Mountain Project Logo

Devils Tower Voluntary Ban

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Clea Taylor wrote:

I'm not surprised you don't have a partner.

They all have jobs...or are dead.

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

The June ban on climbing is voluntary, the June argument on MP is mandatory.

Neil L · · Casper, wy · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1
Marc801 C wrote: Never trust anyone who peppers their posts with “SJW” and “virtue signaling”. These terms are designed to shut down dialog, not to have any sort of meaningful discussion. 

NEVER EVER EVER even talk to anybody that uses the term SJW or virtue signaling. It is an obvious sign that they do not compromise and are closed minded. I repeat, if someone uses the term SJW or virtue signal ignore them, do not engage, do not listen, for their views are irrelevant and shouldn't even be considered. Use of these two terms is an obvious sign they will never join the side of inclusivity, open mindedness, and celebrating the different experiences and viewpoints of others that us SJWs beleive in. 

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Neil and Cassidy wrote:

NEVER EVER EVER even talk to anybody that uses the term SJW or virtue signaling. It is an obvious sign that they do not compromise and are closed minded. I repeat, if someone uses the term SJW or virtue signal ignore them, do not engage, do not listen, for their views are irrelevant and shouldn't even be considered. Use of these two terms is an obvious sign they will never join the side of inclusivity, open mindedness, and celebrating the different experiences and viewpoints of others that us SJWs beleive in. 

I count three uses of 'SJW" in your post. That's why I'm telling you that I'm not talking to you.

rees labree · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 314
Jake wander wrote: “I don’t want to start an argument but here is the same question that has started 400 argument threads in the past”

Sorry dude - just had a simple question, is the 'ban' something people actually follow? Hard to gleam this information from 400 argument threads. Correct answer is about 75% of people respect this ban, based on the Access Fund article someone posted on page 1. 

I linked the article and edited that answer into my original post, anyone who searches this topic from now on should be able to find that response right away and can peruse the rest of the thread if they want opinions why or why not they should respect it.
curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Buck Rio wrote: I hope you grow up someday to realize the fucking sacrifice every veteran has made so you can be such an imbecile.

Buck, i don't think anyone is down playing the respect our veterans deserve.  we're trying to get you to see how ridiculous your previous comments were.

you are basically telling us to respect our veterans, but you refuse to respect people of different religions. I hope you see the irony in this... BOTH groups deserve respect

Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10
Garth Wadsworth wrote:

As shitty as these people are, I'm not sure how this is helpful to anyone? 

sarcasm, Garth. Sarcasm.

Neil L · · Casper, wy · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1
Sloppy Second wrote:

I count three uses of 'SJW" in your post. That's why I'm telling you that I'm not talking to you.

I consider the proclamation that you are unwilling to engage in a respectful exchange of ideas with me as virtue signaling. 

curt86iroc wrote:

BOTH groups deserve respect

I support the troops and religious figures on a case by case basis. 

Last year I was at a gym and a Marine tried to start a fight with a gym employee then took it out on a ficus outside in frustration. I do not support THAT troop.
Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 105

A more recent newspaper article:

Matt Wenger · · Bozeman · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 3,979

It just means choose not to climb there in June. They technically can't stop you, but just avoid it. It strains relations.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Sean Peter wrote: A more recent newspaper article:

You just know that someone is going to believe that!

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25
GDavis Davis wrote:

...Last year I was at a gym and a Marine tried to start a fight with a gym employee then took it out on a ficus....

At least the Marine had the courage to stand up to his superiors....it galls them to no end to be disrespected by a ficus. 

Mark Pilate wrote:

At least the Marine had the courage to stand up to his superiors....it galls them to no end to be disrespected by a ficus. 

He kicked it real hard but kind of grazed the stem, not unlike Charlie Brown and the football, so gathered himself up for another kick that landed square and shook a bunch of leaves off it. I think he was satisfied with that strike because he walked off after. We were very impressed in the mezzanine. 

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488
Neil and Cassidy wrote:

Interesting. Someone who doesn't realize the irony of ignoring others because of language they use, and justifying it because it is assumed that they are close-minded.

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25
Dylan Pike wrote:

Interesting. Someone who doesn't realize the irony of ignoring others because of language they use, and justifying it because it is assumed that they are close-minded.

Dylan, I think the irony comes full circle back to you...thay was being facetious. 

Glowering · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 16

I have a picture somewhere of a climbing bolt and hanger inside the dome at St Peters. Somebody sent it! JK it was probably for hauling something heavy up the stairs.

When I was a the tower in June a local told me do what you want. Most people don’t show  disrespect by climbing. But if it’s your one chance to climb there go ahead and do it. We went to the Needles that trip. 
I concur with the above that you can have an issue with a person or war or military action and still respect “the troops”. Drove me crazy during the Iraq war when they equated not supporting the war with not supporting the troops and people bought it. Propaganda. 

Plenty of my family are veterans.

There’s a range of sacrifice and earned respect  between someone like my uncle who faught in WWII and was a prisoner of war and dealt with health issues the rest of his life because of it (or even more so the people that have died in service) and someone who did the minimum service and never saw combat. 

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488
Mark Pilate wrote:

Dylan, I think the irony comes full circle back to you...thay was being facetious. 

Perhaps. I went back and re-read his posts, and you could be right. It can be hard to tell via the internet. 

Yukon Cornelius · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

wtf does the military have to do with this at all? this is the worst thread ever. lmao

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

What part of "voluntary" are some people here failing to grasp?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Devils Tower Voluntary Ban"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started