Mountain Project Logo

Why Do Some Climbers HATE Bouldering?

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Julian H wrote: Good way of getting hurt. It will not kill you it will do some damage. Not to mention sitting around and doing nothing 

If you think you sit around doing nothing bouldering you should try properly projecting a sport route, 45 minutes sat in a harness while the climber barely moves more than 4 meters while he tries moves with all the different beta under the sun. This is also while being somewhat violently jerked towards the wall as the climber falls, again and again and again. 

Bouldering it's like a 5-10 minute break between serious attempts with lots of climbing for everyone while you  all work out the beta. 
J-Wright · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 0

Bouldering is hard and scary. I've never hit the ground trad, sport, or ice climbing.

Rock Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 179
that guy named seb wrote:

If you think you sit around doing nothing bouldering you should try properly projecting a sport route, 45 minutes sat in a harness while the climber barely moves more than 4 meters while he tries moves with all the different beta under the sun. This is also while being somewhat violently jerked towards the wall as the climber falls, again and again and again. 

Bouldering it's like a 5-10 minute break between serious attempts with lots of climbing for everyone while you  all work out the beta. 
I think you’re projecting wrong ... 
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

==THE JURY IS STILL OUT == IS CHALK AID?==

Philip Lutz Wrote:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     It is probably the most simple way to climb. Find Rock. Climb Rock. (Don't Die.)

It is the basis of all other rock climbing

Do some Climbers Hate Climbing?

Rock Climbing Is an exercise in futility & nothing emphasizes that more than Small rock Yo-Yo-ing

Bouldering came first , Every fall is a ground fall.  Pads help,  Pads are aid,  Pads ruined bouldering

Pursuing purity is brutally honest, It is a "SEND-IT" game; Send or Fail -  No cheating

"Beta" is cheating, Chalk Tick marks are cheating, Spotting is cheating, Pads are cheating

The reason for hating on anything is always the same; If one can't rise up to game ? Try to tear it down.

Pebble Wrestling,  Pad people,  Small Rock Messaging, Boulder Massaging,  Bare`back `Bienie`Wankers,                                                                                                                           Stone Ticklers, Rock Tickers, Yankin' Wankers, Yank`n planters, Tough-Tuggers,  Ugly Landers (come`n go splat' I'L'smoke that & Spilt* beer) *Spilled Brew is a sin to a few

The thing is rock climbing should be defined by the "verb"  "Climbing",
& not by all the modifiers now applied to it: "Hanging out Catching some pad time" - hang or dangle till you get up something.
june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 110

Every  fall is a ground  fall, I am not afraid of falling, I am afraid of the  ground. 

Mike Grainger · · Waterloo, ON Canada · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 286

I enjoy all forms of climbing - mountaineering, adventure/choss new routing, trad climbing, sport climbing and, yes, bouldering.  I get a little something different out of each of them.  I'm not all that strong at any of them, but I am enthusiastic.

I find bouldering (both indoor and outdoor) to be complementary to my other climbing - it is a very efficient way to maintain what strength I have.  Outdoor, I often boulder with only one pad and no spotters.  This encourages accurate assessment of the difficulty of a problem, which transfers to trad route reading.  Solo highball bouldering demands that you know your limits and know when to commit and when to back off.  I find this is very good for my trad lead head.  

I like to travel for climbing, and bouldering can be very accessible when you visit a popular area without a partner or gear.  I have met a lot of friendly people while bouldering, although I hardly match the typical demographic .

After more than ten years of bouldering, up to my current age of 65, the worst injury I have had from bouldering was a bruised heel.  Maybe I have just been lucky, but you do not have to hurt yourself bouldering.

So, I really don't understand "why some climbers HATE bouldering".

Russ B · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 42

I don't really think it's that anyone hates bouldering.

It's that everyone, hates boulderers. 

Ty Gilroy · · Great White North · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 10

Its pebble wrestling. If you think youre a real climber you are only cheating yourself

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Russ B wrote: I don't really think it's that anyone hates bouldering.

It's that everyone, hates boulderers. 

Well, scooooooz me. ;-)

Best, H
ryan albery · · Cochise and Custer · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 290

A funny quote, I think maybe from Tim Toula, ‘I love everything about climbing, except the actual climbing.’

Go Back to Super Topo · · Lex · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 285
that guy named seb wrote:

Bouldering it's like a 5-10 minute break between serious attempts with lots of climbing for everyone while you  all work out the beta. 

45 minute rule bro. Lower after 45 minutes on the wall. Does everyone good. 

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Go Back to Super Topo wrote:

45 minute rule bro. Lower after 45 minutes on the wall. Does everyone good. 

I'm more of a three strikes and you're out kinda guy, especially if the climber isn't really going for it.

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

Boulderers are the Flat Earthers of climbing 

Candice Huizar · · Austin, TX · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

I think I get it now... it’s a predominately male sport and y’all just like to talk shit to each other. Lmfao. Now it all makes sense. Well I’ll see y’all out there. 

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

If you want to talk more to bouderers about this, visit Boldering.com There you can see what chuffers are and why roped climbing is so hated.

Wilburn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 386
Elena Sera Jose wrote: I challenge any boulderer to jump on a 12 draw sport 10 or a trad 100ft 7 and manage to keep their balls in the sack!

Done! Do I get a cookie?

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Wilburn wrote:

Done! Do I get a cookie?

So you have graduated to climber status! From boulder bro to climber man youve come a long way!

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

In answer to the OP.....because the dream isn't 15 ft. tall.

To me bouldering is just practice for bigger routes.

I no longer boulder because I kept popping finger tendons, which really sucked. I refuse to get hurt and out of the game for some fucking 12 foot high boulder.

Go Back to Super Topo · · Lex · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 285
m Mobes wrote:

I'm more of a three strikes and you're out kinda guy, especially if the climber isn't really going for it.

That’s harsh man. 

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Bouldering is OK, but dangerous.
Watched a guy become a cripple.

I think trad and even sport climbing is more fun, and people who put down aid probably suck at it. When you are good aid takes you places free climbers never see.

But 99% of climbers will never know the thrill and joy of soloing a big virgin route.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Why Do Some Climbers HATE Bouldering?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started