "stock up".  That was super lame...   It's too bad that some people completely take advantage of this community resource.

John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 154

Some people are unemployed and are barely scraping by.  I think the free bags should mostly go to them, because their only other practical choice is to poop in the woods, which is not sustainable at these popular crags.  I've donated to the BCC before and will again because they do important work not only with wag bags by with promoting healthy use of a precious resource (FRCC, RMR and the Access Fund deserve a shout here too!).

If you are employed and can spare a few dollars for your own bags, they're not that expensive.  Don't pay $6.98 ea on Amazon (where RESTOP sells them to the public).  You can find them for much less ($2.95 right now from http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/11780).  I bought a box of 50 and just put a couple in my pack any time I'm heading out.

Why a couple?  Well, I get nervous.

And I often end up giving some of them away.  

Help out if you can afford it please!  Some crags in Europe are having access problems due to human waste accumulation... let's not have this in CO!

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
John RB wrote: Some people are unemployed and are barely scraping by.  I think the free bags should mostly go to them, because their only other practical choice is to poop in the woods, which is not sustainable at these popular crags.  

Unemployment is at the near record low level of 3.7%.  If someone who is recreating in the wild doesn't have a job today it is because the choose not to.   Hell, even fast food like Good Times burgers and Custard is advertising all over the front range $14 per hour.  

John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 154
Eric Carlos wrote:

Unemployment is at the near record low level of 3.7%.  If someone who is recreating in the wild doesn't have a job today it is because the choose not to.   Hell, even fast food like Good Times burgers and Custard is advertising all over the front range $14 per hour.  

Yep, some people choose not to have a job.  Or to live on very little money.  Those people are likely to think, "I don't want to pay $3 per poop" and they'll just poop in the woods, or take a free bag if it's there.  I think this is what the bags are for (along with helping out those of us who forgot a bag that day, or those of us who didn't know there was an easy near-odorless way to pack it out).

What the bags are not for (in my view at least) is to allow engineers who make $180k/yr to save a few bucks by taking 4-5 of them every time they see a stocked box.
Skibummin11 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Hobo Greg wrote:

That would be me https://www.instagram.com/p/BKrKUAcBj1R/?igshid=11keagu7iyfvm

Thank you!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Front Range Wag Bags"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.