Mountain Project Logo

RACK ENVY

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 146
Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120
Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain wrote:

The chicken head is key 

Khoi wrote:

Bouldering is way better - trad climbing sucks!

I'll buy those Aliens off of you  

No can do hoss, they’re for my tr anchors.

Drtysmelly Hippie · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0
Mickey McDowell wrote:
it's growing!

You have more belay devices then Some small guide companies. I’ld sell half that shit and buy more cams/gear you really need. Just my .02 

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0
Gary N wrote: I call it The Circle of Life [saving equipment].

Everything looks so shiny and new.  You should get out and try using that gear.

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0
Mickey McDowell wrote:
it's growing!

More shiny unused gear.

Drtysmelly Hippie · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0
Mickey McDowell wrote:
Camera didn't do much justice on the wear, but yeah a lot of it is new, hence it is growing! Yay! I don't have to bribe my friends for passive anymore! Was looking forward to comments like Too many belay devices! And other constructive and funny at my expense criticism!

Ok, I’ll play along. Forget the belays...Wtf do you need 4 hollow blocks for?! And 2 PAS?! I think one of the 20+ draws could suffice. Nice rack BTW...my opinion is leave the adj. crescent wrench at home. Bring more water. 

Jason Arrow · · NH · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 10

Decided to start upgrading, like too much

Jason Arrow wrote: Decided to start upgrading, like too much

Dang someone actually got their dragonfly’s 

Mickey McDowell wrote: My 16 yr old son and girlfriend both send harder than me! Multiple people multi pitch.

I wouldn’t have an issue getting dragged up the wall 

Jason Voss wrote:

#soft

#flaccid

Gosh Glance · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 4,382
Greg Miller wrote:

Greg, where can I get a storage beast like that? What keywords should I be googling/where can I buy one?!?!?!

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
Josh Glantz wrote:

Greg, where can I get a storage beast like that? What keywords should I be googling/where can I buy one?!?!?!

OCD-R-US

Once you pack your gear often enough, you realize that any sort of wall display is just for that - displaying. Efficient storage and packing means keeping the gear in bins or backpacks, in bundles. Keep your standard cam rack on a sling - throw sling in bag - done. Keep your cams all sorted for display, now you have to pick each one up individually then what - clip to a gear sling, then put into the bag?
That type of "storage" is simply to show off your sweet trad rack; either to your sporto friends or to MP on the "rack envy" thread.

Other than that, I have no feelings on the subject.
Bill B · · WNC · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Matt N wrote:

OCD-R-US

Once you pack your gear often enough, you realize that any sort of wall display is just for that - displaying. Efficient storage and packing means keeping the gear in bins or backpacks, in bundles. Keep your standard cam rack on a sling - throw sling in bag - done. Keep your cams all sorted for display, now you have to pick each one up individually then what - clip to a gear sling, then put into the bag?
That type of "storage" is simply to show off your sweet trad rack; either to your sporto friends or to MP on the "rack envy" thread.

Boom roasted. And also so true...

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Gear wanking is not climbing...

L Kap · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 105
Matt N wrote:

OCD-R-US

Also - unnecessary exposure to sunlight and dust on non-climbing days.

+1 for gear bins. Preferably in a dark closet. 

Matt N wrote:

OCD-R-US

Matt- thank you kindly for your insight. I've been packing my gear for decades now, but I always appreciate a smartass response. Normally, I'd spare you and the rest on this thread the superfluous details, but since you provided unsolicited- and frankly, useless- information first, I'll reciprocate in kind! Perhaps you have an enlightened solution beyond bins or bags?

I live in a small apartment and don't have room for more bins besides the two giant ones that are currently filled to the brim w/ backpacking gear. If I had more space, I'd just buy another bin and be done. Working with what I've got- the back of a closet is all I have left, and I'm looking for a way to hang the gear so it's off the floor, which is also occupied. My ever-growing collection of climbing gear is currently draped over the closet's dowel, on dedicated 120cm slings (1 trad/1 sport). Although the slings keep everything off the floor, I have to slide them out of the way or take them off every time I want to access my two backpacks behind, which I keep pre-packed for adventures. I've found that pre-packing allows for a much speedier exit on Fridays after work (i.e. stuffing the gear in the bags is out). Sliding them is fine, but I have other things on the dowel, so it's become a bit of a (first world) pain in the ass.

Long story short- the rack Greg has would serve all my needs- it fits in the closet corner, keeps the gear off the floor and out of the way without the need for sliding slings, and it doesn't appear to be overly expensive. It's not for displaying to anyone other than to myself and serves a 100% functional purpose (though I would find it aesthetically pleasing).

P.S. if I was going to "show off [my] sweet trad rack" to my "sporto friends or to MP," it wouldn't be in the far back corner of the closet in my extra bedroom.
Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

^Josh, we started our efficient packing of gear b/c we used to have a shit ton of stuff in a small apartment with no balcony and limited storage. Get one of those heavy duty racks that you see at HD or Costco, with 4+ adjustable shelves - buy a few of the storage bins and they fit 2 per shelf, plus other gear. Climbing gear in one, ropes in another, backpacking gear in another, snow gear in another and so on. We also had SCUBA and surf gear stored along that same wall in our living room (we now have more storage space and don't have to use the living room where we live now).
I just don't think a peg-board or open rack is an efficient use of space. Racks/shelves and bins are better and you can take them with you when you move.

something like this, is what we have times a few now:

Seriously stack them full of your gear - sleeping bags and pads go up top. You can use a rod setup between them to hang wetsuits, or other items.
I could be wrong, but I strongly feel that this is more space efficient and much more packing efficient than an open/display type of storage.
 (edit: shit! "extra bedroom"!?! You have all kinds of room compared to what we had to work with. Do whatever works best for your space - we were pretty limited.)
chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Gear wanking is not climbing...

according to that AAC report, this may no longer be true   

Matt N wrote: ^Josh, we started our efficient packing of gear b/c we used to have a shit ton of stuff in a small apartment with no balcony and limited storage. Get one of those heavy duty racks that you see at HD or Costco, with 4+ adjustable shelves - buy a few of the storage bins and they fit 2 per shelf, plus other gear. Climbing gear in one, ropes in another, backpacking gear in another, snow gear in another and so on. We also had SCUBA and surf gear stored along that same wall in our living room (we now have more storage space and don't have to use the living room where we live now).
I just don't think a peg-board or open rack is an efficient use of space. Racks/shelves and bins are better and you can take them with you when you move.

something like this, is what we have times a few now:

Seriously stack them full of your gear - sleeping bags and pads go up top. You can use a rod setup between them to hang wetsuits, or other items.
I could be wrong, but I strongly feel that this is more space efficient and much more packing efficient than an open/display type of storage.
 (edit: shit! "extra bedroom"!?! You have all kinds of room compared to what we had to work with. Do whatever works best for your space - we were pretty limited.)

Thanks for the heads up dude! I've seen these, but have so far decided against one as they won't fit in the closet with the drawer system I currently use to house smaller gear. **See picture below from earlier this year (when my refreshed trad rack was still sparkly)**

Out of frame- to the right- are the snow shoes, jackets, and so forth. This is where I was envisioning Greg's rack. To the left of my arm are two inflatable stand-up paddle boards in giant bags, on top of a huge cooler. Recently, a friend of mine also recommended your racking system, so now I'm reconsidering. If I got rid of/moved the cooler, and shifted the SUPs further left, I might be able to fit the rack you suggest and the drawers.

And yeah- extra bedroom is tiny with a super long closet. When my roommate moved, I turned it into a weight room/storage space (too lazy to drive to the gym 3x/week). My apartment isn't huge, I just have way too much crap- the real problem.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "RACK ENVY"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started