Mountain Project Logo

Wind river range conditions?

Original Post
garrett K · · salt lake city · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 148

I'm headed up there in a little under two weeks. Anybody know how how conditions are currently or prediction on what it will hold with this high of a snowpack?
I did find this thing saying the road wasn't open a week and a half ago but don't know if that has since changed.

https://www.greatoutdoorshop.com/blog/2019/05/25/trailhead-conditions-report-5-25-2019/

Neil L · · Casper, wy · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1

I doubt you could even make it to Iris without postholing right now. If the roads are open expect a lot of washouts and mud. The Winds are probably out for at least another month, maybe more. Unless you are skiing.

Astra Lincoln · · Victoria, BC · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Bumping this up because I'm also curious! I've been planning a trip for ages with the hopes to hike into the Cirque of the towers a week from today. I realize that the road is still closed. Wondering if anyone's been back there yet!

Joey Jarrell · · SLC · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 145
Astra Lincoln wrote: Bumping this up because I'm also curious! I've been planning a trip for ages with the hopes to hike into the Cirque of the towers a week from today. I realize that the road is still closed. Wondering if anyone's been back there yet!

I'm betting you'll want snowshoes

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225

You WILL want skis or snowshoes.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

100% guarantee snow. It was a hefty winter, and the spring has been very cool. 

S E · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 878

How is the approach to the Cirque of the Towers currently? I saw that some routes have been ticked on MP within the last few days

Ģnöfudør Ðrænk · · In the vicinity of 43 deg l… · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 2
Taylor Spiegelberg · · WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,676

It's probably going to snow up there in the next few days but you could probably get back in there. Trail heads are open.

Ryan Dresser · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 81

Let me know Garrett! Ill be out there early Aug...
PS... Hope Salt Lake is treating you well.  
Good luck bud. 

garrett K · · salt lake city · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 148

Our plans got canceled, since the road to get in was closed at the time.  So i don't know how conditions are unfortunately. 

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 55

Taken a few days ago (see peaks in the BG)
Jackson Parks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 80

Has anyone been into Titcomb basin yet this year?  I'm curious as to what snow conditions are like between Elkhart trail head and Bonney pass.

Mulch · · Jacobstown, NJ · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 1,259

Heading up to the Cirque this weekend to do Wolf's Head. I'll post pics if successful.

John E. Pearson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 0

Is it as all likely we'll need snow shoes on the hike up Glacier trail to Gannet in late July? I've been assuming we would not. 

Norm Larson · · Wilson, Wy. · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 60

no you won't need them then.

Sarah-Min Donahue · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 50

Following

Boris Yaworsky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0
Becca L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Following. Curious how conditions are. Thinking about heading up there this week.

John E. Pearson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 0

We're hoping to summit Gannett around July 23 give or take a day or two. It seems like the snow bridge is pretty likely to still be solid then? Any opinions? We're trying to decide whether to bring protection and if so what to bring. I know a lot of people cross the bergschrund without protection. But there are enough stories about people falling through or punching a leg through it seems like we probably should protect it. We haven't been on a glacier since we climbed Rainier a dozen years ago. 

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225
John E. Pearson wrote: We're hoping to summit Gannett around July 23 give or take a day or two. It seems like the snow bridge is pretty likely to still be solid then? Any opinions? We're trying to decide whether to bring protection and if so what to bring. I know a lot of people cross the bergschrund without protection. But there are enough stories about people falling through or punching a leg through it seems like we probably should protect it. We haven't been on a glacier since we climbed Rainier a dozen years ago. 

Don't carry extra gear to protect a 10 ft section of snow. On a year like this, the snow bridge will be in well into August. If you really feel the need to, a single picket will do fine. But then you're hauling a section of rope, a harness, a belay device, etc... 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Wind river range conditions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started