Mountain Project Logo

WA earthquake - any affects?

Original Post
Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

I’ve always wondered what would happen on some of the bigger glaciated peaks when earthquakes strike. Any big serac collapses or anything?

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

Only if you leave your pack filled with C4 in the sun!

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

I suspect you'd find answers to that question in the AAC's Journal / Library.  Try a search.  Think you'll find the answer is "Yes !  Big Sh-t can can, and does, come down."

Magpie79 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

There was an avalanche that hit Everest base camp during the earthquake in Nepal. What gets unleashed is going to depend on how stable the snow pack is, how steep the slope is, and how strong the earthquake is. Whether or not you get hit by any resulting Avalanche is going to depend on where you are at the time.

The Cascadia subduction zone could unleash a magnitude 9.0 or greater. It did in 1700, which caused an "orphan tsunami" in Japan.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

You wouldn’t even think about falling seracs because all the volcanoes would erupt at the same time sending giant lahars toward the major urban areas just in time to meet the tsunamis rushing toward humanity. 

Total destruction.

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Alright I’m back! I left just after the quake and have traversed the Cascades North to south.   No seracs have fallen, but mostly because they are all melted out from global warming.  

On a serious note, I live about smack in the center of that quake zone and didn’t feel a thing.  My wife claims she thought I threw a pillow at her in the middle of the night, so maybe that was the quake.

Headed back up Rainier in 2 weeks, this quake came just in a enough time Sit in the back of my mind on the climb. 

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191
Dan Cooksey wrote: Alright I’m back! I left just after the quake and have traversed the Cascades North to south.   No seracs have fallen, but mostly because they are all melted out from global warming.  

Thanks Dan. But did you remember to first traverse the Cascades S to N to see the positions of the seracs beforehand? Sorry, but all that work might have been for nought.

Ben O · · Vancouver · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
Jon Nelson wrote:

Thanks Dan. But did you remember to first traverse the Cascades S to N to see the positions of the seracs beforehand? Sorry, but all that work might have been for nought.

You are correct! Be back in a few hours.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "WA earthquake - any affects? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started