Mountain Project Logo

Eureka/Arcata CA?

Original Post
E J · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 10

Any climbers in the Eureka area with any thoughts on the climbing community and quality of life in Eureka? Might be taking a 3 month summer position in town

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567

Find evanwisheropp on IG. He makes it looks amazing

Danny Herrera wrote: Find evanwisheropp on IG. He makes it looks amazing

Damn. Followed. Thanks!

Ryder Dschida · · McKinleyville, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 874

There's a Facebook (if you have it) group "Humboldt Climbing Community." Check it out! The community is small and tight-knit. You usually have crags all to yourself on climbing days. Quality of life is great if you're outdoorsy and cool with being rained out from climbing for weeks on end from November-May. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask here or PM me.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Spent 5 years up there with school and work. Plenty of limestone and sand stone sport climbing and bouldering to keep you busy, especially for a few months. Quality of life is great and everything in town is bikeable if you're in Arcata. Fun local farmers market every Saturday. Could be a culture shock coming from DC but in a good way IMO. Beaches are 5-30min away depending on where you want to go. Trinity Aretes, Promontory, Castle Rock, and So-So Grotto (an odd-ball granitic crag) are all great. Depending on the temps Marble Caves or Land of the Lost are also fun but routes can cook in the sun. Lost Rocks, Ossagon, and Houda Point have great bouldering.

Lurker on here has done a bit of development up there and could also chime in but I'd say it's probably one of the more unique areas to be a climber in the country, just don't expect bulletproof rock and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ryder Dschida wrote: There's a Facebook (if you have it) group "Humboldt Climbing Community." Check it out! The community is small and tight-knit. You usually have crags all to yourself on climbing days. Quality of life is great if you're outdoorsy and cool with being rained out from climbing for weeks on end from November-May. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask here or PM me.

Thanks! If I get an offer I'll definitely check it out. I'm used to being rained out for DC area climbing, ha

Lurk Er · · Truckee, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5,289

Quality of life is high - although I'd take Arcata over Eureka.  Arcata is smaller, college-town vibe, easy to ride your bike everywhere, and has a climbing gym. Eureka is a bit grittier (I mean, compared to Arcata). Plus, Arcata is closer to anywhere you'll want to climb in the summer, and has better access to trails, beaches, and rivers, IMO.

The climbing community, particularly people that regularly climb outdoors, is relatively small but very welcoming.  I'd just go into the gym or go on the mentioned Facebook group and you'll probably find some partners fairly quickly.  

For route climbing, Trinity Aretes (limestone), Land of the Lost (quartzite), and Promontory (sandstone) will be your best bets for the summer. The rock at Promontory isn't exactly bullet but the setting is unmatched and the climbing is good.  Killer swimming holes on the Trinity River on the way home from the Aretes. Land of the Lost can get hot, but generally fine if you chase the shade. Like Ryder said, you'll probably have most crags to yourself on most days - if you're coming from anywhere with busy crags, it's kind of a shock.

Other than that, the beach bouldering is really good and summer is prime time.  There's some bouldering that's practically in town (Moonstone/Houda Point); if you go further north, Lost Rocks is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever climb.

In short - it has to be better than D.C!  PM me if you want any more info.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Eureka/Arcata CA?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started