Mountain Project Logo

Patching urethane on a haul bag

Original Post
J Sundstrom · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 188

Got a haul bag for pennies but it some of the urethane is coming off. I found this: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/108578114/any-good-ideas-on-patching-vinyl-haul-bag but I'm wondering what other things people might suggest. Just looking to round out my info before I go to a sail shop for patches and buy a speedy stitcher.

Thanks!

Paul W · · NY · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 1

Gear aid seam grip applied over the damaged areas might be worth a shot. At the very least it would make the bag waterproof prior to a more durable patch. Maybe consider contact adhesive and patches of urethane.

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

Gear aid makes "Aqua Seal"  Really tough stuff!  (I think it's just a "thicker" version of their seam grip.)  Usually takes 8-12 hrs to set up, 24 for full strength.  They also sell it with an accelerant.  Finally, they have a UV-activated version that sets up in, like, a minute or less in sunlight (but, since it's in a much smaller tube, is much more expensive).

I'd use the regular stuff, and put a film on both the outside and inside of the bag. (let one side cure before doing the other)

Sean B · · Portland, OR · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 10

I make backpacks for canyoneering out of this same material. The fabric is PVC vinyl coated polyester. You can use HH-66 vinyl adhesive with some scrap vinyl patches (find an industrial fabric supply shop, inflatable boat shop). Follow the guide, it forms a bond that's as strong or stronger than the original material.
HH66 how to guide youtube.com/watch?v=3SRSWOD…

Awesome, thanks for the feedback everyone. I also wrote Metolius and the rep told me not to bother with anything if that's the extent of the damage but I'm a bit inclined to do something... At the very least to keep things dry were I to get pinned in a storm.

Also @Sean B, Metolius claims that the material is Durathane (as opposed to vinyl coated polyester? Out of my league on this topic) but I wasn't able to find a spec sheet on it. Do you think HH-66 would work on whatever it is? Assuming this older model uses that material.

Macks Whineturd · · Squaw · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0
J Sundstrom wrote: I'm a bit inclined to do something... At the very least to keep things dry were I to get pinned in a storm.

Put something on there, duct tape or something stronger.  But your load will still be soaked in a storm since a haul bag is not a dry bag.  

Christian George · · Home-yes, Town- no · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

Don’t do anything to it. That was the most durable haulbag ever made, the riveted years.
The inside is still coated right?
Duct tape or seam grip on the outside will only make a mess and do nothing important.
As said above, it’s not a dry bag, water can seep in through the top cordura.

The best thing you can do is to build a foam “bucket” out of cheap sleeping pad foam from Walmart.
Trace a circle the size of the bottom of the bag, then cut a band to duct tape onto that. (Short strips work better)
If you want to get spiffy, make it the height needed so that when you put your pad in above it, the top of your pad is just below where the cordura meets the durathane. This makes is easier to get the pad in the right place in the morning when you pack up.
The bucket helps keep the shape and prevents the kinking that cause that damage in the first place. And it cushions the water bottles at the bottom a little from impact.

Keeping the bag smooth greatly reduces friction and snagging. 

Jacob Kenney · · Westminster, CO · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

3M 5200 will stick to nearly everything and is flexible and waterproof. Go crazy and coat the whole bag for 100% peace of mind even.

No, the inside coating is also coming off! Same points. I figure it was stored high in a garage where the creases got weak from heat cycles.

I ended up getting some PVC vinyl + industrial glue from a local boating shop. Haven't gotten around to patching it yet but will report back. Might even try a few different things for science since there are so many tiny holes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Patching urethane on a haul bag"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started