Mountain Project Logo

Gear thief in Yosemite

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Luke Anderson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

PSA to all you valley climbers:
NPS has arrested this man, Devin multiple times for theft from camp 4. He seems to be fairly active on the partner finder here. I have known multiple people who have had gear missing after going climbing with him. Attached is a photo of the flyer that is going around. Be safe, all.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

Another post from 2 weeks ago

Ryan Sheridan · · Yosemite Village, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 35

He is still trolling the base of climbs looking to raid stashed gear. Be carful out there Yosemites , this man is not welcome here. 

Chimney Dyl · · Bend, OR · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

I climbed near/with him about two weeks ago. He passed us in a party of three on After Seven and I didn’t realize he was tagging along with them until later in the day. He didn’t know how to tie a clove hitch but claimed to climb 5.10 in the valley. An Australian guy he was with questioned him about his lack of clove hitch abilities to which he said “I’m just never safe”. Later that day we TR’d with him at Swan Slab and he looked really insecure on Grant’s Crack. Regardless, I’m really glad we decided to not get on anything with him with my gear out. It looks like he may have used my name in that note looking for partners. He also claimed to know a lot of employees which is how he got free food and housing. I can’t remember what name he gave us but I wouldn’t be surprised if his name isn’t Devin. 

From bigwalls forum 

Scum bag lurking the valley
This is Devin, he has been staying in the valley since February. Since that time he has been arrested 3X and has been sustaining himself by preying on tourists and the climbing community. He has stolen from employees, and other fellow dirtbags. He will lie about working in the valley in order to convince you to let him “borrow” gear . He is also know to troll the base of climbs looking for stashed gear. He does not work here and is NOT welcome in Yosemite . If he has stolen from you , use the following email to report it    Perrin_pring@nps.gov

Edit: Multiple female climbers and employees have also receive unsolicited sexual advances from him. When asked to stop the harassment continued. Multiple incident reports have been filed with The concessionaire. The digital harassment didn’t stop until he was blocked on all social media platforms . He is a predator

Matt Wetmore · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 504
BillS wrote: Sorry if you lost gear - but something about this story just cracks me up.

The Center of the Universe transforms in 2019 to the Center of the Ghetto.  All we’ve ever held sacred and close in climbing has been sold out to a mass audience.

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta - in this new reality.

I blame Free Solo.

Lol get the fuck outta here dude. I met Devin when I was in the valley and he sketched me out too. It sucks that he's stealing gear but there's no reason to make it racist. Your barely-disguised dog whistle of "center of the ghetto" and "damn it feels good to be a gangster" is not necessary.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Probably with pretty severe personality disorder or other mental illness. I hope he gets the healthcare he needs.

R D wrote: Went by “Yosemite Working Climber” on MP for a while, now listed as Devin Andretti. Climbed with him for one day, I didn’t experience any sexual harassment but I was really sketched out by his claims of experience vs. his actual knowledge. Bailed after 1 pitch of  warmup on Swan Slab Gully because I felt unsafe with him as a partner, he stole another friend’s gear on that same day.

He seemed like a newer, psyched climber who just wanted to learn but was going about it the wrong way. 

Please have your friend email the NPS representative in my post above 

Matt Wetmore · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 504
BillS wrote:

I deleted my post because it seemed dumb and a bit heady, not because I thought it was racist.  Those lines are are just as white-bread as they are black in our culture, I can find a dozen refences either way - it’s you who saw it only one way.

The point - I find this guy’s behavior awesome and over the top.  I look forward to one of you new age millennials helping him get in touch with his feelings - while us 40-50 somethings realize this guy isn’t going to go away until he gets his ass kicked.

You didn't think it was racist but it was. If there was no picture would you have used those words?

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Does he have a full rack yet?

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567

Booty finder

This went in the wrong direction , and I hope the MODS take note. This is not a race issue, it is about someone taking advantage of a very giving and welcoming community. It is a public safety concern. Some of the strongest and kindest climbers I know are African American.  Devins race has nothing to do with his disruptive actions , and it is disingenuous to try divert attention away from his blatantly criminal behavior. 

Jake Thomson · · Yosemite · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 5
Sebastian Ghimpu wrote: caped-baldy
maybe I'm the idiot for coming from Europe with a open mind and no bad thoughts about climbing with a black person and even if I saw that he has some issues I tried to talk to him (also about him smoking weed too much)  and also offered him 2 times to not complain to the rangers if he admits that he tried to steal my gear...but I got screwed and now I'm 100 $ lighter. It was my first contact with a black climber and as I said I won't be climbing again with any of them ! I had my bad experience and I don't want to repeat it. I know that not all people are the same, this could have happened also with a white guy, but this is my personal choice.
So for sure you're the IDIOT here caped-baldy with your so called "racism" !!!

one time i ate a bad donut, so i decided that all donuts are evil and I never ate donuts ever again.

L Kap · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 105

It appears that this guy Devin is a thief, a liar, a predator, a sexual harasser, and an unsafe climbing partner. Anyone who thinks the color of his skin is the most important thing about him, or deterministic or predictive in any way, is being racist. Making jokes that highlight his skin color is also racist. We live in a deeply racist society and are all capable of thinking, saying, and doing racist things. Recognize and fight your conditioning.

Thanks to the op for the warning, and my sympathy to anyone who was stolen from. Unless this experience makes you more racist, in which case I'd rather climb with a known thief than you. 

L Kap wrote: It appears that this guy Devin is a thief, a liar, a predator, a sexual harasser, and an unsafe climbing partner. Anyone who thinks the color of his skin is the most important thing about him, or deterministic or predictive in any way, is being racist. Making jokes that highlight his skin color is also racist. We live in a deeply racist society and are all capable of thinking, saying, and doing racist things. Recognize and fight your conditioning.

Thanks to the op for the warning, and my sympathy to anyone who was stolen from. Unless this experience makes you more racist, in which case I'd rather climb with a known thief than you. 

Bravo 

John Stoneham · · taunton ma · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 10
L Kap wrote: It appears that this guy Devin is a thief, a liar, a predator, a sexual harasser, and an unsafe climbing partner. Anyone who thinks the color of his skin is the most important thing about him, or deterministic or predictive in any way, is being racist. Making jokes that highlight his skin color is also racist. We live in a deeply racist society and are all capable of thinking, saying, and doing racist things. Recognize and fight your conditioning.

Yawn. Thanks captain. 

Austin Wainwright · · Arico, Tenerife · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 40

Pretty sure the guys stole because he is a dick, skin color has nothing to do with it. Just makes it easier for you to isolate him because it makes you feel better that he wasn't white and thus doens´t identify with you. Jeeezzzz. 

August McKinney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 10

So there is a guy in Yosemite who is highly suspicious and shouldn't be trusted. His name is Sebastian. Got it 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

It's almost like a game in society to see who can yell "racist" first. Such a knee-jerk reaction. (this should cue someone to call me a racist in 3, 2, 1...)

Keith Reed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 261
Billcoe wrote: Isn't that racist posting a photo of the only black climber out there?
Definitely not the only black climber. He’s the only one I’ve heard of who has been accused of theft. Has he been convicted? If not you’re just spreading manure. 
Maybe you should expand your circle of climbing friends. 
Gabe Schwartz · · Hope Valley · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 5
FrankPS wrote: It's almost like a game in society to see who can yell "racist" first. Such a knee-jerk reaction. (this should cue someone to call me a racist in 3, 2, 1...)

Someone posted that he now won't climb with black people...

We are just calling a spade a spade here.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started