Mountain Project Logo

when to call it quits on resoling TC pros

Original Post
joe trabucco · · Boulder, co · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I'm going on the 5th or 6th (not sure) resole on my TC pros. What is the point of "enough is enough; it's time to retire them?"

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Joe Trabucco wrote: I'm going on the 5th or 6th (not sure) resole on my TC pros. What is the point of "enough is enough; it's time to retire them?"

When you die soloing with them on.

Attentive Follower wrote:

You're an idiot   

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I'm up to 3 resoles on mine and have wondered the same. As long as the leather is holding up I suppose you could go on indefinitely.

abe r · · Boise, ID · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 180

who needs edging and such for place like the creek, maybe have a devoted Creek pair or something?

abe r wrote: who needs edging and such for place like the creek, maybe have a devoted Creek pair or something?

True #johnnyblazeeee

Zacks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 65

Mine still edge fine on 3rd resole.  And I like them with c4 anyway.

Hope they keep going for 5+ resoles that's awesome!

I plan on resoling mine until they are totally dead.

Rock Monkey · · Bonita · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 15

Where are you getting these resoled at? I've been trying to decide on a place and the forums have mixed reviews on a # of the resoling shacks. BTW, I'm on my first pair of TC Pro's. WOW, what a shoe. 

Daniel N wrote: Where are you getting these resoled at? I've been trying to decide on a place and the forums have mixed reviews on a # of the resoling shacks. BTW, I'm on my first pair of TC Pro's. WOW, what a shoe. 

Rock and resole, Boulder Colorado 

Crag Cat · · wow Boulder, big surprise · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 36

Quick shout out to La Sportiva, any shoe I've bought from them is a shoe I still have because they last so freaking long. 

Ky Dame! · · The West · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 150
crag cat wrote: Quick shout out to La Sportiva, any shoe I've bought from them is a shoe I still have because they last so freaking long. 

Cool Thanks.

Connor Dobson · · Louisville, CO · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 253
Attentive Follower wrote:

Is it even possible to fall with them on? 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Lol they’re actually exceptional falling shoes.
-not particularly sticky
-no sensitivity
-mediocre edging unless you size tightly

They’re fantastic at many things, but definitely not perfect.

L Kap · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 105

Rock and Resole will continue to resole unless the leather is rotting. Even if the stitching is a little blown out, they will try to fix it.

The other reason to give up on resoling is if it is changing the shape of your shoe in a way you don't like. Which happens, since it's still basically a hand-crafted process.

This video is really interesting to watch, if you haven't seen it. youtube.com/watch?v=JLyiFKD…

Katia M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
L Kap wrote: Rock and Resole will continue to resole unless the leather is rotting. Even if the stitching is a little blown out, they will try to fix it.

That was what I wondered... would a shop continue to resole shoes that really shouldn't be resoled?  And if not, I guess trust them to tell you when it's time to get with the Frozen fankids and "let it go"?  (And if so, I guess I'd wonder at the shop...)

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Ted Pinson wrote: Lol they’re actually exceptional falling shoes.
-not particularly sticky
-no sensitivity
-mediocre edging unless you size tightly

They’re fantastic at many things, but definitely not perfect.

I think that is exactly what Honnold said after free soloing El Cap.

L Kap · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 105
Katia M wrote:

That was what I wondered... would a shop continue to resole shoes that really shouldn't be resoled?  And if not, I guess trust them to tell you when it's time to get with the Frozen fankids and "let it go"?  (And if so, I guess I'd wonder at the shop...)

I think "really shouldn't be resoled" is a fuzzy concept and a personal decision. I literally yesterday took a pair of old shoes to R&R that are no longer made. They're the best shoe I've ever found to fit my foot and I really want to keep them going if I can. R&R is local to me so I was able to go in person. The staff person who took my shoes examined them carefully and told me that they're borderline, and they might not be able to do the resole if, after taking off the sole, they find that the leather isn't in good enough condition or if the stitching has unraveled too much. She said that if the cobbler can't do a credible resole, they'll return my deposit, but the shoes will have the sole off. I am happy with their explanation and the professionalism of this process. 

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Katia M wrote:

Katia: I don't think any reputable re-soler will put more rubber on a shoe that is clearly done in.  I have had good luck with several re-soler's over 25+ years climbing. Positive Resoles most recently did an excellent job for me. The Rubber Room was awesome as well. Rock and Resole did a good job, but the turn time for them was pretty long (6 weeks). 

If you don't mind Trax rubber, Yosemite Bum is supposed to do good work...I have not tried them yet.

I don't think any of these places will slap rubber on a blown out shoe...Tony Puppo (The Rubber Room Resoles) let me know that a pair of Mythos I sent him were not going to be able to be resoled, because I had worn through the leather and had actually worn some of the midsole away.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Greg D wrote:

I think that is exactly what Honnold said after free soloing El Cap.

In shoes that are sized 5 sizes down from his street shoes.  Just because it works for Honnold doesn’t mean it will work for us mere mortals.  By the way, I own two pairs of TC Pros.

WoodyW · · Alaska · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 70

Just keep re-soling them until the leather is worn out or until the re-soler/cobblers tell you the shoes are done for. A climbing buddy of mine has a pair of Mythos that he said has been resoled 15 times. Getting 6+ resoles out of your TC's shouldn't be a problem. Keep going ;) 

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Ted Pinson wrote:

In shoes that are sized 5 sizes down from his street shoes.  Just because it works for Honnold doesn’t mean it will work for us mere mortals.  By the way, I own two pairs of TC Pros.

Does down sizing make rubber more sticky?  

I own them too.  But, I'm over them after many years and 3 pairs.  Happy to sell mine for dirt cheap.  Moved on to Scarpa Maestro for my all day shoe (as if the TC wasn't expensive enough).  
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "when to call it quits on resoling TC pros"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.