Mountain Project Logo

TR for young kids near Leavenworth?

Original Post
Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16

I'm going to be near Leavenworth (and Vantage) mid week this month. Can anyone make a recommendation for easy, safe, fun crag to set up a TR for 2-3 young kiddos around 5 yrs old? Walk up or lead sport or trad all fine. I've never climbed at either crag. Vantage had a few bolted 5.easy routes which are tempting but the crag doesn't seem to have much in the way of facilities or back up activities if the kids decide climbing is terrible, so I was leaning towards LW but surprised to see it is comprised of many small crags which made searching a little daunting. Thank you!

Ben Pellerin · · Spaceship Earth · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0
Kyle vH wrote: I'm going to be near Leavenworth (and Vantage) mid week this month. Can anyone make a recommendation for easy, safe, fun crag to set up a TR for 2-3 young kiddos around 5 yrs old? Walk up or lead sport or trad all fine. I've never climbed at either crag. Vantage had a few bolted 5.easy routes which are tempting but the crag doesn't seem to have much in the way of facilities or back up activities if the kids decide climbing is terrible, so I was leaning towards LW but surprised to see it is comprised of many small crags which made searching a little daunting. Thank you!

Gyms are a great place to introduce young kids to climbing

A A · · WA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 523

Hi - I would recommend a place called Barney's Rubble in Icicle Creek. It's a nice slabby area with climbs 5.6 to 10a. It's a perfect place to bring your kids. Easy to set TR. Very safe as well. Here's the page for that: mountainproject.com/area/10…  

Jeromy Markee · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 581

Barney's rubble, Bruce's boulder

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16

Agreed, the kids did learn the basics in a gym setting. Thank you for the beta here and messages all, much obliged. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "TR for young kids near Leavenworth?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started