Mountain Project Logo

Holcomb Valley via Van Dusen Canyon, OK for low-clearance vehicles?

Original Post
J W H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

All I got is the Prius. Can I get up to the parking areas on these roads?

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
J W H wrote: All I got is the Prius. Can I get up to the parking areas on these roads?

There's plenty of low clearance vehicles in the parking lot on any given day, often a prius or two.

Van Dusen is less rugged than Polique.

Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120
J W H wrote: All I got is the Prius. Can I get up to the parking areas on these roads?

You can just drive slow and pay attention to the dips. They recently graded the trails back there so it’s a lot better than it was a month ago. 

J W H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Thanks everyone!

Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120
J W H wrote: Thanks everyone!

Also pay attention to weather. If it’s rains, which it shouldn’t to much anymore you could be stuck out there. And now that I think about it right as you come into the parking lot there’s a good size dip you most likely won’t make it over. Just park outside and hike if you can’t.

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,622
Sloppy Second wrote:

There's plenty of low clearance vehicles in the parking lot on any given day, often a prius or two.

Van Dusen is less rugged than Polique.

Van Dusen is rockier towards the tee junction - these are small rocks, sub-surface, or on the surface - small hatchback suspension systems are not designed for this kind of punishment - so while most cars can "make it" in the long term the terrain is bad for these vehicles. Polique Canyon has yet to be graded, and yes it has some problems still although I think they can be mostly avoided.

So to answer the OPs question; yes you can make it to the South Parking Area in a Prius...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Holcomb Valley via Van Dusen Canyon, OK for low…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started