Mountain Project Logo

Help to 3D Scan The Boulder Problem?

Original Post
Nick Gilmore · · Sydney · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Hey all,

We're looking for someone to help us 3D scan The Boulder Problem. Living in Australia makes it challenging for us to do this ourselves. So we're excited to hear if anyone's interested in getting involved!

Some more details...

We've been working on replicating climbing routes for the last couple of years. We've nailed our manufacturing methods on local routes and are now keen to replicate the world's best.

The scanning will involve taking a careful series of photographs and measurements. We can train you up on how to do this in a couple of hours and the scanning itself can be done in about 3 hours.

We'll then post-process these and manufacture a replica set of climbing holds.

The end goal is to replicate the famous climbing routes at indoor gyms, so the whole community can get a taste of something they might have otherwise missed out on.

If you're interested reply below or shoot me an email at nick.gilmore@twinclimbs.com

Cheers

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

This is kinda wierd...

Climbin Symon · · Ventura, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

So if you climbed Midnight Lightning replicated in a gym....... 

Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120
Climbin Symon wrote: So if you climbed Midnight Lightning replicated in a gym....... 

Haha Most still probably wouldn’t pull the mantle on the real deal without a 3’ thick gym pad under them. 

It sounds like a pretty cool idea though. It’d beat climbing on holds that are beyond ever looking or feeling natural on a work or rain day.
Dhayan Roark · · Crowley Lake, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 10

Ugh. Just stop. 

J P · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 465

If you build it, they will come [but probably not actually].

“Yay, a one-off boulder problem perfectly recreating something that already exists! Our setters will be besides themselves with excitement!” 

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16

It's interesting to think about how this technology can be used to document historical climbs as they inevitably degrade, whether or not they are manufactured in to something climbable. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
J P wrote: If you build it, they will come [but probably not actually].

“Yay, a one-off boulder problem perfectly recreating something that already exists! Our setters will be besides themselves with excitement!” 

That happens to be 2000' off the ground that most climbers will never see for reals.

take TAKE · · Tempe, AZ · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 186

Which boulder problem?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

I’m guessing the one called The Boulder Problem on Freerider, the alternative to the Teflon Corner. 

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87
Nick Gilmore wrote: 
The end goal is to replicate the famous climbing routes at indoor gyms

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87

Lidar scanning drone. Probably need permission for flight.

https://www.dronezon.com/learn-about-drones-quadcopters/best-lidar-sensors-for-drones-great-uses-for-lidar-sensors/

What about intellectual property rights for climbs? If it is on government property, its not a problem, but...

Tony L · · San Carlos · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 832

So it sounds like you want to hire someone to rap down freerider, set up a professional camera rig, and take 3hrs worth of photos of the boulders problem pitch. This sounds more like "is there a professional photographer close to Yosemite who can spend two-three days on an experimental photo shoot?"

Having been involved with a 360 photo shoot on the Nose, it's way more involved and time consuming than you would think.

Presumably to get a reconstruction you will need the camera out quite a ways from the wall - bipod setup or something. Does this involve any DSLR camera or a custom scan rig? It sounds like day 1 get up east ledges to the top, rap down with gear, jug back up and camp out. Day 2 spend all day setting up, shooting, tear down, jug up. Day 3 maybe discover something was off and repeat day 2's work again. Also there's the half day of training before anything gets going. 

I'd reach out to a local professional (Jim Thornburg or Corey Rich). Or for the cost, buy a plane ticket out here in Sept/October.

I'd maybe hire someone to shoot midnight lightning first and go from there.

(Also for commercial photos in the park you may need a permit - not sure and you are probably liable should someone get hurt/die. Just because you are in Australia doesn't mean you cannot be sued in a US court - be careful who you hire.)

Cron · · Maine / NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 60

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.” 

Ryan Sheridan · · Yosemite Village, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 35

I could help in October.  Not easy seeing as Freerider is one of the more popular routes. Dm me if you want to talk , I’ve been working on rigs like this for years 

Uri Erubey · · Escondido, CA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 46

I tried doing some 3D scanning and then printing some holds to replicate some climbs around my area.
Too bad 3D scanners suck, and if you're using photos and multiple angles the best you can get is the basic size/edge of the holds but not texture, dimples, etc and forget anything that has negative space..

Unless you guys nailed it, in which case awesome.

Plus it is a great idea. Its not as if anyone climbing these replicated routes will think they did the real thing. Its just fun.

Colby Wangler · · Reno · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 321

The most legit way to blow your onsight..... 

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16
Ryan Sheridan wrote: I could help in October.  Not easy seeing as Freerider is one of the more popular routes. Dm me if you want to talk , I’ve been working on rigs like this for years 

Unsolicited advice: Make sure they pay you, your expertise is valuable and it sounds like this is a for profit endeavor. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Help to 3D Scan The Boulder Problem?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started